The Rookie Thread

Make sure to press and hold trim whenever doing ANY control inputs though...the only time I hands off the trim is on landing

I'm not sure I understand this. I thought the whole point of trim was to fix any extraneous axis movement in order to keep the bird steady while the cyclic is centered. Why is it useful to hold it every time you go to provide input?

Hi guys, I have just purchased this game after I found it on the net.

I have never played lockon or games from this company before so I'm not really familiar with how things work with their software.

I jockey around all day in an AS355 so flight isn't unfamiliar to me, I bought this game for the shootem up aspect. :) Getting my head around munitions/targeting systems will be my downfall.:book::lol:

First question is, I have a Microsoft sidewinder usb FF2 joystick and I've had no trouble assigning functions to it, but I also have a Logitech G25 racing wheel and I thought it would be nice to assign the rudder pedals to the G25 pedals but when I select the G25 in the setup screen and try to assign the rudder to them I get no response when I push the pedal. I know I can use the twist function on the joystick but that is really unfamiliar to me and would prefer to use the pedals. Can anyone help me set this up please?

I hope I can get my head around the shooting aspect and join many of you out there. ATM it's training, training and more training.

ps. The trim function in this sim is nothing like I'm used to. In my machine it centres the stick to take the constant load off. Usually you would select it in straight and level cruise and switch it off for manouvering, here it seems to be intertwined with the autopilot.

EDIT: Is there a tutorial on how to replace the skins? I watched the airshow replay and really like the skin that's used there. I would love to get it and from reading through the MODS section I get the impression that changing skins isn't easy.

Also is there a section on KA50 skins I haven't seen one?

Sorry I have so many questions already.

Edited by AussieFX

I'm not sure I understand this. I thought the whole point of trim was to fix any extraneous axis movement in order to keep the bird steady while the cyclic is centered. Why is it useful to hold it every time you go to provide input?

Hi Faolin,

It is slightly more coimplicated in the blackshark becuase trim plays 3 roles

1) it recenters hydrolic pressure (?) on the control plates that are used to recenter the cyclic , which is normal trim operation, but...

2) it also, while held down, stops the autopilot chanels enforcing their current control set.

3) when released, it changes the autopilot chanels current contrl set to the new pitch/heading

So,

The idea behind pressing and holding the trimmmer , is so that during a manuever, lets say a bank to the left, the pilot is not fighting the AP heading hold chanel that is trying to keep the bird steady on its last programed heading.

If you press and hold the trimmer, the bird will bank and turn left as you would expect with your cyclic inputs.

If you do not press an hold, then the bird will fight you the whole way...though you will eventually win (the AP only has 20% authority), it still seem a bit ungracious to me.

I belive this is beeing re-assesed in the patch, as there was some incorrect data on how the Heading hold AP channel works IRL.

Hi guys, I have just purchased this game after I found it on the net.

I have never played lockon or games from this company before so I'm not really familiar with how things work with their software.

I jockey around all day in an AS355 so flight isn't unfamiliar to me, I bought this game for the shootem up aspect. :) Getting my head around munitions/targeting systems will be my downfall.:book::lol:

First question is, I have a Microsoft sidewinder usb FF2 joystick and I've had no trouble assigning functions to it, but I also have a Logitech G25 racing wheel and I thought it would be nice to assign the rudder pedals to the G25 pedals but when I select the G25 in the setup screen and try to assign the rudder to them I get no response when I push the pedal. I know I can use the twist function on the joystick but that is really unfamiliar to me and would prefer to use the pedals. Can anyone help me set this up please?

I hope I can get my head around the shooting aspect and join many of you out there. ATM it's training, training and more training.

ps. The trim function in this sim is nothing like I'm used to. In my machine it centres the stick to take the constant load off. Usually you would select it in straight and level cruise and switch it off for manouvering, here it seems to be intertwined with the autopilot.

EDIT: Is there a tutorial on how to replace the skins? I watched the airshow replay and really like the skin that's used there. I would love to get it and from reading through the MODS section I get the impression that changing skins isn't easy.

Also is there a section on KA50 skins I haven't seen one?

Sorry I have so many questions already.

Hi Aussie,

If the Pedals show up as a single directInput axis, then you should definately be able to asign them to the rudder axis. If they are 2 seperate Axis, then that might be more difficult.

