Yet another warthog slew upgrade

Deltaalphalima1

Deltaalphalima1

And this mini-stick linked (from Rs) can use your I2C adapter/code, or require specific code?

Yes you could use my code almost unmodified, my adapter PCB will also work with a small modification.

All you need to do is remove the signal amplification part from the code as that thumbstick does not need any, unlike the force sensor. I can post the correct Arduino code if needed.

If anyone wants an adapter PCB with the correct code for an Xbox style thumbstick I'm happy to help :)

Specs: i7 7700K delid @ 4.8GHZ, MSI Gaming X GTX1080, ASUS Strix Z270G, 32GB Corsair LPX @ 3000MHz, Noctua NH-U12S, EVGA 750 P2, Fractal Define Mini C

Hardware: Thrustmaster Warthog, TrackIR 5, MFG Crosswinds(4757) , Custom Helicopter Collective

www.deltasimelectronics.com

Yes you could use my code almost unmodified, my adapter PCB will also work with a small modification.

All you need to do is remove the signal amplification part from the code as that thumbstick does not need any, unlike the force sensor. I can post the correct Arduino code if needed.

If anyone wants an adapter PCB with the correct code for an Xbox style thumbstick I'm happy to help :)

Yes please. If I can get it to work with a thumb stick I'd be happy to try modeling a drop in mount.

Would your PCB and code have support for the center click?

Yes please. If I can get it to work with a thumb stick I'd be happy to try modeling a drop in mount.

Would your PCB and code have support for the center click?

Delta has already mentioned that the PCB he is designing will feature a breakout connection for the button pin that is included on the five wire connector, so that we can add our own buttons to it to serve as a center click akin to what is currently present on the TM:W

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Groundpounder extraordinaire

SPECS: i7-4790K, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 16 GB RAM, MSI GTX 980ti, Thrustmaster WARTHOG HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder pedals, TrackIR 5

• 2 weeks later...

Excelent progress this week!!!

attachment.php?attachmentid=181764&stc=1&d=1522357234

attachment.php?attachmentid=181765&stc=1&d=1522357234

As you can see all my PCBs have arived! and they are perfect (thanks OSH Park as always) :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=181766&stc=1&d=1522357234

attachment.php?attachmentid=181767&stc=1&d=1522357286

The first one is finished up and working perfectly, and looking excellent even if I do say so myself. :thumbup:

If you have already said you want one I have sent you a PM to tell you how to get one, otherwise I will put up an eBay listing next week where you can buy one.

(If you think you have been missed let me know)

I will probably post a few more pictures of how it fits and will be packaged etc over the weekend for anyone interested.

As always any questions feel free to ask!

IMG_20180329_195809.thumb.jpg.10ac7c05c498e1e78d3ac4951c1afb3c.jpg

IMG_20180329_195834.thumb.jpg.2fb1a7e0f9ffe1693b180d24420a1580.jpg

IMG_20180329_213556.thumb.jpg.0da5145aaee486e8879483517802a040.jpg

IMG_20180329_213852.thumb.jpg.060972093493bb1e0d5079a33593e006.jpg

Edited by Deltaalphalima1

Specs: i7 7700K delid @ 4.8GHZ, MSI Gaming X GTX1080, ASUS Strix Z270G, 32GB Corsair LPX @ 3000MHz, Noctua NH-U12S, EVGA 750 P2, Fractal Define Mini C

Hardware: Thrustmaster Warthog, TrackIR 5, MFG Crosswinds(4757) , Custom Helicopter Collective

It looks great. I follow your thread for a while now and am impressed about the progress. I guess there are a lot who wants it.

If it is really plug´n play with only a recalibration and the costs are reasonable count me in. I´m waiting for your PM or the eBay link ;)

Thanks for your effort.

Xoxen

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4080 OC, Windows 10 64bit Home Premium, TrackIR 5 with TrackClip: Pro!, Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base + TM Warthog Stick + 7cm extension + WINWING Orion 2 with F-15EX grips, Cougar MFDs with 8" displays, Saitek Rudder Pedals, Samsung Odyssey G9 49" 5120x1440 @120 Hz

Please PM me as well would love info on this. Thanks!

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

Link to your ebay listing?

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

Drop in plug and play replacement for the original Warthog slew sensor, only requires recalibration and can be returned to the original at any point.

Uses Mil-Spec MSI Ultra 462 miniature force sensitive joystick, similar to the one used on the real A-10C.

Uses high quality SLS 3D printed parts.

Note: this sensor does not have a push button switch like the original sensor. It only has 2 analogue axes, however it has capability to add another switch via a supplied cable if you want to mod one into your throttle somehow.

I can also supply adapter PCBs to use other 2 axis joysticks (such as Xbox controller thumbsticks) directly with the Warthog throttle, contact me if you’re interested.

