Is CCRP targetting with Mk82s random?

imacken

To me, it seems to be impossible to get any kind of target point accuracy with the Mk82 in CCRP mode. Mostly way long.

Is this an issue still?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

To me, it seems to be impossible to get any kind of target point accuracy with the Mk82 in CCRP mode. Mostly way long.

The HUD's designation "diamond" is misaligned by ~7 pixels to the external world and you need to use the top 1/3rd of the diamond (rather than center) to designate your target (otherwise bombs go long).

Is this an issue still?

The CCRP designation "+" marker has been removed but there's been no change in HUD alignment and it remains the same as in this post

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4190630#post4190630

(later posts in the same thread describe CCRP technique in the Mirage)

IIRC Zeus said he was working on CCIP and getting good results, so it's possible CCRP may also get an update (it's a very old issue).

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Thanks for that. Really helpful. Yes, the 'use the top third of the diamond' technique seems to work pretty well.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

CCRP is often stated as "not that precise", so besides the misaligned diamond (didn't know that) it isn't the biggest strength of the mirage.

Yes and we have to remember that A/G is not its primary function, the 2000-C is an interceptor. I'm curious to see by myself the difference with the 2000-D :music_whistling:

CCRP is often stated as "not that precise", so besides the misaligned diamond (didn't know that) it isn't the biggest strength of the mirage.

Yes and we have to remember that A/G is not its primary function, the 2000-C is an interceptor. I'm curious to see by myself the difference with the 2000-D :music_whistling:

CCRP isn't great on most planes, however, there is clearly an issue with its implementation on the Mirage in DCS.

The fact that its main role is an interceptor shouldn't preclude having a working A/G system! Otherwise, what is the point of installing it?

As Ramsay posted, once you designate with the correct part of the diamond, the system in indeed as precise as you'd expect from unguided bomb drops - that is, not very accurate still, but your bombs shouldn't consistently fall long. The parallax issue is indeed annoying and hopefully it will be fixed.

CCRP isn't great on most planes, however, there is clearly an issue with its implementation on the Mirage in DCS.

Do you mean anything besides the diamon misalignment? Just in DCS or in real world aircraft?

AFAIK, for example the Tornado used to deliver very accurate CCRP bombing, because that was the (whole) purpose of its development.

The fact that its main role is an interceptor shouldn't preclude having a working A/G system! Otherwise, what is the point of installing it?

Oh I don't think we will open the discussion here about features/functions on military aircraft which never reached the expectations or had been dumped because of no use on the operators side :book:

Yes there is misalignment. But the bombs will land on the same spot with consistency.

Work around is dive between 20 to 30 degrees, aim with top of the diamond, and release at least bombs in pair.

Anyway, that’s pretty much what they would do in real life, shallow dive designation is inaccurate with radar ranging in real life too.

DCS has its share of the problem with lack of radius damage effect. But anyway, no one expect consistent direct hit with dumb bombs.

And yes, Mirage 2000C isn’t Tornado, but at least you can shine above FL200 :D

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

"Very accurate" is a very strong function of what your expectations and target are.

When you're comparing your CCRP drop to using the sight on an F-104 or F-4 to hit a runway sure, CCRP in any jet as modern as the Tornado is going to be pretty accurate. When you try to hit individual tanks, and you have to hit spot on the tank to do anything because DCS damage modelling is silly, that's a whole other story.

Edited by TLTeo

DCS has its share of the problem with lack of radius damage effect.

Don’t know why this is still an issue after all this time. I mean, surely that is a very simple adjustment for ED.

They are aware that their damage modelling in general is mediocre, but I think it's one of those cases of them wanting to either do things really well, or not at all.

Not sure I agree with their approach then. I mean you can have a couple of trucks 2 or 3 metres apart, one being destroyed by a heavy dumb bomb and the other untouched. Crazy, but nothing that everyone isn’t aware of.

I will add that Mirage 2000C RDI was tasked for “on call” CAS, patrolling over Bosnia (1994) with SAMP 250kg or Mk-82. I’m not aware of live firing though.

m2000c-rav-01_255.jpg

Mirage 2000N did perform live attack on military targets, and CCPL is essentially the same (but with Antilope V radar instead of RDI).

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Interesting thread.

The misaligned diamond is a bug, or is "intended"?1 ...just a question even if a bit stupid. I don't have get the point.

