Coordinate Conversion

Backy 51

Does anyone have an application or algorithm to convert Latitude/Longitude coordinates into the X/Y Grid coordinates DCS uses in it's lua files?

Does anyone know what coordinate system the DCS X/Y Grid system is?

Edited by Backy 51

I don't need no stinkin' GPS! (except for PGMs :D) :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Don't think that you will find anything, you will need to develop it on your own.

The DCS Grid, let's call them DCSG coordinates, are based on a 1m grid like MGRS, however, MGRS is based on a UTM projection of DMS. The issue will be the lack of a common origin. The origin for DCSG in the Caucasus is somewhere south of the Crimean Peninsula. You could place a beacon at origin 0:0 and another one 1000km away then check its MGRS and DMS location to see if there is any correlation.

Another problem will be the direction of North. The MGRS is Oriented differently on the East and West sides of the map, the DCSG is oriented to the top of the screen. I think you would need a different calculation for each part of the map.

You would need to do this for each map since the DCSG origin is different on each map. An interesting intellectual exercise, I wish you luck in finding a solution.