Mission 4 - Seriously?

ebabil

I just tried to play m4.

I am not an real aviator but i would never go this mission in real life with these conditions.

Night flight with Stormy weather, no visual, no gps, and funny nvg maintenance thing.

I just skipped this mission. Maybe i will fly this mission when gps addon is released.

• Like 1

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Well, IMO it isn't that tough like it might seem in the beginning. I'm also no real aviator and maybe it's unrealistic (but so is any Hollywood movie...and they're anyway entertaining) ;-)

Just use the ADF to find the airport. It was interesting to once fly only by using the instruments. That's something I'd never have done otherwise.

After you found the airport, you can follow the river. You can hardly miss it - and there are enough visuals when you have your lights on. I had no problems to follow the river or the road afterwards. Also the stormy weather wasn't that hard within the canyon. I'm really no pro, but I was able to do this mission. Overall I think it was interesting to have something else for once. In general I also prefer to have better sight though.

• Like 1

My ADF didn't take the signal for 10 mins so even finding the airport was very hard.

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Yes quite a different type of mission. I have seen helicopters fly in thick fog in the Alps with sling loads but never at night!

For this mission I used the ADF to find the airport and then used the landing light and search light. You can move them so the show up like two big spot lights on the ground to follow the valley.

Hope that helps.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TrubshawRN -=SHREK 94=-

Unfortunately there are real life situations that helicopters really operated under conditions like that. There were some recent examples that even turned bad at the end.

I know it seems extreme but I believe it "forces" you to fly under conditions which can improve your instrument flying. The nvg "story" is there to make you fly with a way that many crews would fly as not every army is using nvg in all aircraft.

I hope you will enjoy the rest of the campaign. Thanks again for the feedback.

Greg

"ARGO" DCS UH-1H DLC SP Campaign

373vFS DCS World squadron (Greece) - www.buddyspike.net

"ARGO 2.0 Project Phoenix" UH-1H DLC Campaign - WIP

[...]

I know it seems extreme but I believe it "forces" you to fly under conditions which can improve your instrument flying. The nvg "story" is there to make you fly with a way that many crews would fly as not every army is using nvg in all aircraft. [...]

Greg

It especially helped me to deal with all those light switches within the cockpit. So I finally know where to turn on which light and what it looks like (never dealt with that before). And it also tought me about the radios. FM and ADF aren't foreign words anymore.

Flying by instrument was only a short part of the mission, but it for sure teaches you to check out the different instruments. But once you trim the chopper, it anyway should fly more or less steady (and for the lazy guys, there's still the auto pilot feature once you have the correct heading). Once you're over the land, you can fly by visual as long as you don't go too high.

So to me, the whole campaign so far improved my knowledge of the Huey.

I was only surprised with the end of the mission (spoiler ahead).

When I destroyed the truck, there was another message (can't remember exactly what it was). But I simply had no idea what to do now. I orbited and in the end I even landed next to the other Huey because I had no clue what to do. Suddenly, the message "Mission accomplished" appeared.

On the other hand, I was glad I didn't have to fly back to land on the ship under these conditions.

• Like 1

I found the mission demanding, but not that hard, it really depens on your skills, but surely if the UN campagin was for begginer to intermediate pilots this is for intermediate/advanced, so it's very good to improve your own skills. I really appreciate this campaign because it offers different situations: the sky is not always clear, and the night also does exists (lots of missions and servers forget it). Maybe it's not totally realistic, but it offers situations that one wouldn't fly otherwise, and force to use all the instruments. The Huey (and other helicopters as well) have a potential of fun and entertainment otherwise not used.

Going back to the mission, to me it wasn't clear what to follow to find the camp:

if the road must be followed or the river, the instructions weren't clear, but this could be intentional. Eventually I found the picture in the briefing helping to understand better the position of the camp.

Instead what I didn't like (and ruined a bit the "immersion") was that the camp didn't look like a camp at all, it's a building with a wall, and very different from the photo included in the briefing, I needed too much immagination to match them. I suggest removing the photo of the camp, or alternatively, to make a camp with tents, maybe a little bigger. If you want to keep the building just put some tents around it. Just my 2 cents ;)

I have only had time to fly it once and crashed at the camp when trying to accomplish what was asked of me. To me it is fun and challenging. I liked that I had to do some flying in terrible weather conditions and IFR. Reminds me of stories of the Night Stalkers special operations squadron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah.. navigating in IMC at night is one thing. Being asked to engage hostiles who are shooting at you at night in IMC is another. I would have RTBd early in that mission in the real world. Oh well - it's just a game.