To try it out, goto options, click on controls, then in the "KA50 Real" section, select teh green highlighted "Axis Commands" drop down menu, then look for "Rudder" , double click under the G25 controller (assuming it shows), and then move teh appropriate Axis, and it should map for you.

As for skins, these are set in the mission editor by the mission creator.

If you wish to change skins, then you must open up the mission in the editor, and modify the KA50 (it is donw in the weapons loadout screen), then save the mission.

It is not difficult, and I'm sure with 5 minutes messing about you should get it figured.

Alternatively, there is a free 3rd part app called DCSMax that allows you to dynamically set your skin I believe (havent used it, but lots of people do, and they all love it...search this formum for DCSMax for more info)

Hi Nemesis, thank you for your post.

I have tried your suggestion, which is how I was doing it anyway but I played with it a bit more this time. What I have found is that I can select any button on the G25 to operate the rudder but no axis selections work, even if I try the wheel or the pedals no axis gets assigned. It seems to me I am missing something. Is there a setting I need that changes between buttons/axis for the controllers?

Thanks.

EDIT: As far as I can tell the add assignment screen only has provisions for buttons/keys and nothing for axis.

Edited by AussieFX

^^ yep, you need to make sure you are looking at the "Axis Commands" section of the asignment screen.

In the drop down menu that filters differnt control sets, look for the one highlighted in Green , called "axis commands" ...you can only assign axis in there.

• Like 1

Yeah I got that thanks. I did get it to work but once I activate movement left or right the rudder then stays in that position. I need to find out how I can setup a free flight scenario where nobody is shooting at me so I can set my controls properly. I'm currently reading the manual to try and work out the mission editor. :book:

Flying the machine is a doddle for me, it's the rest I need to catch up on. :)

+rep for your help.

Edited by AussieFX

Any of the training missions will give you a free flight with no enemies - just hit escape and select Control. The mission editor is also pretty intuitive if you're familiar with that kind of thing, and it's pretty easy to slap down a single Ka-50 and make it player-controlled. You can also then experiment with different weather settings.

Regarding the rudder, if you use the "axis tune" button on the controls page does it move how you'd be expecting it to?

Yeah I got that thanks. I did get it to work but once I activate movement left or right the rudder then stays in that position. I need to find out how I can setup a free flight scenario where nobody is shooting at me so I can set my controls properly. I'm currently reading the manual to try and work out the mission editor. :book:

Flying the machine is a doddle for me, it's the rest I need to catch up on. :)

+rep for your help.

There's a single mission called "Shooting Range". It's exactly what you're looking for.

BLACKSHARK Newbie needs help!

I installed BLACKSHARK for the second time and I changed the options the easy flight mode. However I ran into problem that I’m not sure if the problem is with my setup or a bug in the problem. When I try to call up the communication menu “\” the program thinks when I press the “\” Key the game sees the “]” key.

I’m running an AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core 2.30 GHz., 4 GB of Ram, Vista 32 Bit, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS, GeForce 8800 GT, and a Saitek Cyborg Keyboard.

:helpsmilie:Could someone please tell me what is going on?:helpsmilie:

I installed BLACKSHARK for the second time and I changed the options the easy flight mode. However I ran into problem that I’m not sure if the problem is with my setup or a bug in the problem. When I try to call up the communication menu “\” the program thinks when I press the “\” Key the game sees the “]” key.

I’m running an AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core 2.30 GHz., 4 GB of Ram, Vista 32 Bit, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS, GeForce 8800 GT, and a Saitek Cyborg Keyboard.

:helpsmilie:Could someone please tell me what is going on?:helpsmilie:

Go to options and remap the key for communications - then to controls then to Radio Communictions in drop down menu - click on the line which is Communication menu under the word Keyboard (u must click under keyboard to access ADD CLEAR DEFAULT ), go to ADD at bottom (which should have yellow lines around them) - then press the slash key (or whatever key you want). When I did mine it came up with OEM102.

Edited by bursco

frustrated

i have watched videos, read manuals, forums but still don't know how to attack ground targets. Anyone knows a good tutorial for beginners?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Let freedom ring with a shotgun blast

ATI 4870 1GB Cat. 10.8 | Windows 7 64 | TrackIR 5 | Saitek x52 | 4GB DDR2 | E8400 O.C 3.8 Ghz | The Logitech® G9 Laser Mouse

http://www.war-hawks.net

is recruiting.

http://www.war-hawks.net/private/index.php/recruitform

The mission editor is also pretty intuitive if you're familiar with that kind of thing, and it's pretty easy to slap down a single Ka-50 and make it player-controlled. You can also then experiment with different weather settings.

