LOST IT ALL

craig_sez

A few days ago i got my butt into gear and decided to install my new gtx 1070 xtreme gamer vid card,more ram and test the rift out....

Put it all together and nothin..System was dead..After some testing it turns my cosair power supply bought the far and was only puttin out 5 watts.....Weird how that suddenly happens when my pc has been off for a cpl months..

Out i got for a new one...Installed it and bbbzzzz bbbbbzzzzzz flames n smoke for a brief moment..

For some odd reason my hard drive shorted and i lost everything except my i5 and(rift wasnt plugged in nor my peddles or thrustmaster) board/ram....Poor visa took a beating..

Not that i spent alot of time on dcs(work and health come 1st)but now i gotta start from scratch again...

So has there been any add ons i should grab that i missed out on other than the jets i bought and a few extra missions??

Gonna have to look through old posts to get back in the swing of things..

The "SCALES" of aeronautical performance will weigh heavily on your next move..

yikes man! The only thing that comes close is when my Brother-in-Law walked up to his PC, (it was powered on). Went to grab his mouse, and he felt a static discharge that went from his middle finger, through the seam/space of the right mouse button. He heard a small pop, and it fried his motherboard.

what a b*tch...

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I once lost everything except my CPU, tower case and monitor when my bargain basement power supply let all of it's smoke out one day. The room smelled like burned wiring all day. It fried itself plus the motherboard, RAM, graphics card, hard drives, sound card, X-52Pro HOTAS, rudder pedals, and even the keyboard and mouse. I've purchased only EVGA gold certified power supplies since.

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

blk swan..Its all done now...Just gotta set up my sim gear and start everything again..Not that i spend alot of time on dcs but still..

Did some reading and seems cosair power supplys are known for killin gear so ya all keep that in mind when you make the next purchase..

Wasnt a big fan of windows 10 either so now im back to 7..

The "SCALES" of aeronautical performance will weigh heavily on your next move..

I once had a PC that caught fire (was an internal light that actually flamed up). Quickly put it out. Shockingly, the PC still worked fine after that. Literally there were open flames inside the case, and yet everything still worked. Cleaned up the soot inside, and used that PC for another couple years. Crazy.

The bottom line is, don't cheap out on the PSU. If it fails catastrophically, it can take the intire PC with it in a heartbeat.

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

The bottom line is, don't cheap out on the PSU. If it fails catastrophically, it can take the intire PC with it in a heartbeat.

+1 !

I used to fix PC's for a living and still do it for friends and family, next door people and alike.

Over those many years I have seen numerous cheap PSU's taking the whole PC with them into the grave.

Dont try to cut corners when you buy a PSU, it can serve you well for 2-3 PC's life if you buy the right one and keep your computer clean inside. Dust is one source for overheating, popped caps and little shorts across dust crumps, seen that all and took my lessons.

If you live in an area where power is not "clean" and outages come every now and then, thunderstorms and alike, then get a good UPS with a sinus wave kind of current, not the cheap rectangular versions for little money, they wont serve you well and harm your parts over time.

APC is usually my choice for aftermarket UPS devices ( Smart-UPS ).

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Did some reading and seems cosair power supplys are known for killin gear so ya all keep that in mind when you make the next purchase..

Mind posting the actual models involved? I would suppose it was the VS-series or perhaps even CX?

Corsair doesn't make its own PSU's and the quality varies greatly between the different series.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

• 1 month later...