HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

Well in official DCS World 2.5 is working but in latest Beta doesnt

As I said above, that makes no sense to me. Are you saying that - in the same VR session - if you run the beta DCS you don’t get 6 DOF, but if you quit out of DCS and run the stable DCS - without exiting WMR - then you do get 6 DOF?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Fixed with Unclezam suggestion yuhuu

Two others suggested WMR tracking was the issue earlier. However, it doesn’t explain how you magically had it working in one DCS version and not the other.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

As he said, he doesn't do the Calibration right before he launched the Beta.

It was not a DCS Beta Problem.

@ micsmotionsimulator

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thrustmaster Warthog SLM - F/A-18 , MFG Crosswind V2 , Cougar MFD`s , HP Reverb , PointCtrl , i9@5,1Ghz/2080Ti,

:joystick: DIY 2DOF Motionsimulator with 4Ch Simshaker :joystick:

As he said, he doesn't do the Calibration right before he launched the Beta.

It was not a DCS Beta Problem.

@ micsmotionsimulator

That it was not a DCS issue was clear from the start! But he was insisting that it was, by blaming recent patches. He said he always had a problem when running DCS ever since the recent patches, but everything was fine when running another 'Alpha' DCS version. That didn't make sense as stated initially.

ok lets start from the beginning ive startde DCS Beta after the patch and VR didnt work properly (by the way i always start Steam VR before starting DCS but not picking up my headset) then ive run official version of DCS and in there was working followed by open beta where again didnt. What i did now is ive run Steam VR, picked up headset and look around and after that started DCS open beta and now its working. Also my racing games didnt have an issue only DCS Beta after new update for some reason. Please dont ask me how when why but it was like this

Edited by wampire

Does anyone know if we're any closer to having passthough activated?

do you mean native WMR support? no there is no new data on that

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I run DCS in 200% SS in SteamVR and without MS and AF in DCS.

@ micsmotionsimulator

I run 100% SS, 4X MSAA, 16X AF, with shadows off and get good overall results for my liking. :)

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I think he's asking about passthrough that will allow us to see our real world surroundings in game when we want to. Could be wrong though. :)

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

ok lets start from the beginning ive startde DCS Beta after the patch and VR didnt work properly (by the way i always start Steam VR before starting DCS but not picking up my headset) then ive run official version of DCS and in there was working followed by open beta where again didnt. What i did now is ive run Steam VR, picked up headset and look around and after that started DCS open beta and now its working. Also my racing games didnt have an issue only DCS Beta after new update for some reason. Please dont ask me how when why but it was like this

sorry mate, i haven't the faintest idea of what you are asking or saying? do you want to try again...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Brief question:

I had the Rift S and an Index, but on both the shimmering in some parts was really terrible. For example on the carrier, looking at the island all those cables around the antennas etc caused lots of shimmer.

Is the shimmer also a big problem on the Reverb or is it slighly or even much better because of the higher resolution?

Thx

Brief question:

I had the Rift S and an Index, but on both the shimmering in some parts was really terrible. For example on the carrier, looking at the island all those cables around the antennas etc caused lots of shimmer.

Is the shimmer also a big problem on the Reverb or is it slighly or even much better because of the higher resolution?

Thx

The effect you are describing is called aliasing. It is still very much an issue on the Reverb. Obviously, there are techniques like MSAA to help eliminate this, but they come at a big performance/resource hit.

Thx for the info. Since this effect on my 1440p-monitor is greatly reduced compared to the mentioned headsets, I assumed it should be also better on the Reverb. I guess, it actually is slightly reduced, but only just so slightly.....

The shimmering was one (of a few) things, that I could not get over in VR, which made me go back to the monitor. Still I think I need to give the Reverb a try; just to know.

HP Reverb Gen.2 incoming

@ micsmotionsimulator

Great i only bought my HP Reverb a few months ago. :cry:

Utrinque Paratus

I7-9700K OCTA-CORE 3.6 GHZ / 4.8 GHZ

RAM 32 GB DDR4 (3000 MHZ)

NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER - 8 GB GDDR6

STORAGE - 2TB SSD - 6 TB SATA

Great i only bought my HP Reverb a few months ago. :cry:
Yea I posted an article similar to this a few threads up. I bet this time they will get it right and it will cost more. But don't worry it's not out anytime soon.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Thx for the info. Since this effect on my 1440p-monitor is greatly reduced compared to the mentioned headsets, I assumed it should be also better on the Reverb. I guess, it actually is slightly reduced, but only just so slightly.....

The shimmering was one (of a few) things, that I could not get over in VR, which made me go back to the monitor. Still I think I need to give the Reverb a try; just to know.

I'm running 4X MSAA with my Reverb and get very little shimmering, just have to keep my SteamVR SS at 100% to compensate for the performance hit from MSAA. That's OK now though, since 100% SS finally gets us close to native resolution on the Reverb.

guys im having an issue with Reverb in DCS. 2 patches ago everything started. When i start Beta with any plane i can look left, right, up, down but i cant lean or do any other movement (well i can but in that case instead of leaning the whole screen is moving). Well it looks like basic Track IR effect. Then they did a patch and everything was fine but now with latest patch im back with the same problem. Tried erasing all the settings, repair DCS but nottin helped. Alpha is running ok problem is just with Beta. Any solution for this?

Stand up, look back, sometimes even more than 180°, until you see the view jump back to 6DOF

If persistent, I take my goggles off and do just the goggles, look at your screen mirror to see the view jump a bit back to 6DOF, also try turning into a light source which picks this up easier.

I nothing works you might have to restart MRP, maybe 'clear environment' in Setup.

I have had many periods this tracking loss happens, and then no problem whatsoever, it happens also when you don't move you goggles, when they are on the table, and/or when there is no light source in view of the camera's. YMMV.

