[REPORTED]MLWS not detecting Stinger/Igla missiles

Rex854Warrior

Hey everyone,

The MLWS on the A-10C should detect incoming manpad since they are the biggest threat for a CAS role aircraft. But i've not been able to detect any incoming stinger/igla missiles with the MLWS, whatever angle i take, at any distances, nothing.

Anyways, Happy new year and good evening :).

Edited by BIGNEWY

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It detects smoke plumes. I remember a conversation about this some time ago. It will detect strela manpads but not stinger and igla because they use smokeless engines.

I'm not to sure about this though, because I would think it detects a missiles ir source (heat from the engine), but I read something else in this forum iirc.

Edit: scratch the above.

This is the Wikipedia info:

The AN/AAR-47 passively detects missiles by their Ultraviolet signature, and uses algorithms to differentiate between incoming missiles and false alarms. Newer versions also have laser warning sensors and are capable of detecting a wider range of threats. After processing the nature of the threat, the system gives the pilot an audio and visual warning, and indicates the direction of the incoming threat. It also sends a signal to the aircraft's infrared countermeasures system, which can then for example deploy flares.

The system's algorithms include looking for temporal variations in a signal's strength, such as the brightening of an incoming missile. It also evaluates the spectral bandpass of the threat to reduce false alarms and has software for detecting events, such as the launch of a surface-to-air missile.

I think it should just detect the launches, but again, I only know what I read about it.

Edited by fixen

You will get a Launch indication and indication of where that launch took place relative to the aircraft, but IR SAMS / MANPADS are passive. They are not tracked the same way an active or semi active missile are.

Sierra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

You will get a Launch indication and indication of where that launch took place relative to the aircraft, but IR SAMS / MANPADS are passive. They are not tracked the same way an active or semi active missile are.

Sierra

Do you play the A-10C ? The MLWS or Missile launch warning system detects incoming missiles active or passive. It's the little cameras on the wing tips, tail end and front of the aircraft.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It detects smoke plumes. I remember a conversation about this some time ago. It will detect strela manpads but not stinger and igla because they use smokeless engines.

I'm not to sure about this though, because I would think it detects a missiles ir source (heat from the engine), but I read something else in this forum iirc.

Edit: scratch the above.

This is the Wikipedia info:

The AN/AAR-47 passively detects missiles by their Ultraviolet signature, and uses algorithms to differentiate between incoming missiles and false alarms. Newer versions also have laser warning sensors and are capable of detecting a wider range of threats. After processing the nature of the threat, the system gives the pilot an audio and visual warning, and indicates the direction of the incoming threat. It also sends a signal to the aircraft's infrared countermeasures system, which can then for example deploy flares.

The system's algorithms include looking for temporal variations in a signal's strength, such as the brightening of an incoming missile. It also evaluates the spectral bandpass of the threat to reduce false alarms and has software for detecting events, such as the launch of a surface-to-air missile.

I think it should just detect the launches, but again, I only know what I read about it.

I've read the same thing, but seing how badly stingers wrecked choppers during the Russian war in afghanistan, you would think Americans made it so the MLWS would detect them. When you are doing CAS i hardly see any other threats (on the ground) that you haven't detected before your attack. And Manpads produce quite a bit of smoke, pretty sure even if it relied on that it would see them.

Edited by Rex854Warrior

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes...I fly the A-10C...the MWS Passivly detects the LAUNCH or a MANPAD / IR missile and provides a warning using the sensors (not cameras) you mentioned earlier. It does not "track" them because once their motor burns out they are passive weapons.

"When the Missile Warning System (MWS) is active and a missile launch has been detected by the sensors on the wings and tail, an “M” is displayed along the azimuth the launch was detected. The symbol will continue to appear 10 seconds after the launch is no longer detected (missile motor has stopped burning). Note that the MWS cannot distinguish between enemy and friendly missiles or air launched missiles from ground launched missiles. As such, you may receive launch indications from both friendly and ground units."

Now, if you are saying you are getting no indication at all of MANPAD / IR SAMs launches...that might be an issue. If you are saying the MWS doesnt "Track" the IR missiles the same as a radar missile you're assumption is incorrect.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Now, if you are saying you are getting no indication at all of MANPAD / IR SAMs launches...that might be an issue. If you are saying the MWS doesnt "Track" the IR missiles the same as a radar missile you're assumption is incorrect.

As said in the title and in my original message, "not DETECTING" not the same thing as tracking.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As said in the title and in my original message, "not DETECTING" not the same thing as tracking.

You said...

"The MLWS on the A-10C should detect incoming manpad"...incoming and launched are two completely different things.

If you think it is a bug, set up a basic mission with a MANPAD ground unit and an A-10. Ensure you have the CSMS configured properly and fly over the MANPAD. If it fires and you get a warning, the system is working as advertised. If he fires and you get no warning, do it again several time to confirm what happens then post the track here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=487

Sierra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

You said...

"The MLWS on the A-10C should detect incoming manpad"...incoming and launched are two completely different things.

Sierra

Indeed, didn't use the proper word. We are speaking about when the Missile is launched. I did some tests and nothing is detected when the manpad missile fires.

Edited by Rex854Warrior

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

MANPADS are currently bugged, they emit almost no smoke and don't set off MWS. There's a thread about it here https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=176731

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

Rex, can you confirm the MLWS is set to on? I've had a glitch a couple times where it's activated on the switch on the CMS control panel but up on the front dash it's not activated. I have to turn it off and on again to get it back.

Just to confirm - you're sure this isn't what's going on?

Intel i5-8600k | EVGA RTX 3070 | Windows 10 | 32GB RAM @3600 MHz | 500 GB Samsung 850 SSD

Rex, can you confirm the MLWS is set to on? I've had a glitch a couple times where it's activated on the switch on the CMS control panel but up on the front dash it's not activated. I have to turn it off and on again to get it back.

Just to confirm - you're sure this isn't what's going on?

100% sure. And it's not like it's the first time i test it, did some tests last week and i played a few missions with manpads in the A-10C

Edited by Rex854Warrior

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

Yeah, MLWS is still not working against MANPADS.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

I have like 1200 hours in the module. MANPADS are not being detected, its a problem.

Come join a passionate community of flight simmers everyday, live at

16hnv2f.png

PC Specs

Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.4GHz MSI Z170A Gaming M7

Corsair Vengeance LED 2666MHz 32GB DDR4

H115i 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler

EVGA GeForce 980Ti Hybrid (built-in liquid cooling)

EVGA SuperNova 750W 80+Gold

Samsung NVMe 950PRO M.2 SSD 512GBx2

Noitced the very same issue in our squad training today. Three missile launches on three two-ships and neither leads nor wingmen got any launch detected. That way iglas are a severe threat again. Bug?

Windows 10, I7 8700k@5,15GHz, 32GB Ram, GTX1080, HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift CV1, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] ЯБоГ32_Принз

• ED Team

Hi guys

I will take some time tonight and take a look into this.

We do have some related issue's reported, but I will investigate further

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

I will add a note to the report, my understanding is it is most likely the missile and the way DCS handles the launch, hopefully this will resolve other aircraft having the same issue.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 4 weeks later...