I'm trying some M2000 CCIP attack because of the Viper problem with TGP, but i would like myself too give a chance to the CCRP on Blue Flag. Is RAZBAM going to give some more love to the M2000 AG (CCRP?)?

Interesting thread.

The misaligned diamond is a bug, or is "intended"?1 ...just a question even if a bit stupid. I don't have get the point.

I'm trying some M2000 CCIP attack because of the Viper problem with TGP, but i would like myself too give a chance to the CCRP on Blue Flag. Is RAZBAM going to give some more love to the M2000 AG (CCRP?)?

It’s a bug.

What’s the problem with Viper TGP ? I did try TGP with GBU-12 scoring direct hits...

I don’t know for the rest, probably, but we had some nice updates about AA lately with MAV mode for Magic 2, some radar bugs corrections and RDO function.

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

Thank for reply, so we need RAZBAM love.

O.T.: Viper TGP without laser, Mk82 and CBU97 CCRP, HUD symbology for TGP "camera" is offset vertically.

I know about M2000 AA, i'm back with my Mirage.:joystick:

What happened to the target marker when you designate your target with the diamond? Is that removed intentionally or what? I find it harder to use CCRP now anyway.

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz | Gigabyte Aorus Geforce GTX 1080 Ti | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 2400 MHz (2800 OC) | Asus Strix Z270E Gaming | Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD 1 TB | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD 500 GB | WD NAS Red 2TB SATA3 | Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H80i v2 | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | Saitek PRO rudder pedals | Valve Index

What happened to the target marker when you designate your target with the diamond? Is that removed intentionally or what? I find it harder to use CCRP now anyway.

It was removed because it's only a Mirage 2000D feature and is not present in our 2000C

It was removed because it's only a Mirage 2000D feature and is not present in our 2000C

Ok, more realism. That I like! :thumbup:

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz | Gigabyte Aorus Geforce GTX 1080 Ti | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 2400 MHz (2800 OC) | Asus Strix Z270E Gaming | Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD 1 TB | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD 500 GB | WD NAS Red 2TB SATA3 | Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H80i v2 | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | Saitek PRO rudder pedals | Valve Index

• 2 weeks later...
When you try to hit individual tanks, and you have to hit spot on the tank to do anything because DCS damage modelling is silly, that's a whole other story.

I have to disagree with this. First, ballistics are complicated to get right because there are many factors (ground, target armor, angles, shrapnels...) and also in that case you'd be surprised how well a tank can resist a 500lbs bomb falling within 10 meters, the crew not so much though!

Keep in mind bombs are not a good pick against armored and moving targets, lasing can do the trick with slight movement but you'd prefer missiles or 30mm in most cases.

Edited by Madone
Typo

Strike Posture Set CAS Center of Excellence

Intel Core i5 4690k @4,6Ghz, Gigabyte GTX 970 OC, Gigabyte Z97-X, 16GB G Skill Sniper @2400, Samsung 860/850 EVO , Win 10 64 bits, Dual monitors 27"@144"Opentrack + TM Warthog + Saitek pro flight combat 

I have to disagree with this. First, ballistics are complicated to get right because there are many factors (ground, target armor, angles, shrapnels...) and also in that case you'd be surprised how well a tank can resist a 500lbs bomb falling within 10 meters, the crew not so much though!

Keep in mind bombs are not a good pick against armored and moving targets, lasing can do the trick with slight movement but you'd prefer missiles or 30mm in most cases.

In game a hit 10m from a truck won’t do much either :music_whistling:

Mirage fanatic !

In game a hit 10m from a truck won’t do much either :music_whistling:

And that's an issue! Btw I learned IRL that if you lay under a truck to hide from a bombing (which is what most ppl would do), chances are your organs are going to burst inside of you cause the chassis will increase the blast pressure when passing under! Anyway, I was just mentioning that MBT's are not so vulnerable to bombs, but anything lighter amored tho... would be nice to see proper PI radiuses but idk if ED wants to/can?

Strike Posture Set CAS Center of Excellence

Intel Core i5 4690k @4,6Ghz, Gigabyte GTX 970 OC, Gigabyte Z97-X, 16GB G Skill Sniper @2400, Samsung 860/850 EVO , Win 10 64 bits, Dual monitors 27"@144"Opentrack + TM Warthog + Saitek pro flight combat