Removing smoke

juan_mol

• 4 weeks later...
Hi, I want to remove the black smoke that displays when cannon shells hit the ground. Maybe there are some files somewhere I can delete to disable it.

Thanks

up

me to, make my game freeze (1.02)

I have big problems with the smoke too, though playing at good framerate it's imposible for me to hit a target in the ground with the cannon because the smoke generated (from the ground and from the vehicle, if hit) drop my framerate to nearly 0.

Same slowdownd with the smoke of the destroyed structures, i can't go nearby them when destroyed because of the slowdown.

Some way to reduce the smoke quality or remove it at all if necessary? (only this smoke offect on the ground, no so bad problem with explosions on the air)

Thanks

Also, there was someone who did a PS1.1 optimization of some files.

It seemed to help.

I tried "Explosion_FPS_improvement for 1.02 and it made it much worse!!!!!!!

This is such a big "showstopper" that it´s amazing it´s not been dealt with.

Scandal!!!.

try putting effects to low. see if that makes a difference

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

Turning down the effects does help. But other effects that do not impact FPS much are also turned down. I think the answer is to disable (or greatly reduce) the smoke that dsiplays when rounds hit the ground.

It is a solution when that effect in particular is causing slowdown. Load 4 gunpods and fire them for 1s (and try watching it through the Shvkal TV too). You will get bad FPS believe me.

So let's try to isolate the problem:

Ingress=smoth

Shooting=smoth

Shells impact=0 FPS

Egress=smoth

So it must be something when shells impact the ground that creates the slowdown. It can be the smoke, the explosion effect, the sound, etc.

I personally think it's the smoke, but the sound thing does make sense too.

It is not a solution, because other effects work fine.

What I believe, is that the most of the effects are highly modelled. With a missle, you have 1 impact. No problem.

You fire how many rounds from 1 cannon, and you have how many impacts?

Maybe only the 1st, every 5, and last impact need to be rendered?

I think it may be a combination of the GFX effect, as well as the sound that goes with it.

I am going to experiment on my days off with the sound.

Exactly. Other effects are no problem. Only cannon rounds (because you will have numerous explosions in a short period of time) causes slowdown. That's why I suggested to remove the cannon fire smoke (or reduce it) other smoke (missile smoke, smoke plumes from destroyed vehicles, etc) is ok.