Limited supply, only a small number of force joysticks available at this price.

If you can send me a PM to pay on PayPal (better for me as I don't have to pay eBay fees :)) Price is:

£150 for the sensor unit +

Free shipping to the UK

£5 to the rest of Europe

£10 to the USA

Any other countries please send me a message, but they should be around £10. All items will be sent International Tracked

Otherwise the eBay link is here,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263580956182

Edited by Deltaalphalima1

Wow congrats on completing such a nice kit :thumbup:

This is surely a must have mod for anyone with a Warthog throttle (and change to spare)

I mean the ergonomics of slewing is just night and day with a proper sensor like this compared to the stock TM.

It really makes the flying experience much more enjoyable as you can spend your time fighting the actual targets instead of fighting the crappy TM slew control :joystick:

• 2 weeks later...

OMG OMG OMG It has arrived!

IMG_5975-sml.thumb.jpg.584abfd02483a7aa9fecb20740ea4647.jpg

Deltaalphalima posted it almost immediately :thumbup:

The install instructions are good, and the unit is a nice snug press fit into the old slew's hole. You do have to be careful with making sure the re-assembly does not pinch a wire. The 3d printed bits feel pretty good.

The sensor worked out of the box. I had already calibrated my original slew with zero deadzone (as my original always centered well) so I did not even need to re-calibrate :) Although i have since re-calibrated with a couple of deadzone settings to test.

Comparing the old/new with the VKB Joytester was interesting.

The original slew looked to be 8-bit... 0-->128(centre)-->256 positions. The new sensor has not changed that. I am quite sure that is a Thrustmaster controller limitation, not the sensor.

The original sensor had an permanent deadzone, even at "minimum" calibration, and it was just so inconsistent around center. For the same finger force, you got a different resultant stick deflection. Which, after 5 years of Warthog ownership meant I was still not confident in using the slew, and it was particularly bad around centre, which meant fine control was terrible. You fought the slew, you didnt use it.

I had found that zero deadzone, and a curve of around 30 in DCS gave me the best(*) "feel" for the original part. But it was all just trying to compensate for a lack of inherent precision.

(*) Totally not the best.

With VKB Joytester, the new slew did not look worlds different from the original from the graph. There is still a (small) deadzone where it jumps from 0%-->4%. Its still ~8bit.

The results did not look that different, but they *felt* different - because there is a consistency underpinning the new part that was completely absent in the old. So firing up the A-10C and steering the TGP around, I found I could actually dial in proportional diagonal input, which I found just outright impossible with the original with any hint of precision.

The force based stick (rather than original displacement nub) took about, I dont know, about 1.072 seconds to get used to :joystick:

IMG_5985_sml.thumb.jpg.98b665eb8951838778f38e14019d35b4.jpg

Honestly the biggest problem I have had so far has been un-learning all the bad habits the old slew had taught me. Also the slightly different red color of the 3d printed hat of the slew, compared to the china hat, is going to probably annoy me :music_whistling:

I have also got a TWCS which I am going to use for pasts, and the slew on that is equally as terrible as the original Warthog, but for different reasons. It just does not re-centre properly, which requires a _large_ deadzone. If anything its slightly more 'accurate" that even the new Warthog slew, once you accept it sticks across its movement range and acts just like the $2 PS2 pot it actually is. But still, the new slew in the Warthog feels way better to use overall than the TWCS. I think if you could find a high quality pot to drop into a TWCS then it would be a rather awesome cheap throttle.

My memory is getting a bit rusty here, but the new Deltaalphalima slew is better than my old Cougar slew, which works better than both the original Warthog slew and the brand new TWCS.

Overall I have a very positive first impression. Deltaalphalima was just awesome to deal with, I was just a tiny bit nervous sending him $300AUD(!!) based on a dozen or so forum posts :smilewink:

Edited by Thermal

Sounds great. Sadly I'm still waiting on my package. According to tracking, it was released from Swiss Customs, but not moving ever since last Friday... Hmm.

Can't wait.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Just got the last one from eBay. Now I hope this throttle will finally replace my old Cougar one. :)

(And my wallet prays it will stop me from buying VKB throttle when it comes out...)

Edited by og_wolf

Last of the first 12 units posted off today. Thanks so much to everyone who has bought one, and the great feedback I’ve got already :thumbup:

I have already had some interest on a second batch, there is a possibility I could have them done around mid May if I can get a few more names together who want one, so please let me know.

I the mean time I’m working on a better mounting mechanism for an ALPS mini joystick (Xbox style thumbstick) which would mean I could slash the cost to something much more affordable (less than £40 shipped hopefully). It’s just proving quite a challenge to fit the mount for the joystick into the limited space in the throttle, and do it in a reliable and professional looking way... I've contacted a few people who seem to have managed it in the past to see if they can offer any help, but not had anything back yet unfortunately.