Edited by majapahit

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

I now got my second Reverb; just got a good chance and thought, 2hrs of testing the first time, did not do the headset justice.

What I found now is, that cromatic abberation is still as bad as it was last October. But overall it was better than expected. The aliasing isnt as pronounced as on the Rift S or the Index and almost ok for me.

What I dont like about the small sweetspot is, that one usually looks at the lower part of the image (to check the instruments etc), which is not bad, but still a bit more blurry as the middle part. Moving down the head everytime for me is tirering...

Loading screens usually jump all over the place and do flicker very bad, so I usually have to close my eyes. Is there someting I can do to make this better??

The head set overall feels quite comfortable and since I fixed the cable to the halo on the backside of the headstrap, its stiffness isnt a big problem any more.

Performance seems quite acceptable; I even dare say, that its better than with the Index. With settings for acceptable fps on my system the image qualitiy of the Index was worse, than the settings on the Reverb I found today. But this clealy needs some more testing.

After using it for a few hours today my eyes felt rather tired/strained. I need to look at this closer, since the Index and the Rift S did not do this.

Overall, I need to do more flying to be able to find a conclusion for me. Right now, its kind of 60% sell again and 40% for keeping it.

Yep, ‘enabled’ is equivalent to ‘auto’, and ‘force always on’ equivalent to ‘motionvector’. A smooth 45fps is fine.

A couple of other points. Firstly, there are several quite heated threads about VR degraded performance in 2.5.6. ED are working on this. Secondly, try other values than 100% for SteamVR SS. I run at 150% and find that makes a huge difference to clarity.

OK, so question regarding the reverb settings....... I tried using your 150% today on the global setting and 100% in the DCS application setting and HOLY cow was the visual crisper and more defined. It was almost like looking at a 4K monitor. However, my FPS and CPU framerates were dogshite. I was testing in the NTTR instant action free flight. Over the desert, it was fine, but as soon as I got near the Vegas strip, it started getting choppy and FPS went from a solid 45 down to 30.

I did some experimenting and turned shadows off on both terrain objects and just shadows. It helped a bit but not enough to overcome the stuttering. BTW the stuttering was only really noticeable when looking at 3 or 9 o'clock and was accentuated when rolling while looking out at either wingline.

I also experimented with turning "Legacy Reprojection Mode" both on and off. WHich is the prefered setting for this? BTW, I'm running MSAA Off and AF on 8x.

My rig should be able to easily handle these setting with smooth framerates, so I'm a bit stumped as to why everything is so slow. VrFPS was showing FPS in the 30-36 FPS and GPU frametimes in the 12-17ms range. The CPU frametimes were showing lots of Red.

I'm currently on 2.5.6 OB and am very tempted to roll back to 2.5.5 stable.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Notso

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

What I dont like about the small sweetspot is, that one usually looks at the lower part of the image (to check the instruments etc), which is not bad, but still a bit more blurry as the middle part. Moving down the head everytime for me is tirering...

After using it for a few hours today my eyes felt rather tired/strained. I need to look at this closer, since the Index and the Rift S did not do this.

Yes I have same eyestrain issue after 1 hour. I could use Rift-S for 5 hours easily.

I think it is because the sweet spot is smaller in Reverb and the eyes are more strained trying to keep things in focus.

Trying to experiment with 62.5 , 63.5 , 64.5 IPD in WMR settings (I am 63.5) finding it doesn't help with the strain on the eyes.

Sim Rig || Pics 2010 |

PC 2019 || 8600K @ 4.8GHz | RTX2080ti OC | 32GB RAM @3000 | 500GB SSD | Win10 64bit |

PC 2010 || 2600K @ 3.4GHz | Zotac GTX680 | 8GB RAM | Win7 64bit Ultimate SP1 |

Cockpit || Joystick: T.16000M | Pedals: Logitech G25 | Throttle & Collective: Logitech Attack3 Modded | Button Box: G25 Shifter |

Cockpit || HP Reverb VR | Custom Frame & Seat | 3x Bass Shaker | 2:1 Game Sound | 2x Rear Head Rest Speakers Comms/Music |

OK, so question regarding the reverb settings....... I tried using your 150% today on the global setting and 100% in the DCS application setting and HOLY cow was the visual crisper and more defined. It was almost like looking at a 4K monitor. However, my FPS and CPU framerates were dogshite. I was testing in the NTTR instant action free flight. Over the desert, it was fine, but as soon as I got near the Vegas strip, it started getting choppy and FPS went from a solid 45 down to 30.

I did some experimenting and turned shadows off on both terrain objects and just shadows. It helped a bit but not enough to overcome the stuttering. BTW the stuttering was only really noticeable when looking at 3 or 9 o'clock and was accentuated when rolling while looking out at either wingline.

I also experimented with turning "Legacy Reprojection Mode" both on and off. WHich is the prefered setting for this? BTW, I'm running MSAA Off and AF on 8x.

My rig should be able to easily handle these setting with smooth framerates, so I'm a bit stumped as to why everything is so slow. VrFPS was showing FPS in the 30-36 FPS and GPU frametimes in the 12-17ms range. The CPU frametimes were showing lots of Red.

I'm currently on 2.5.6 OB and am very tempted to roll back to 2.5.5 stable.

Any suggestions?

I have a setup with similar performance level and I can say that you have to use very modest graphics settings when using Reverb with 150% SS. Maybe you can post detailed list of your DCS settings so we can take a look.

Edit: Judging your frame times, the occasional stutter could be related to other performance issues that other users have noticed. See this thread: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=265709

Although it is nothing definitive there could be some evidence of AI causing CPU performance issues.

Edited by Unclezam

I guess anyway to get pass through would be grear, but I take it that's not available yet, thanks mate.

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.