Shoulder tension / Pain

budguy68

OK. I just bought the IR tracker and X52 pro but I am getting a lot of tension on my deltoid mucles. They tense up. The head tracker thing just made it worst.

Does anyone know how to deal with this? I think i need to get some arm rest or something.

I had a similar pain, but it was not caused by the headtracker, the cause was that I had my stick too high, and that put my arm under stress:

6usRAWb.jpg

So, I changed my pit, adding a lower surface to put the stick onto, like this:

Dd4yHd2.jpg

This little change helped a lot and now I can play without pain ... Maybe your pain has a similar root cause?

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Monitor placement is important, too. I worked from home as a software support engineer for eight years prior to my current job, and during that time I periodically experienced severe neck and shoulder pain and fatigue. In addition to the pain and fatigue, I later developed numbness and tingling in my arms, hands and fingers. This prompted me to see a neurologist who took x-rays and found that my cervical vertebrae had become misaligned and were pressing on my spinal cord.

Believe it or not, the simple solution to all of this was raising my monitors up to a level that allowed me to keep my head erect instead of looking slightly downward. Afterwards, all my symptoms disappeared like magic.

System Specs:

Win 10 x64 Pro, ASUS Maximus X Formula, i9-9900K @ 4.7 GHz, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 MHz, NZXT Kraken X73 AIO Cooler, Titan X Pascal GPU, EVGA Supernova 1000W P2 PSU, C: 1TB Samsung 960 Pro m.2 PCIe SSD, D: 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SATA SSD, HT Omega Claro PCIe 7.1 Sound, Denon AVR-1709 7.1 Receiver, 46" Sharp Aquos Quattron Main Screen, 27" Acer T272HL TouchScreen + Helios, TrackIR 5, ThrustMaster HOTAS Warthog, Crosswinds pedals, SimShaker

Monitor placement is important, too...

... the simple solution to all of this was raising my monitors up to a level that allowed me to keep my head erect instead of looking slightly downward.

I fully agree, that's why I had to put a small wood base for my main monitor, to raise it a little in order to put it near eye level :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

That Viggen background looks oddly familiar :D

I've never experienced tension in my deltoids, though I have my chair armrests at almost the same level as my desk.

I do, however, get a lot of hand pain from wrangling the Huey. It's the only module that causes me physical pain.

get a lot of hand pain from wrangling the Huey. It's the only module that causes me physical pain.

this was the main reason i took the return spring out of my warthog.

no more hand pain flying the huey.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

Already mentioned, but the two causes of your problem are likely to monitor level, ideally you want to be looking straight ahead not down at your monitor, needs to be jacked right up...and holding your arm up (for your joystick), nearer you can have your arm rest in your lap the better. Poor head and arm positions can cause real problems down the line not just in the present (well documented through issues developed in the workplace), so really worth taking care of. I'm not sure head tracker has no negative effect, it wasn't until I moved to a rift that I realised how much effort/muscle tension I put into regulating head movement with my TrackIR. I'm sure there are ergonomic downsides to the rift but I think one advantage might be the amount of 'free' and wide ranging movement you engage in when using it, twisting round a full 180 degrees etc

Good info guys, thanks. I have been experiencing some tingling in my arms on and off and just assumed it was from playing guitar too much and too hard (I play a lot of country/rock/blues lead type stuff). I also know my poor posture while running the boats coupled with the type of conditions I operated said boats in has given me really poor alignment issues and since retiring I've tried 2 different mattresses, over a dozen pillows of all types, and even thought my little beer belly might have been pulling my stuff out of whack and took care of that too! I'm happy I stumbled across this thread, I will try some control and monitor changes.

Thanks everyone!!

• ED Team

On a related matter, for those that get forearm and elbow pain, you may wish to try a vertical mouse. Last year I was getting rather intense right arm forearm pain, to the point that even shaking hands was painful.

I changed to an Evoluent vertical mouse, and a few weeks later, the pain vanished. It takes a little while to get used to, but well worth it if you suffer from such pain.

• Like 1

Reading on the internet about a painful feeling in my upper right arm was alarming as it was pointed toward a possibility of an upcoming heart attack. Until I read this tread pffff........

Now my joystick sits lower and it all cleared up. :thumbup:

HP I7 Win 7 64x | Thrustmaster HOTAS | VoiceAtack | Vaicom Pro | Smile on my face!

Nothing is for sure and even that is not!

... for those that get forearm and elbow pain, you may wish to try a vertical mouse...

I changed to an Evoluent vertical mouse, and a few weeks later, the pain vanished.

Didnt knew about them, took a look at the video on their website (https://evoluent.com/) and I admit that it looks good, but the price seems too steep for an impulse buy

... but I will keep it in mind to purchase one during the year, as probably a wrist injury would mean a much larger money expense :)

Best regards

Vertical mice have been around for a very long time. I have one, and attempted to use it for a while, but having three rigs at home, and one at work (at the time), it seemed to be an expensive experiment.

I suspect that if you give yourself the time to get used to it, and I mean lots of time, the benefits do exist.

I also think that arm position, desk/chair height play an important part.

Everyone will have different experiences so experiment and see what benefits you the most.

EDIT: In the same vein, the MS Natural keyboard (the original) is still the most comfortable keyboard that I have ever used. I don't currently use one, though I have two on the parts shelves, but it beats a straight keyboard for long term comfort. Not for gaming but pure typing comfort.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

great thread, looking to make some ergo adjustments.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Also make sure that your throttle is at a comfortable level to your left elbow and shoulders. An off set too low on the left controller will tilt your body to the left leaving the right too high, this will also cause tense muscles on the right arm.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I have long not paid attention to may alarming symptoms 10-15 years back, kept on doing it the way I did it and now pay the price. My both hands are kinda numb, my keys fall out of my hands every 2nd time I grab them, if I rest my forearm on any desk or plate with the right spot of the elbow down it instantly falls asleep, left and right hand. I use both hands for the mouse, equally skilled. That allows me to shift from left to right, or use 2 mice on 2 puters.

Either way, when you start to get the symptoms, CHANGE how you sit and work with the PC, how you hold your arm and if you rest it on a (cold) desk or not, etc.. it all matters if you do it every day, year in year out.

I can't properly sleep because of that, whenever I wake up one or both hands are numb, the 2 smallest fingers, 4 + 5, are affected mostly, Ulinaris nerv.

Over time and with the years going by it moved from the typical elbow spot that makes it numb over the shoulder onto my back right under the lower shoulder plate, that's where this damn nerv originates, that later down splitts from a multiplex nerv into Ulinaris and others as I got told. Sometimes my whole arm is kinda "strange" until I move it around and make it awake.

This is one of the few thigs that didnt go away by itself but got worse, watch out and safe yourself.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X