Google cardboard with DCS world

sniperwolfpk5

Currently I don't have DCS installed on my PC as my PC crashed. Once it is ready I will post some images of my trinus settings

Win10, Intel 3rd Gen. Core i7 3.8Ghz, 20GB ram, Nvidia Geforce 1060 6GB Opentrack (Download it from HERE), PS3 Eye, Saitek x52-pro Joystick,

DIY Rudder Pedals,

Google Cardboard with DCS World

English is not my native language

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I discovered I don't necessarily need Trinus VR for this, I can use only Moonlight. Bad thing was that I discovered literally 15 minutes after I bought the full version of Trinus. :D

You don't even need to check the VR in VR tab... just Stereo and you are set. Of course you have to provide the head tracking via Trackir etc.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Well it is your bad luck. Trinus is for those who don't have nvidia card, because moonlight dont' work on AMD cards. Trinus can be more customizable and you can play any game that is not build for VR or don't have stereo option

Win10, Intel 3rd Gen. Core i7 3.8Ghz, 20GB ram, Nvidia Geforce 1060 6GB Opentrack (Download it from HERE), PS3 Eye, Saitek x52-pro Joystick,

DIY Rudder Pedals,

Yeah... it's OK... :)

They are pretty different and maybe later it will be handy to have them both. For the moment I don't see the use of image warping options Trinus brings. Do you use them? If yes what settings? I tried a few and it was pretty bad distortion. With streight images I see no problems.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Can anyone help me out with this. I have DCS World running in VR on my Samsung GS7 and it works beautifully. the only problem i have is that when I get to the VR menu's, most of the bottom and right sides are cut off and I can't access anything other than the settings (as it is the one area that is not cut off) but once I go to the settings I can't get out of them because, once again, they are cut off at the bottom. Does anyone know how to fix this?

You either take your headset off and operate the normal monitor or you need to use Trinus VR to make it bend your images so they will fit the lenses. If you use only Moonlight the images on the phone are normal/straight not adjusted for headset/lenses type.

I prefer the normal straight mode myself with my headset as it looks best and also cuts the middle man Trinus VR. At least for now...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi sniper, how do you make the Trinus send the head movement to the mouse in the sim?, I have tried in the OpenBeta, but the mouse dissapear in the Headset view, even in the screen is visible. If you move the real mouse the head move in the sim, if you move the VR headset, you see the mouse moving in the screeen, but do not move the sim headlook view! :(

I tried google VR with DCS world. I would like people to try it as well. You will see a glimpse of VR with google cardboard. The experience is very nice if you are trying for the first time. The things are more real. You will feel the heights, the depth of world. Flying in a huey and going down from high altitude you will feel it that I am going down. I can imagine what would be the experience in Oculus and Vive. It would be mind blowing experience. That was my experience.

OK what you need to use Google VR with DCS.

• Buy a cheap google cardboard. There are tons of on ebay, Aliexpress and other sites.
  • Head tracking is very very important. If you don't have TrackIR then try opentrack or FreeTrackNoIR. Without head tracking VR is useless.
  • A smart phone. I have android based smartphone with 1440p screen resolutions.
  • You need Splashtop wired xDisplay agent that will run on your PC. Get it from here. You need wired version not wifi one which is very slow frame rates.
  • You also need android app. Get it from here

Setting up all the mess

• Install wired xdisplay agent on your PC
  • Install xdiplay client on your andriod phone
  • Now run DCS world. Go to options and select stereo from monitor dropdown. Apply settings

That's it

I thank you SkateZilla for directing me for the stereo option in DCS World.

Limitations

xDisplay support limited resolutions. So the resolution are not good. xDisplay has better frame rates compared to others. You can set High frame rate in xDisplay agent but it is not the best but better than others.