I'll keep this thread updated with any progress. Hopefully the next few months should be fun around here :D

:)

Received the shippment on Saturday (It sat for a whole weeks in custom for whatever reason).

Assembly was easy and very well described.

I wasnt aware of the Thrustmaster Warthog Calibration Tool and didnt found it on the Thrustmaster Page. Luckely someone on this forum uploaded it as an attachment some time ago: https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=46775&d=1295476242

Didnt test it ingame,yet, but the sensor is definitly working within the DXView.

Thanks

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Follow up, I installed a push button to replace the one built into the original slew.

7ni8Wry.jpg

Placed just behind the speed brake. Its low profile, my thumb naturally misses it when I use the brake. I originally thought I'd install a slightly raised plastic guard around it to protect against accidental presses, but it really doesnt need it.

Carefully drilled a 9mm hole and installed this switch which I had laying around: https://www.jaycar.com.au/spst-pcb-mount-tactile-metallic-vertical-with-led-red/p/SP0620

Its a cheap and cheerful switch which may or may not last, but its clicky and you definately know when you've pushed it.

There is enough room for up to a ~13mm hole, and there is a fair amount of room behind.

Its also in a very, very similar position to a Hornet cage/uncage button :megalol:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=206468

I got #8 today.

My replacement-kit arrived today - production number 8. It really is a nice piece of hardware! :thumbup:

Deltaalphalima1 sent me a PM including a very detailed install instruction and the calibration tool. The replacement took me something like 30 minutes, the calibration about 1 minute. Then I started DCS A-10C. Using the new slew control with the targeting pod is very precise and I can finally control the movement-speed of the crosshair. Before it was almost like everything or nothing. Now I can control the speed according to the applied pressure. This is how it should feel (my opinion)! Now it's fun to use the slew-control.

The kit has a very snug fit in the throttle. I didn't dare to apply too much vertical force to the red control-button of the sensor when pushing it into the throttle, so I unscrewed it and took it off before mounting. But that's easy to do and no problem. After carefully pressing the sensor into the throttle, I put the red button back on the sensor. Everything fits perfectly.

Of corse it's not exactly a bargain buy, but it seems to be a high quality sensor and the printed parts are perfectly engineered. Good job, Deltaalphalima1! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Edited by norbot

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

Just found the technical specifications of the Ultra-MSI 462 sensor: http://www.liveelectronics.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/462C.pdf

Edited by norbot

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Great to know everything is working out well.

I'm now pleased to announce there will be a second batch of 10 units, ready around mid May hopefully. Anyone who wants one please message me to reserve before they're all gone :)

For anyone interested, here is a link to the installation instuctions and slightly modified calibration tool:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gLWxcyknbfa_CanXM2xMI8IRM0406edU

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Great to know everything is working out well.

I'm now pleased to announce there will be a second batch of 10 units, ready around mid May hopefully. Anyone who wants one please message me to reserve before they're all gone :)

For anyone interested, here is a link to the installation instuctions and slightly modified calibration tool:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gLWxcyknbfa_CanXM2xMI8IRM0406edU

I'm interested.. I sent you a PM - I think.. I see nothing in my sent box but I think it doesn't auto save there.:thumbup:

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

So happy to hear that it is working out for you guys.

I the mean time I’m working on a better mounting mechanism for an ALPS mini joystick (Xbox style thumbstick) which would mean I could slash the cost to something much more affordable (less than £40 shipped hopefully).

Nice! Keep at it. A PS style thumbstick should be much better than the stock TM sensor even if it is "tier 2" compared to a force sensor. The lower price point would also put it in the range of a lot more of the warthog user community.

Follow up, I installed a push button to replace the one built into the original slew.

Nice one :) Be careful about modding the warthog. You start with just one little button, then its a professional grade slew sensor and then it just takes off and you end up swapping everything out for mil spec switching hardware, mag switches and it just goes on and on :lol:

Preferably the PS3 thumbstick with Hall sensor (ALPS brand with Sentron 2SA-10 2-axis hall sensor). Debolestis already made a mount for this thumbstick for a Suncom SFS so he could problably adjust this mount for it to fit properly in the Warthog (https://www.shapeways.com/product/62H9B2TMV/thumb-stick-mount-for-suncom-sfs?optionId=60407819 and knob: https://www.shapeways.com/product/8JLEGTYWZ/f16-cursor-knob-spider-web?optionId=59090191&li=shop-inventory). Also Oakes posted a guide to replace the slew with a PS Thumbstick ( 3-pin pot version ) here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=185698.