Funnel - question for BS beta testers

Will we be able to fly the Funnel maneuver with BS? If yes, how difficult it is to do it?

• Like 1

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Amazing! Can't wait to try it!

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Flying in circle with the nose down attitude pointing in one spot.

Since you brought it up I'll share with you that I've just been practicing this maneuver ('voronka' in russian) these days. It's indeed tricky- you must find the balance between turn rate and circle (target) center. Because when I try to increase my side speed (turn rate) and my nose no longer aims in a point, instead it 'draws' a circle on the ground whose radius is growing with the turn rate. To be honest, I still fail to see it's combat application. But yes, the FM is truly amazing- it gives the opportunity to try this and other stuff that is possible IRL, and you definitely feel that what you see is not a script.

• Like 1

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

Not only unrealistic but it would be pretty dangerous, not to metnion how hard is to make a pinpoint aim that way.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

To be honest, I still fail to see it's combat application.
Same can be said for Ferrari F430 Spider! I don’t see practical application of Spider’s top speed of over 310 km/h. However, if I would have money, I would buy that car.

Black Shark is unique machine that only few in the world can afford. And it can do exotic maneuvers that might not have much of practical application. However, those maneuvers show who has the best aerodynamics in business.

No, they don't ... it's just a side effect of using the double rotor; other manufacturers have chosen to -not- use that configuration. It says nothing about 'better aerodynamics'. It is, however, a neat maneuver.

However, those maneuvers show who has the best aerodynamics in business.
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Not only unrealistic but it would be pretty dangerous, not to metnion how hard is to make a pinpoint aim that way.

Not only that - I'm not sure which weapons you'd end up using it with.

The rocket capacity is such that given an area target to suppress I'd just do one run and blanket it. I'd hate to do it with Vikhrs, the cannon is best used from distance . . .

Gunpods, perhaps?

• Like 1

Is the funnel not just an extreme demonstration of something that might be useful ?

As the main gun is stabalised/slaved to the helmet sight, couldn't you do part of quite a BIG funnel at a distance to - as Groove said - target infantry while moving, but maintaining a constant relative distance that is more in keeping with what BGB suggests.

Cheers.

Well, the funnel is simply not terribly practical in combat for a number of reasons - but it is doable. You could also do 'part of a funnel' but don't overestimate the Gun's ability to the pointed ... the AH-64 actually has the slaving part done right, the Ka-50 merely sights with the helmet, then moves the gun there. There's a difference, and you'll understand when you see it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• 2 years later...

In the first year of having BlackShark I pretty much only did aerobatic flying. Now I *finally* got myself in to combat and found it pretty darn useful to know the exact limits of the shark. The funnel in the exact execution (like you see at airshows) is not something you will see (or use ;)) in combat a lot but, having the skill to do that will help you a lot in many situations.

my 2 cents :smartass:

Forum | Videos | DCS:BS Demo1 / Demo2 | YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Saved for this special occasion :D

threadnecrojv6.png

:megalol:

EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming | i5 7600K 3.8 GHz | ASRock Z270 Pro4 | Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 16 GB | PNY CS2030 NVMe SSD 480 GB | WD Blue 7200 RPM 1TB HDD | Corsair Carbide 200R ATX Mid-Tower | Win 10 x64

I can't do properly the funnel maneuver. It is terrible difficult, or maybe I have bad joy or I don't hahve good skills yet :D

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Practice flying sideways.

Once you can do that, throw in a bit of rudder to keep the nose lined up with a point on the ground.

Once you have that sussed you just have to adjust the radius of the circle to counter balance dropping the nose to actually nail something on the ground.