• 2 months later...

I had a harder time getting Trimmed than anything. However I did manage to fail this mission.

I found the Convoy and Killed the Subject Vehicle and got the Mission Accomplished message. But then as opposed to just landing and shutting down there (I did land cuz I though I was instructed to ?) I checked Comms/F10 to see what if any other Objectives there were.

It informed me that I was to continue to follow the Convoy (which was now miles down the road). I can only assume that the Yellow Bus(es) was the Convoy ?

I did relocate the "buses" but then Crashed, ultimately Failing the Mission.

Had I just shut down or Exited the Game/Mission ... would that have been Mission Accomplished like the message said ?

SnowTiger:joystick:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

I would need some help and clarification.

1) Everybody is talking about the F10 key to get a mission status. When I hit F10 I get the usual map but no mission status or hint?

2) When I flew over the refugee camp, there was no mission message. I am wondering if that is normal? However later in the canyon I got "... Do you see them... Fire only if anyone shoots first".

3) I do not know yet the keys to operate the rear gunner so I shooted with left and right forward cannons the 2-3 vehicles firing at me. As I got no mission message I kept searching and found other static vehicles and soldiers and shooted at them (but did not kill all of them)... Still no mission message. Now I understand from a previous message in this thread that I need to search for:

a yellow moving bus?

I was also messed up because the mission briefing says:

Report their position and wait for reinforcements.

- Tony -

. My Reviews: Oilfield Campaign - Argo Campaign l My Mission: Huey Ramp Start Voice-Over New!

. Microsoft Force Feedback 2 base modded with a CH Fighterstick - VKB Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV Pedals

. Intel i5 4670K @4.3 GHz - 32 Gb DDR3 - MSI GTX 1080 - ASUS PG278QR 27" 2K @165 Hz G-Sync

Hi simicro, when people refer to the F10 Other menu, they are talking about the radios. When you press Ralt \ in-flight or just \ on the ground, a radio menu will appear in the top right corner of the screen with options for communicating with wingmen/ATC etc. One of the categories is F10. Other and this is where you'll find custom items for missions.

With a bit of luck in the end, I completed the mission. It is a great relief to be able to see the light of the sun again. A kind of reward ;)

In this challenging but not impossible mission, the difficulty does not only come from the night, bad visibility and low ceiling but also the navigation in the very curvy canyon. And add to that the many powerlines scattered along the path!

A little tip for other fellows flying this mission: in addition to the search light, you can also use the landing light and direct it forward. That way, you have a double cone of light in front of the helicopter.

- Tony -

. My Reviews: Oilfield Campaign - Argo Campaign l My Mission: Huey Ramp Start Voice-Over New!

. Microsoft Force Feedback 2 base modded with a CH Fighterstick - VKB Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV Pedals

. Intel i5 4670K @4.3 GHz - 32 Gb DDR3 - MSI GTX 1080 - ASUS PG278QR 27" 2K @165 Hz G-Sync

• 2 months later...

You are most welcome Mango. I wish you a good time with the campaign!

- Tony -

• 1 month later...

Need Tips to keep engine from failing... It took me a while to figure out that I couldn't just full throttle everywhere after the last update, but now it seems like the engine catches fire in flight a LOT. Been monitoring the EGT, but on this mission #4 I just cant seem to climb over the mountains without the engine failing. How can I keep from doing this? Less Power can't be the only answer, as I will not be able to fly over about 80kts or do any climbing at all. Thanks for any ideas... Loving Argo, Loving the UH1, not a fan of how easy this engine grenades. Not sure why they didn't make an option to turn off (very sensitive engine)

i will not update to new engine until i finish the campaign... if u think mission 4 is hard wait for the later mission where u have to sling load in similar conditions and land it on a carrier... i almost finished the campagin and i got close to the carrier while descending i got the message misssion failure cargo damaged... dunno if it was excessive G or what.

I'm glad I'm not the only one struggling. If a real Huey was this sensitive, no one would ever get on one!. I'm a Private Pilot, and My last flight review (Dec 3rd) I brought this up to my flight instructor (who flew these in Nam) He said that as long as the governor was on, it was very hard to damage the engine at all, and they had lots of power, even when slinging loads. Now, I am unclear what model he was flying exactly, I assume there were different power levels over the years, but he said they were very reliable. We talked about VRS (Settling with power is what he called it) and Splitting the needles... He was amazed at my knowledge on the UH-1 thanks to this sim and the time I've put into using it (P.S. If you don't have an Oculus Rift... RUN to the store and get one! Simply amazing with DCS!)