Need help with take off - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-02-2019, 08:05 PM   #1
jfri

Default Need help with take off

I always fail the take of because the plane steers to the left until leaving the runway. I try to counteract with right brake but it is insufficient and also seem to prevent me from reaching take of speed. What can I do here ?
jfri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:17 PM   #2
Ala13_ManOWar

Lock the tail wheel, and keep the stick stuck in your belly until you build some airspeed (like 70Km/H, then release gently or you'll fly off too soon), it'll run mostly straight the runway without further notice until tail begins to raise, then be ready with the rudder to counter unwanted veers, though just accepting as a matter of fact you won't run the exact runway centre line ever is better for your health. Needless to say using Ata 1.2-3 or so, don't go full power or make power changes once power is up unless you like seeking troubles. And all that sequence lasts like 10 seconds or less so be quick.

S!

Last edited by Ala13_ManOWar; 11-02-2019 at 08:20 PM.
Ala13_ManOWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:57 PM   #3
jfri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ala13_ManOWar View Post
Lock the tail wheel, and keep the stick stuck in your belly until you build some airspeed (like 70Km/H, then release gently or you'll fly off too soon), it'll run mostly straight the runway without further notice until tail begins to raise, then be ready with the rudder to counter unwanted veers, though just accepting as a matter of fact you won't run the exact runway centre line ever is better for your health. Needless to say using Ata 1.2-3 or so, don't go full power or make power changes once power is up unless you like seeking troubles. And all that sequence lasts like 10 seconds or less so be quick.

S!

Yes I lock the tail wheel (FAST) according to instructions in the tutorial. Also full right rudder and it still wont. No matter how much I counteract left turning tendency I go off the runway to the left sooner or later.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:05 PM   #4
slickdevel

Use full down trim. Use brakes as much as needed to keep going straight.
slickdevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:35 PM   #5
jfri

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdevel View Post
Use full down trim. Use brakes as much as needed to keep going straight.

Problem is that if I use brakes as much as I need then I don't gain enough speed. And sometimes the needed right brake seem to be more than brake possible.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:49 PM   #6
razo+r
Veteran

It is impossible to not gain any speed with pressing the brakes. The engine is enough powerful for that.

You have to options:

1) Not use full power, so it is easier to control

2) Full power and right rudder with breakes to quickly speed up until you don't have to press the brakes anymore.
razo+r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:49 PM   #7
Ala13_ManOWar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfri View Post
Yes I lock the tail wheel (FAST) according to instructions in the tutorial. Also full right rudder and it still wont. No matter how much I counteract left turning tendency I go off the runway to the left sooner or later.
That doesn't sound like the tail wheel is locked (latch in forward position), nor brakes are working correctly. You already said they are, but you sure your brakes aren't inverted, both in side (left-right) and axis working direction?

S!
Old 11-03-2019, 12:18 PM   #8
Art-J
Veteran

We're running in circles here and OP's confusing posts don't help. @jfri, let's start with basics:

a) since the module is your new purchase, are you sure you disabled the takeoff help in its special options?

b) post a track or two showing your takeoff attempts, only then we'll be able to see what's really going on there.
Old 11-03-2019, 03:46 PM   #9
jfri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art-J View Post
We're running in circles here and OP's confusing posts don't help. @jfri, let's start with basics:

a) since the module is your new purchase, are you sure you disabled the takeoff help in its special options?

b) post a track or two showing your takeoff attempts, only then we'll be able to see what's really going on there.

Confusing posts ? The take off assist has been 100 and 20 (now and also in the Spit otherwise take off is to difficult in that plane). Do you mean it should be 0 ?
At any rate I now have been able to take off. I discovered one thing not being done correctly. The trim stabalizasor was supposed to be set so that a indicator showed one. During the taxi take off tutorial I pressed the wheel only once which triggered the tutorial to continue making me think it was correctly set. I have found that I need to click it several times in order to get a value 1 displayed
Old 11-03-2019, 03:48 PM   #10
jfri

Quote:
Originally Posted by razo+r View Post
It is impossible to not gain any speed with pressing the brakes. The engine is enough powerful for that.

You have to options:

1) Not use full power, so it is easier to control

2) Full power and right rudder with breakes to quickly speed up until you don't have to press the brakes anymore.

I have tried to follow the instructions in interactive tutorials thus power 1.2 release brakes increase to about 1.35