Regarding the rudder, if you use the "axis tune" button on the controls page does it move how you'd be expecting it to?

Are there any tutorials on the mission editor? I can get a KA-50 but I can't make it flyable. I have read the instuctions for it but that's more for setting a campaign than making a chopper on the pad scenario.

Yes the rudder isn't stable in the axis tune tab. For some reason I can't calibrate the G25. I think that's a logitech/windows problem.

EDIT: Fixed, I have found the fly mission button. :)

I find that occasionally the documentation gets too in depth at times. I'm aware there is a reason for that but I think sometimes they could add a stripped down section to explain some of the simpler things.

Edited by AussieFX

Okey dokey.

I have passed my basic training...well sort of. :)

A big thankyou goes out to the people here who have helped me. It's refreshing to find this on a site instead of the usual "read the manual" crap that you have to put up with at a lot of places. Yes I have studied the manual every night for the past few weeks.

I now know how to shoot things, flying for me is the easy part as I'm a pilot but the gunnery range was a learning experience. Now I have to learn the datalink gear but I have a yearning to go and kill things so that can wait. :)

Anyway I just thought I would thank those who have helped get into the game by helping with the basics. Hopefully soon I can get into multiplayer and we can go and kill things together. :D

Now I only need to find out how to change skins, update graphics etc...

The learning never ends.;)

i have watched videos, read manuals, forums but still don't know how to attack ground targets. Anyone knows a good tutorial for beginners?

Honestly I just kept on repeating the shooting mission in the training tab.

The only bit of advice I could give is to map the joystick to how you like it.

Oh and just turn on auto hover and take your time, these guys don't shoot back.

Honestly I just kept on repeating the shooting mission in the training tab.

The only bit of advice I could give is to map the joystick to how you like it.

Oh and just turn on auto hover and take your time, these guys don't shoot back.

Thanks, I love this game and invested a lot of time trying to learn it, but unless you’re a pilot this game could turn into a nightmare. Why not make a step by step training mission!, did ED assume that all gamers are pilots! I tried the combat training mission, it is good but you’re on you own once the training is done. I spend hours trying to find targets, can’t locate those darn targets. I have been using the helmet [h] and Shkval but can’t find targets and all of a sudden I’m shot down!. I was able to shoot my inner missiles but not the outer missiles?. I tried to lock on a building and TA was displayed but Shkval wouldn’t show the “C”. Please help.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ATI 4870 1GB Cat. 10.8 | Windows 7 64 | TrackIR 5 | Saitek x52 | 4GB DDR2 | E8400 O.C 3.8 Ghz | The Logitech® G9 Laser Mouse

is recruiting.

Thanks, I love this game and invested a lot of time trying to learn it, but unless you’re a pilot this game could turn into a nightmare. Why not make a step by step training mission!, did ED assume that all gamers are pilots! I tried the combat training mission, it is good but you’re on you own once the training is done. I spend hours trying to find targets, can’t locate those darn targets. I have been using the helmet [h] and Shkval but can’t find targets and all of a sudden I’m shot down!. I was able to shoot my inner missiles but not the outer missiles?. I tried to lock on a building and TA was displayed but Shkval wouldn’t show the “C”. Please help.

Try turning on labels while you are training, it will help locate the targets. Once you get the hang of the systems turn them off.

The inner hard points are selected using "I" and the outer hard point is "Y"

Perhaps you were not in range for the weapon you had selected or your tgt frame was not large enough.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

Try turning on labels while you are training, it will help locate the targets. Once you get the hang of the systems turn them off.

The inner hard points are selected using "I" and the outer hard point is "Y"

Perhaps you were not in range for the weapon you had selected or your tgt frame was not large enough.

thanks but how to turn the lables on?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

is recruiting.

thanks but how to turn the lables on?

It's in the options, the screen where you can choose invulnerability and realistic or game mode.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

It's in the options, the screen where you can choose invulnerability and realistic or game mode.

ok, thanks. I'll give that a try tonight.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

is recruiting.

Can someone tell me what to do in order to have my radar automatically acquire targets once in range? As of now I only know how to input target data that's received from my wingman.. Thanks

What radar?!

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!