How are you controlling things in VR?

Vedexent

Like anything it takes time to adapt but it's pretty awesome and way more accurate having your hands in the pit

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Does it still show the gloves in the cockpit? Or can that be turned off with the new options?

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Gloves are their I personally like them but wish could change the skin to aviator gloves

Ah, darn...that is a deal breaker for me. Not even going to bother trying it out then. I can't stand those stupid gloves being visible in the cockpit, especially when they're not even attached to anything (a virtual pilot's arm/body).

Maybe someday there will be an update on this and I will get around to giving it a look. Appreciate all of the responses to my questions :thumbup:

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Basics first: aviate, navigate, communicate. If you always have your aircraft trimmed up properly you can let go of the controls to do what is necessary and then grab them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC]If you are still under control you are not going fast enough[/sIGPIC]

Gloves are their I personally like them but wish could change the skin to aviator gloves

With all the buttons on the oculus touch controllers it's a wonder they didn't implement right click. What about rotary knobs? Does scroll somehow work?

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

With all the buttons on the oculus touch controllers it's a wonder they didn't implement right click. What about rotary knobs? Does scroll somehow work?
Scroll works via mini stick.

Only right click is missing.

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

It's natural movement. I keep the controllers in my lap. They are wonderful for startup and also combat. Specifically Av8 harrier, viggen and ka50. It's silly to have cockpit switches mapped to a hotas that are not in the real pit. Now with two virtual hands yo u can do exactly the muscle memory the real pilot does.

I think more people bash it before even trying it. You want immersion in vr well it's here all we need is right click and.it will be complete in my eyes.

Use the true 3d space your in just like in real life right.... MOUSE keyboard or a bunch of functions mapped to a hotas that aren't in real life is silly to me.

It depends how much realism a person needs I guess.

VA and mapping clickable functions to a HOTAS might break immersion for some, and I can understand that as you're not going through the correct motions that the real pilots go through.

But then I had to learn it all before getting my VA set up anyway as there is no way around learning the modules and learning what each of the buttons do.

So I don't really feel VA or mapping buttons to the HOTAS detracts from going through the correct motions or understanding an AC. I justify it to myself by saying that it's my AC and I just so happen to have VA installed or a different system to what a real Gazelle pilot would have!

I can understand people wanting accuracy but after having flown the 'right' way for many hours eventually I just want as much convenience as possible to be able to respond as quickly as possible.

Because all though pressing the right buttons, in the right places, is indeed realistic and immersive, being able to fight and respond in a realistically rapid manner is also in many ways more important than what buttons the systems are mapped to.

Voice attack might not really be realistic but it still feels bad ass and somehow immersive in it's own way. I just rationalize it by saying to myself that I am giving my co-pilot orders which feels pretty realistic to me! I think that's what would happen in combat right, one person on stick the other on buttons? At the end of the day though its personal preference, and often the best or only way to make things more immersive and realistic is the imagination.

The point (I think) I am trying to make is that at present using a mouse or controller(s) may add immersion in one way but detracts in another by hindering response times in combat. For many people important buttons are mapped to their HOTAS at the expense of realism simply because it will improve their combat efficiency and reduce fumbling around! I really do feel much more immersed when my hands remain on the controls at all times.

We all want a good hand tracking solution, and I haven't tried the rift controllers (VIVE user) but do you find they are a good solution at present when you also have a HOTAS to manage?

Do you not have to put them on, and take them off again and do they not get in the way, and annoy you, and can they really be used in flight properly when fighting? I know they are much better than the Vive wands but still I'm a bit skeptical to be honest especially as I mainly fly helicopters!

Personally at this stage unless I am missing something it doesn't really seem to be a superior solution to even a single mouse, of which there is only one, and my guess is eventually when the novelty wears off, you too perhaps wont use the touch controllers until the tech has improved. Tell me why I'm wrong though!

Edited by Wolf8312

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

It's natural movement. I keep the controllers in my lap. They are wonderful for startup and also combat. Specifically Av8 harrier, viggen and ka50. It's silly to have cockpit switches mapped to a hotas that are not in the real pit. Now with two virtual hands yo u can do exactly the muscle memory the real pilot does.

I think more people bash it before even trying it. You want immersion in vr well it's here all we need is right click and.it will be complete in my eyes.

Use the true 3d space your in just like in real life right.... MOUSE keyboard or a bunch of functions mapped to a hotas that aren't in real life is silly to me.

It depends how much realism a person needs I guess.

VA and mapping clickable functions to a HOTAS might break immersion for some, and I can understand that as you're not going through the correct motions that the real pilots go through so you're not really learning the module maybe.

But then I had to learn it all before getting my VA set up anyway as there is no way around learning the modules and learning what each of the buttons do.

