Migration to SSD

Jocman

Hi all.

Finally after long time of thinking (and more long time of no flying at all....) I decided to switch my PC to a SSD disk

But now I'm deciding what to do with BS.

I own both versions, but currently the one installed is still the V1.

I would like to switch to V2, but I'm having some doubt about the home cockpit issue.

Few years ago I've been programming my open cockpit boards in order to work with BS V1, and even if the cockpit didn't see the life, all the panel prototypes I made worked fine.

My doubt now is: the V2 has been changed someway so to invalidate all my job, or V2 will work exactly like V1?

It's worth to install V2?

Thank for your opinion and suggestion

Andrea

Jocman

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return" (L. Da Vinci)

Prev. Projects:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=50071

I have 1 SSD and all 3 versions reside on it, 1.2, 1.5 & 2.0. No issues here,,,,

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Well, I could install both versions, then see what happens

BTW, honestly I don't see such difference between HDD and SSD, right now.

On HDD there's 32bit system, software installed and so on, and it starts in about 25 - 30 seconds, boot included (really, is very fast)

Now on the SSD there's 64bit system and nothing else.... and it starts in 15-20 seconds, boot included....

(I've installed a disk rack so to change hard disk and switch between my old system - I still use some software - and the new SSD)

Well, not really a big difference.......

Thanks guys

Andrea

Jocman

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return" (L. Da Vinci)

Prev. Projects:

The difference between an average of 17.5 (15-20) sec. vs. 27.5 (25-30) sec. amounts to about a 60% gain. I would call that a big difference.

Regarding v1.x vs v2.x. If there are significant changes, you are going to have to deal with them at some point since once v2.5 is released, v1.x will become a dead end with no further development.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Just to get some clarification.

Is it BS 1 vs BS 2, or DCSW 1.X vs DCSW 2.X we are thinking about?

I get the impression it's the first. In that case BS 1 has been "dead" (playable but no development/updates) for years, BS 2 aswell if not changing to DCSW.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Just to get some clarification.

Is it BS 1 vs BS 2, or DCSW 1.X vs DCSW 2.X we are thinking about?

I get the impression it's the first. In that case BS 1 has been "dead" (playable but no development/updates) for years, BS 2 aswell if not changing to DCSW.

Yep,i'm talking about black shark

I know is...dead since v2 has been released

My only doubt was not wich one is better (ofcourse v2 must have.improvement);i was just wondering about the developing of a home cockpit,as the cards programming with bs1 has been quite...challenging to me,and start eventually from the beginning with bs2 won't make me happi

Jocman

Prev. Projects:

Well, still having trouble with migration to SSD....

I put win 7 64 on it, so to finally use all my ram (12 Gb - till today I had 32bit OS).

No way to make the audio work....

I know, my system is quite....old: I own a Asus P5A board with AMD Phenom

The audio is provided by a SupremFX X-Fi board (such "embedded" with the MB). I got the system in 2009 and I'm still happy how it works.

If I mount my old HDD with 32bit OS everything work fine; that's meaning the hardware is working.

So the problem MUST be such a driver issue with 64bit OS.

"Obviously" Creative discontinued the board and with it the support (their solution is such "it's your problem, not my")

I found several 64bit audio drivers (Realtek, ausus....), installed all of them but nothing....

Audio's still dead.....

Among thousand of curses, I'm also thinking about upgrade the system (ok, it's euphemism: upgrade my system means get ALL - well maybe not the SSD - and that means lot of money).

But before access to my wallet, i would like to fix the problem.

Any help / suggestion / similar ?

Thanks

Andrea

Jocman

Prev. Projects:

Why are you still using Win 7? Win 10 is SOOO much better now. The major thing I have found with Win 10, is that I don't have to completely wipe my drive every six months because of built up errors. Been running Win 10 for well over a year now NO errors. LOVE IT. Plus, everything is moving to apps now, which you can't run in Win 7.

Sorry to hear about your driver issues. Yeah, 2009..., its probably time to upgrade to a new Win 10 supported card. Probably time to upgrade your motherboard, and you'll find 7.1 audio is built in now. :p

I put win 7 64 on it, so to finally use all my ram (12 Gb - till today I had 32bit OS).

No way to make the audio work....

Any help / suggestion / similar ?

I also have an almost as old gaming PC, based on a 2010 MSI BigBang Fuzion motherboard, my advise would be to first try a newer 64 bits Windows (8.1 or 10), since each new version includes more built in drivers than the previous, so there is a good chance that your sound card will be detected.

Alternatively, you could purchase a cheap but modern PCIex (first verify that your motherboard do have a proper slot for it) sound card, for example:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102063

:)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Guys,the reason is almost easy: i've win7 64,why to buy another os to use it?

Actually, you can upgrade to Windows 10 for free (and legally), just go to this link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

If you prefer to do a clean install, rather than an upgrade, you can legally download the Windows 10 installer and install it using your Windows 7 key, using this link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

:)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Why are you still using Win 7?

I'm using it because I've no need for anything else. Originally installed in early 2012 and no repairs done ever, my Win7 still works without errors or hiccups. But then, this is a lean OS installation with a grand total of 29 services running all told.

And yeah, it runs DCS great too, very fluid and fast. So why exactly should I upgrade?

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Plus, everything is moving to apps now, which you can't run in Win 7.

I have a surface tablet computer with windows 10, and I've never seen an app that I would want on my PC that runs DCS. There is a snowball's chance in hell that DCS will upgrade to DX12 in the near future, but if it does, I'll upgrade to windows 10.

As for the sound issue, other games will automatically install the drivers you need to get sound working again. I think it was after I reinstalled Cliffs of Dover on steam that sound worked for me again in DCS after an OS reinstall.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria