How to fight K-50 efficiently

kunterbunt

I'm having quit a difficult time in a single mission I created where I'm fighting with a wingman in a Mirage 2000 against 4 Ka-50 helicopters.

I use 4 Magic missiles, but I hit maximum 2 of them with the missiles. The missiles are having a difficult time to track the Ka-50, probably because they are not hot enough?

Then i use guns.

This ends all the time by either me being shut down by one of the Ka-50 (using guns) or I'm out of ammo.

My wingman is not much better off.

Any Ideas how to do better?

Edited by kunterbunt
Sorry, used wrong name for the Ka-50

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | 64GB DDR4-3200 Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind rudder pedals | HP Reverb

attack helicopters are not easy prey irl, the usaf had exercises in the 70s pitting helicopters vs aircraft and every time helicopters proved difficult to acquire and kill. at one point helicopters were scoring 5:1 against f-15s and f-4s.

they figured out in the end it was best to stay the hell away from helicopters and just use bvr missiles against them.

Here's what i found, practicing to defend against human helo's on BF. I setup a very similar mission as yourself and I realized a few things. The guns on the mirage seem to have an upward angle on them, which makes sense. In a turn fight it gives the pilot a more optimal firing position, however, it means you have to place your nose well under the helo's position, risking a CFIT. I found diving down lower than the helo's altitude, leveling off, and entering into a slight climb (or high AOA if at a slower speed) in order to place the cross on the hud, at the rotor hub. Try to bore-sight lock the chopper, which should be much easier because now there is no ground clutter to filter out. Fire when in range. I found I would try and chase the A-A gun pipper, but after some practice found that placing the gun cross at the place where the rotors meet on the shaft, waiting for the pipper to move into an optimal location, and then firing, worked much better. Hope this helps... its also worth while turning the radar off and practicing without lock on. The same technique works with or without radar and stopped me from slamming into the ground. There is one additional problem, if you are online and decide going for a chopper is a good idea, make sure you are clear or have top cover. You're surrendering alot of PE to get so low as to tangle with a ka-50. The 530's loose alot of range that low, as well, so when going for a chopper you've effectively given the fight to a lurking opponent.

attack helicopters are not easy prey irl, the usaf had exercises in the 70s pitting helicopters vs aircraft and every time helicopters proved difficult to acquire and kill. at one point helicopters were scoring 5:1 against f-15s and f-4s.

they figured out in the end it was best to stay the hell away from helicopters and just use bvr missiles against them.

Wow, this is a simulation. With the f-15 it is easier, as the missiles are more capable. Still not easy and not a sure thing.

Last try with mirage was successful by letting my wingman attack and then attack 90 degrees to his Vektor. This way the k-50s cannot defend against 2 attackers at the same time.

I will try this tacktics again and see if I was just lucky.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | 64GB DDR4-3200 Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind rudder pedals | HP Reverb

Here's what i found, practicing to defend against human helo's on BF. I setup a very similar mission as yourself and I realized a few things. The guns on the mirage seem to have an upward angle on them, which makes sense. In a turn fight it gives the pilot a more optimal firing position, however, it means you have to place your nose well under the helo's position, risking a CFIT. I found diving down lower than the helo's altitude, leveling off, and entering into a slight climb (or high AOA if at a slower speed) in order to place the cross on the hud, at the rotor hub. Try to bore-sight lock the chopper, which should be much easier because now there is no ground clutter to filter out. Fire when in range. I found I would try and chase the A-A gun pipper, but after some practice found that placing the gun cross at the place where the rotors meet on the shaft, waiting for the pipper to move into an optimal location, and then firing, worked much better. Hope this helps... its also worth while turning the radar off and practicing without lock on. The same technique works with or without radar and stopped me from slamming into the ground. There is one additional problem, if you are online and decide going for a chopper is a good idea, make sure you are clear or have top cover. You're surrendering alot of PE to get so low as to tangle with a ka-50. The 530's loose alot of range that low, as well, so when going for a chopper you've effectively given the fight to a lurking opponent.

Interesting. Never tried from below, as I figured to better put myself between him and his rotor. Did not consider that the missiles might lock better. Keep forgetting how much simulation this actually is.

Will try this Taktik and report. But I must admit that I am a very bad shot with the cannon.

AI helis are a whole world apart from human controlled enemies. I have found it is pretty easy to kill them in mp. Usually a magic will do, if you want to save on 530s use the radar to acquire a lock pass the target to the ir seeker and turn the radar off.

If you can't estimate the distance to fire turn the radar on switch to boresight mode or vertical scan read range and turn off again. Doing it fast enough won't alert anyone.

Attacking from the same altitude helps but is risky.

Shoot near minimum range and switch to guns in case you miss or try guns only. He will be completely clueless what hit him. Careful with the gazelles carrying mistrals though.

Evade accordingly.

AI helis are a whole world apart from human controlled enemies. I have found it is pretty easy to kill them in mp. Usually a magic will do, if you want to save on 530s use the radar to acquire a lock pass the target to the ir seeker and turn the radar off.

If you can't estimate the distance to fire turn the radar on switch to boresight mode or vertical scan read range and turn off again. Doing it fast enough won't alert anyone.

Attacking from the same altitude helps but is risky.

Shoot near minimum range and switch to guns in case you miss or try guns only. He will be completely clueless what hit him. Careful with the gazelles carrying mistrals though.

Evade accordingly.

This was a good tip. I used radar and magic missiles now hit their target much more accurate. It looks as if the radar is irritating the Ai as they no longer use flairs.

Was 3 Times successfull in my mission.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I uploaded the mission I used to test the mirage-2000C against 4 Ka-50. Had a lot of fun and wanted to contribute.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/2751668/

4 Ka-50 attack helicopters have been spotted targeting Nellis airport.

You are stationed at Creech airport. Take off immediately with your wingman and take them out.

This missions was designed as a training mission for the mirage 2000 created and tested for dcs 2.1.1 and vr in oculus.

I suggest to turn gamma to 1.0, deferred shading on, lens effect to full and turn all shadows to full to enjoy the beauty of the morning flight and fight.