So I don't really feel VA or mapping buttons to the HOTAS detracts from going through the correct motions or understanding an AC. I justify it to myself by saying that it's my AC and I just so happen to have VA installed or a different system to what a real Gazelle pilot would have!

I can understand people wanting historical accuracy but after having flown the 'right' way for many hours eventually I want as much convenience as possible to be able to respond as quickly as possible.

Because all though pressing the right buttons, in the right places, is indeed realistic and immersive, being able to fight and respond in a realistically rapid manner is also in many ways more important than what buttons the systems are mapped to.

Voice attack might not really be realistic but it still feels bad ass and somehow immersive in it's own way. I just rationalize it by it being me giving a co-pilot orders which feels pretty realistic to me! At the end of the day though its personal preference, and often the best or only way to make things more immersive and realistic is the imagination.

The point (I think) I am trying to make is that at present using a mouse or controller(s) may add immersion in one way but detracts in another by hindering response times in combat. For many people important buttons are mapped to their HOTAS at the expense of realism simply because it will improve their combat efficiency and reduce fumbling around! I really do feel much more immersed when my hands remain on the controls at all times.

We all want a good hand tracking solution, and I haven't tried the rift controllers (VIVE user) but do you find they are a good solution at present when you also have a HOTAS to manage?

Do you not have to put them on, and take them off again and do they not get in the way, and annoy you, and can they really be used in flight properly when fighting? I know they are much better than the Vive wands but still I'm a bit skeptical to be honest especially as I mainly fly helicopters!

Personally at this stage unless I am missing something it doesn't really seem to be a superior solution to even a single mouse, of which there is only one, and my guess is eventually when the novelty wears off, you too perhaps wont use the touch controllers until the tech has improved. Tell me why I'm wrong though!

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

In my opinion and experience, the oculus touch in the pit is the best thing i have ever experienced in a flight sim. Ya we need right click im sure its coming. No more memorizing stupid 3 button key bindings or having so many mapped to your hotas it just gets task saturated. Keep in mind for example the A10c has all the important stuff on the hotas. Aslong as you map close to true to life on the hotas for other aircraft you will have no issues in combat.

Using MFD and all that im much quicker using my actual hands in the vr pit. like i said some people will complain about it but for me at first it was odd then i got trained and love it.

No more hours of mapping crap to the hotas you get to use these amazing 3d cockpits the developers have made and gives you more appreciation for that hard work on their part. I dont fly FC3...

• Like 1

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

In my opinion and experience, the oculus touch in the pit is the best thing i have ever experienced in a flight sim. Ya we need right click im sure its coming. No more memorizing stupid 3 button key bindings or having so many mapped to your hotas it just gets task saturated. Keep in mind for example the A10c has all the important stuff on the hotas. Aslong as you map close to true to life on the hotas for other aircraft you will have no issues in combat.

Using MFD and all that im much quicker using my actual hands in the vr pit. like i said some people will complain about it but for me at first it was odd then i got trained and love it.

No more hours of mapping crap to the hotas you get to use these amazing 3d cockpits the developers have made and gives you more appreciation for that hard work on their part. I dont fly FC3...

Yeah to be honest wasn't talking about the A10C. Would have to agree the A10C is the kinda module that badly needs hand controllers perfect or not!

------------

Tried using the Touch controllers....personally, I found it to be really awkward. Not for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

I always fly in VR and never used the controllers. It's just too much to add to with my hotas. I map everything on the throttle and stick that I need. I then have my mouse right in the middle and click on stuff I don't have mapped. Works perfectly in the A10c, mirage, f15, f5, etc.

I also use voice attack with vaicom pro script for general commands and if the misison I'm flying has support for the Viacom script, it works fine like that.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I always fly in VR and never used the controllers. It's just too much to add to with my hotas. I map everything on the throttle and stick that I need. I then have my mouse right in the middle and click on stuff I don't have mapped. Works perfectly in the A10c, mirage, f15, f5, etc.

I also use voice attack with vaicom pro script for general commands and if the misison I'm flying has support for the Viacom script, it works fine like that.

I agree with this except I recently bought a trackball mouse so I dont have to search blind for the mouse after I move it each time. It stays in one spot.

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

I agree with this except I recently bought a trackball mouse so I dont have to search blind for the mouse after I move it each time. It stays in one spot.
Never was into trackball mice but that is a very good idea. I use a Logitech mx master wireless mouse which I have sitting in the middle of my hotas with the keyboard pushed by the monitor up to make room for the mouse. It's a good thing my desk is big enough that I don't even need to move stuff around to sit comfortably and work if I need to.

