VR Recovery exist !?

Here is an interesting post from Tigroou about VR and performances up in OB 2.5.6

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=256205&page=5

"

Hi all,

after crying like every one for the FPS drop (huge) of version DCS 2.5.6.45915 Open Beta 2020-03-31 and all other version since 2.5.6

i tryed playing this afternoon on F18 instant action AIM9X and I had an average 18fps with ASW. It was unplayable after the last update. I was even at PD 1.0 and Flat shadow on medium etc.

my configuration is a high end one (2080Ti / 9900K /32Go / SSD etc...) I play on Rift S.

So dead for dead I tryed to install latest Nvidia Gameready (which does not support DCS in their list) as I planned to try Alyx next weekend…

I installed those driver 445.75 with the graphic setup of Nvidia and tick the box "reinitiate all parameters" as last month I followed a DCS tutorial to adapt nvidia settings for VR, It was a mess for me to understand what was the effects of each parameter.

And there: BIG MIRACLE:

40 fps stable (even higher than on 2.5.5) with PD at 1.6 in oculus debug tool.

I tryed with F18 / F14 / F16 in Nevada and PG in Freeflight mode.

I even set shadows on normal, every settings max (but visibility medium)

There is only a frame drop with the F16 when my sight is coming close to Down town in Nevada. It 's perfect in the suburbs.

Second case with F16 and F18 for FPS drop is closing static Fighters on Nallis AFB (for the F18 I have to close those parked fighters below 0.5 Nm (not accurate value) )

The FPS drop is Bang/bang type (like a GBU12^^) it's On or OFF when I look the bad direction.

It's not depending of the number of 3D objects displayed, it's obvious in this case.

With F14 and F18 there are zero FPS drop in Las Vegas (ZERO) unless sighting parked fighters, not civilian aircraft at the airport.

I made 10 différents missions, even AIM 9X practice was perfect.

It was also perfect in PG FreeFlight mission for F16 but I had to wait 30 seconds before FPS rise from 20 to 40.

Hope it helps for others, I ll try to send pictures if needed.

Hope it will be stable in time as well.

Thx ED for the work.

Tigrou, cheers from France.

"

Sorry to presume, but I assume he means the Restore button. If so, it would be useful to know which parameters were not set to defaults.

Either that, or when reinstalling / updating drivers, you get an (from memory) express or custom option. The custom option option allows you to return all settings to defaults, again iirc. I haven't used the custom option for years, and always use express - I've never had an issue.

Certainly worth a try if you're having serious performance issues.

But also worth asking the OP, is there now any difference between 2.5.5 and 2.5.6 performance. Was there previously?

In my case, I have both 2.5.5 and 2.5.6 on my PC and can switch between them in seconds for testing, I get around 15% performance loss going to 2.5.6. On missions with lots of AI / statics, the performance drop can be severe (~80%) - the only change made is the DCS version.

768591815_nvidiasettings.thumb.png.79435c30770d6e127f0ac11f8439848f.png

Edited by Hippo

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Sure

Tigroou does not say open beta is perfect. We know it is not yet

He says that open beta performance was bad on very simple mission on his powerful machine, until he made some software upgrade and settings OUTSIDE of DCS

So waiting for beta update seem to be only one part of the solution to get pure performance ( simple mission allow to test pure performance )

Without good pure performance. we can forget complex mission...

He tried to solve problems one by one, he succeded on a first one that could be useful for poeple in same case : bad pure performance ( simple mission )

Edited by fab.13

hi every one,

to sum up:

OB 2.5.5 was rather good for me as most of you in VR.

updating 2.5.6 caused severe drop performances (18 fps average) so I followed the checklist on a YouTube tutorial by "Luka S" and finally I tryed to change each parameters one by one in the nvidia control panel. I couldn't manage to reset them properly. So when updating to 445.75 nvidia driver (final attempt for me as I thought it should ****ed up every thing...), I tryed to tick the box "standard parameters" below the list of install as Hippo said.

I Don't know the impact of them, but that's what I did.

then as Fab13 told, I tryed basic missions with "controlled layers of software" to check what was the origin. (F18 / F16 /F14 / Inside or outside the cokpit/ direction and FOV of VR headset / static objects yes or no/ shadows etc...)

I guess this report must be redundant with other posts like the F16 VR post.

but simply updating drivers with default setup could save someone else, that would be a good start.

I confirm that OB 2.5.6 (last update) is really better than everything I saw till now (even 2.5.5)… when it works!!^^ (exemple: freeflight in Dubai)

Honestly, I have the opposite experience with 445.75 killing performance in multiplayer to where it's unplayable. Go figure.

EDIT: I gave it a spin, and now I've got freezes every 5-10 seconds, still haven't tried VR.

Edited by SPAS79

• 3 weeks later...

Just do what I did, reinstall NVIDIA 445.87 by installing using the clean install option located under the customization option.

worked for me.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||