Missile Evasion in F-15?

pauldy

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This to me seems like wasting a lot of time trying to be proficient in one area at a time too soon and then expecting it all to fall into place, like expecting the full on scenario to be predictable.

I think what matters most and what takes the most practice, is getting everything you do, done as one ie. the whole package, so when the unexpected happens as is always the case, your ready for it.

Then once you've experienced this enviroment and have died a fair few times trying, you can concentrate to hone individual areas.

I think this is more likely what you talk of and is what most do I should imagine.

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

....Trying to outmaneuver missiles should be only when theres no other option or at extreme ranges. ....

Frostie, what alternatives do you suggest?

I thought that there are only two choices - either outrun it by doing a split S at maximum range, or turning off the missiles bearing...Or failing that outmanouvering the missile once it closes.

Are there any other options?

Just that you shouldn't put yourself in that predicament especially if you have help.

The unexpected can obviously happen, this is where you need these desperate measures because out maneuvering missiles close in, can be a lottery.

Dodging missiles in Lockon can be fairly easy but in reality im sure its a totally different story.

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

Just that you shouldn't put yourself in that predicament especially if you have help....

Tag 'em, Drag 'em and Bag 'em!

Works for Lions :D

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

I find, as a nOOb, the biggest barrier to improving is sheer volume of incoming information is overwhelming

Then concentrate on the most important things.

- break left, so you can watch both bandits and RWR with more ease (TrackIR or at least mouselook is a must here !!)

- stop fiddling with search radar in close quarters. Put it into boresight, or even better into vertical scan, and stick your eyeballs outside, so all you have to do in order to lock them up, is to pull your nose around (and with vertical scan all you might need is bank...)

- master the RWR, as it's more to it than only a warning device. It can provide you with a lot of well organised and easy to handle critical data.

- practice aerobatics. It's not a joke, as you'll find it a useful ability to perfectly fly the aircraft, without being glued to the HUD all the time. How many times you've lost it all, while looking around shoulder for a longer period of time? After some practice and gaining muscular memory, you'll be even able to more or less straighten up or recover the plane while being blackouted.

As for the tacview replay, I prefer external cameras, because they show three dimensional world, instead of a map. I watch the same engagement from my, bandit's and missiles' perspectives and then formulate conclusions. Also Youtube is a great source of education videos. Often I could spy really interesting ideas and moves inthe most ordinary and plain-looking footages :)

Also I use labels, although modified ones. I've checked with normal labels, how far I can see the dot being vehicle, ship, rocket or airplane and noted the max visibility distances. Then I've made my labels so they show only apostrophe, beginning at that max range. Basically, I've only enchanced the dot as if it was without labels, only bigger and a little easier to notice.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Originally Posted by Death-17

Any yahoo can fly fixed, it takes skill to fly rotor.

Just that you shouldn't put yourself in that predicament especially if you have help.

The unexpected can obviously happen, this is where you need these desperate measures because out maneuvering missiles close in, can be a lottery.

Dodging missiles in Lockon can be fairly easy but in reality im sure its a totally different story.

Exactly true, I have thought this myself many times, and was remarking on it as I made this video

YorEvbLGUv0

This was taken from the mission "Furball" and doesnot even show half what went on, but needless to say, many missiles were fired by both sides, and very few hit.

I think, like you say, IRL when the launch warning goes off, a pilot sh*ts him/herself, where as in Lock On, you kind of go "meh, no big deal".

Because he'll close to the NEZ and shoot you then. The missile will be high-energy all-the-way.

In short, that snake is great against AI who tend to launch at Rmax, but a player will move in closer and punish you. ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Thx GG. That´s for sure, but i was more thinking of things i do if i see someone coming still full closure "ignoring" the missile shot at him... A early sign of "what kind of" opponent you face. Anything has its answer.

Or you just maddog in the middle of that snake and let the missile does the rest ...hahahaha.......viva la loookon

That reminds me right here to another issue...the degree and strength the missile corrects its course related to "time to impact" in order to save as much energy as possible for terminal stage, but thats another story.

Edited by A.S

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

R1. Relying of such a snake completely imo busts your own SA of

any other threats around.

R2. Only works at Rmax

R3. You will likely not notice the second missile fired from closer range since

the first missile warning has all your attention

R4. You give yourself away, very predictable, however maybe you can use the

snake as some kind of faking maneouvre.

For these and more reasons I would not suggest using snaking as a defensive maneouvre...

I would try something like

1. Force the missile to fly significant lead ( simplest naive way: crank! ),

2. Break the missile's tracking ( it keeps flying that direction )

3. Turn somewhere else :).

The above will let you make the missile fly into nowhere with only a few seconds' work,

and you are back to fighting the opponent

Edited by =RvE=Yoda

S = SPARSE(m,n) abbreviates SPARSE([],[],[],m,n,0). This generates the ultimate sparse matrix, an m-by-n all zero matrix. - Matlab help on 'sparse'

So how do you evade SARH missiles then?

Those last second high-g breaks seem to only work against Active Radar Missiles since RWRs can somehow gauge the missile's distance.

Oh, I know a good technique.. Ctrl E E E or maybe just go home and call it quits.. (if the player still can..) :doh: :D

Edited by pauldy

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Analogy:

imagine your girlfriend is angry and is throwing with plates at you.

1. you dodge them as they close to your face

2. or you make sure you left that room long before she comes to that stuipid idea?

:megalol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

well in Lo the SARH missiles are so weak so you basically only need to

turn away 20 degrees or so and press chaff 5-10 times, and it will probably

lose you ( check on rwr if threat is still flashing )

There is no need to maneuver that much, but after it loses you you should try

to get some geometrical offset between the direction it is flying to last predicted

intercept point and your own flight vector ( basically just repeat step 3 in my

last post ).

Breaking its tracking, startin from the time you get the warning to the time it

has lost you should take maybe 2 seconds, then you spend 4-5 seconds getting

some geometric offset. ARH missiles maybe will take a few seconds more.

Edited by =RvE=Yoda

S = SPARSE(m,n) abbreviates SPARSE([],[],[],m,n,0). This generates the ultimate sparse matrix, an m-by-n all zero matrix. - Matlab help on 'sparse'

BVR=BFM=BVR=BFM

:smilewink:

btw yoda ..i see you also have the "answer to everything" 42 !!! hehe (you know that movie "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"?)

Edited by A.S

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

BVR=BFM=BVR=BFM

:smilewink:

btw yoda ..i see you also have the "answer to everything" 42 !!! heheh (you know that movie?)

Yes but I have not read the book.

BVR or Dogfighting, well, I guess I prefer BVR because it is slower.

I am not fast enough to do BFM :). By the time i figured out what to

do and start doing it I am already eating the bullets of the guy behind me