The only time things get moved or off the desk is when my dates come over. Don't want them losing their shit when they see a throttle, pedals, and joystick. At least for the first time, after that if they have something to say they can bug off.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I. Of the mindset that anything that isn’t under a finger or easy enough to find and use blindfolded should be digital(we need a better method for digital cockpit interaction) but we will have it eventually. Having to move your hand to the base or remember that this button DOES THIS BUT WHEN THIS BUTTON IS PRESSED IT DOES THAT. I want a stick with a double contact trigger, POV hat,two other hats and one or two buttons on to one about where my index finger would rest, one button in my middle finger location, one in my ring finger location and one for the pinky and thumb on the other side. On the throttle a spilt throttle one for the hrs and one for the Las that could be linked together.A COUPLE OF THUNB HATS AND BUTTONS THEN FOUR BUTTONS ON THE TWO THOTTLE GRIP 2 EACH HALVE. Other than that for Vr is useless imo

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

I'm much faster with oculus touch then I ever was with key bindings and a MOUSE. Different strokes for folks I suppose

Should point out I use a combination of head tracking and VA, and the mouse only in dire emergencies! Even have mouse buttons set to a VA command.

------------

Basics first: aviate, navigate, communicate. If you always have your aircraft trimmed up properly you can let go of the controls to do what is necessary and then grab them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's definitely an element of this, for sure - but cockpit design puts certain controls on the left side so that they can be used in tandem with the flight stick. That's why things like landing gear controls and weapon selection tends to be on the left, and things like cabin climate control is on the right ( with apologies to all the left-handed pilots out there).

In short planes are designed to be flown with both hands, and - at least for me - a left handed mouse, even to control the left side of the cockpit, is a real pain.

I’ve been flying X-Plane 11 for several years, mostly to augment PPL training IRL, and mostly GA aircraft, like the Cessna 172, on a physical cockpit with three flat screens.

I recently acquired a Samsung Odyssey HMD to play with, and will be using it for X-Plane. GA controls are fairly straightforward, and at 120kts, you have some time to work with.

Recently, I’ve picked up the bug to investigate DCS World, and have begun learning the 2.5 Beta, both in VR and flat screen mode. It’s very clear to me there are WAY more controls than in a GA aircraft, and the dizzying array of keyboard commands are cryptic and impossible to remember in a visual cockpit, but wearing an HMD, as my Kentucky in laws would say “Dog won’t hunt”.

Sure I can map many of the most important ones to my joystick and throttle, but that leaves me with dozens of flight control, weapons and communications commands unmapped.

Voice Attack and its corollary program, VAICOM, look VERY interesting and exceedingly useful, and I will be investigating them further. Has anyone come up with a standard list of Voice Attack/VAICOM commands for the most common aircraft in DCS?

i9-9900K @5.1Ghz w/ 32GB RAM, RTX2080 Super w/ 8G, Samsung Odyssey VR HMD, 1 TB SSD, VKB Gladiator MKII, TM TWCS throttle, Saitek Pro Yoke, Saitek Throttle Quadrant x2, CH Pro Pedals, Obutto Ozone

That’s what the Viacom profile is plus I have three other add one for three of the four helos that I bought from a user here

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

I have the warthog controller and mapped the pinky paddle switch as the left control key with autohotkey. Then mapped the functions I use the most to the HOTAS switches, and axis. I have a trackball mounted on my right side and a Cybersnipa game pad on my left. The game pad buttons serve dual function just like the HOTAS switches. I use the mouse for everything else except for the communication menu which I use voice attack for.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Oculus Touch and certain clickable cockpit actions

So I'm totally new to DCS, but I saw a video of someone using the oculus touch controllers to interact with the cockpit and knew I had to try it. I love it!

However, some switches or levers do not seem to want to move (either with the trigger or thumbstick) and I cannot seem to figure it out. For example the flaps in the T-51D, I can't get 'em to budge. I tried it in non-VR and the mouse moves it just fine. What gives? What am I doing wrong?

So I'm totally new to DCS, but I saw a video of someone using the oculus touch controllers to interact with the cockpit and knew I had to try it. I love it!

However, some switches or levers do not seem to want to move (either with the trigger or thumbstick) and I cannot seem to figure it out. For example the flaps in the T-51D, I can't get 'em to budge. I tried it in non-VR and the mouse moves it just fine. What gives? What am I doing wrong?

I haven't tried it myself yet, but as I understand it, right click isn't implemented.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

I have the warthog controller and mapped the pinky paddle switch as the left control key with autohotkey. Then mapped the functions I use the most to the HOTAS switches, and axis. I have a trackball mounted on my right side and a Cybersnipa game pad on my left. The game pad buttons serve dual function just like the HOTAS switches. I use the mouse for everything else except for the communication menu which I use voice attack for.
Why you use autohotkey when DCS allows you to bind one as switch from multipliers?

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.