My Up to date and Recommended Software and Setup

• Use Trinus VR. This is the best software. It works good with AMD and even Nvidia cards. It allows to setup IPDs, Image quality, Resolution, Phone size and Head tracking etc
  • For head set I would recommend a cheap chines head set which allows you to set IPDs and focus setting
  • I am using Boob VR z4. It has 110 degree of FOV

My final thoughts

I wish I have the money to buy a powerful PC and one of the VR set. Anyhow the experience was awesome. I would encourage people to try it. You can check my sig for hardware and other stuff I used.

Thank you

Excuse my English skill

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Yes you have to select stereo option

Thats what I get by selecting "stereo" in the Monitor dropdown.

VR.png

Do you (or someone else) know what might cause this?

Edited by MemphisBelle

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

Are you using Trinus? if so there is an option in Video tab that option let none VR games to be played in VR mod. Just disable that option and you are good to go

• Like 1

DIY Rudder Pedals,

Increase resolutions from in game resolution settings(DCS settings). If the image quality is bad then on the Trinus main screen there is image quality slider or drop down just select high quality option.

DIY Rudder Pedals,

Hi!

I use a freetrack, the program trinusvr, the game of "stereo" monitor setup. I can not move along the "X", "Y", "Z" axis in the cockpit when using the VR goggles. there is something to this solution?

There are multiple solutions for head tracking

1. If you want head tracking. Then the best option is to use freetrack, opentrack or trackIR just use it as you use it normally. In trinus select no headtracking.

2. Use pie tracking that will use your mobile gyro sensor. Install pie app on your phone and select pie tracker from trinus headtracking dropdown.

The first option is the best it will give you 6dof freedom movement.

DIY Rudder Pedals,

Hi!

I use a freetrack, the program trinusvr, the game of "stereo" monitor setup. I can not move along the "X", "Y", "Z" axis in the cockpit when using the VR goggles. there is something to this solution?

I have full 6dof Movement in the Cockpit by using TrackIR, I did not altered the Trinus Server Head tracking settings. Freetrack might have its issues. But if freetrack works fine ingame so its just a matter of strreaming the image to your phone. Make sure that you run DCS as admin as well as you should run Freetrack as admin. I noticed issues when I changed in the DCS settings Monitor / stereo. DCS is restarting automatically and fails to run as admin thus TrackIR will not be loaded / recognized. So make sure to restart DCS with adminrights once you changed the monitor settings.

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

• 4 months later...

OK. I've just spent the last two days researching this. I have a Hamswan set of VR goggles from Amazon on the way because I had discovered that they can be used with my Mavic drone to extend my flying experience but more so to be able to see the screen that is impossible to see in bright sunlight.

Also getting back into DCS after a couple of years I see everybody raving about VR.

But, as I understand it now, the $30 goggles will only allow head tracking with the add on gear but the $500 goggles will have head tracking built in?

Last year I got around to building the cheap track setup converting a Playstation camera but never really did set it up properly. So, I still have that and may attempt to fiddle with it.

Orrrr.....blow the big bucks for another toy. I might also hold off to look for price drops in the future.

• 8 months later...

NO VR ??

You should try moonlight via usb. FullHD at 60fps is not a problem.

but that's in full screen , no VR SBS!! so why show on a smaal screen if not using VR ??

than better on pc screen or tv screen .

i installed the moonlight on pc and my phone and works oke , but no vr look.

so now i need also program like TRITON ???

do they work together or no need for moonlight ?

by the way , the time i had moonlight connected ,, is looses to quick connection.. had to press regaine connection ?

Apparently it should work with the app "Trinus VR". I don't know about drift though, how accurate the sensors in your phone are. Only Trinus VR required afaik.

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

I think after you can find Lenovo Explorer WMR on Microsoft store from time to time on discount for just 150$ al this time, money and effort with Google cardboard is pointles.

Remeber Google cardboard don't have proper tracking and controllers and Lenovo Explorer got this all and much more.

Exactly. Or the very beautiful white Dell Visor.

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence