2080 Ti - can someone explain why not to go for nVidia Founders Edition?

What is the standard warranty length on one of these cards ?

3 year manufacters warranty I think is pretty standard. I know that's the case for both EVGA and nVidia, might want to check up on Asus/Gigabyte/MSI, but I'd imagine it's similar.

Thanks a lot Headwarp for that detailed response.

I fully understand the fascination with pushing hardware to new limits, and over the years I have played around with GPUs to get the max out of them. However, I began to feel that in practical terms, the effect on actual game performance- as opposed to achieving a new benchmark result - was minimal. A few fps gain at best. So, I gave up with the OC obsession some time ago.

What actual effect would you say you are seeing in DCS, for example, with your current settings?

The effect is honestly minimal gains in minimum framerate and playing in VR im generally stuck with motion reprojection on in DCS anyways. My 980Ti didn't even like +10mhz on the core clock so this is really the first I've ever OC'd a gpu. But, nvidia scanner gave me a good baseline to work with on the core clock and this particular sample played so nicely with my increases that it wouldn't make sense to not take advantage of even the slight boost in performance. It was pretty easy to do.

So if you don't plan to OC and aren't willing to shell out $1350 for higher stock clocks, the FE models should be right up there with the competition this generation. EVGA's manufacturer's warranty is slightly better than nvidia's imo, depending on if you buy from a retailer that offers a return period for refund. EVGA will send out a brand new OEM card if there's a fault within the first 30 days of ownership, afterwhich they might send out a refurb instead. Nvidia doesn't even offer the first 30 days afaict before stating you might get a refurb. So, if your retailer doesn't offer a good return policy or has a restocking fee that's a consideration. EVGA also gives the option purchase an extended warranty for an additional 2 years, or 7 years on top of the original 3 year warranty. And you have 90 days from the original purchase date to decide whether you want to purchase said extended warranty.

So with the FE at $1199, and the XC Ultra @ $1250, it kind of just boils down to whether or not the peace of mind of 24 hour tech support and a solid RMA policy is worth the extra $50 imo. I can't speak for how long an nvidia rma might take vs EVGA. But I generally buy EVGA with confidence. Asus, i've read some horror stories about rma experiences, but no personal experience, as my asus motherboards generally just tend to work. Can't speak for MSI or Gigabyte either, but it's probably pretty easy to look up their warranty terms.

In the long run though, you hope you never have to use the warranty at all. So whatever you get I wish you good luck. You should have the info you need to make a choice if you're determined to get a new gpu. :)

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Asus Strix Cards have also 3 years, I had my old 980GTX in RMA...and it took considerably longer than 1.5 weeks, like 6 weeks !!!!

I think EVGA is a good choice for videocards. Their reputation doesnt come from hot air but solid customer service from what I have read. Asus differentiates between business and private/home products. If you own a private/home device, there is no QuickRMA, it's w e e k s ... I better stop now.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Asus Strix Cards have also 3 years, I had my old 980GTX in RMA...and it took considerably longer than 1.5 weeks, like 6 weeks !!!!

I think EVGA is a good choice for videocards. Their reputation doesnt come from hot air but solid customer service from what I have read. Asus differentiates between business and private/home products. If you own a private/home device, there is no QuickRMA, it's w e e k s ... I better stop now.

Curious, why did you chose Asus for your current card? 6 weeks for an RMA would probably have put me off.

I owned the current card already when the "old" Poseidon went dead on the fan controller.

I think I'd pick an EVGA if I had to buy now.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I owned the current card already when the "old" Poseidon went dead on the fan controller.

I think I'd pick an EVGA if I had to buy now.

Pretty happy with my EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra so far.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

As a side note here, why is the UK so far behind? I mean, the FTW3 isn’t scheduled to be released here till 15 December.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Brexit ?

Brexit ?

;)

Don't even start me on that!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

2080ti founders edition has ram issue, lots of these card are dying as we speak :>

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

Don, where did you buy your FTW3? Despite what I said about the UK not getting it till mid-December, I can’t even see it for sale in the few US sites I looked at!

Some cards are dying, and most of them seems to be the FE edition. Since most of the cards out there right now use the same reference boards, my guess is that there might be cooling issues with some FE cards. AIB cards typically have huge heat sinks and better cooling and might be a little safer to buy although there are also reports of dead AIB cards as well. Mine is working well so far, so I'm not planning OC it too much (+105 MHz) since I don't want a dead card.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

There are issues reported but as far as I can see no specific fault has been identified and there is a lot of conjecture..

I suspect a lot more FE cards have been sold in the early period compared to 3rd party so simple maths dictates there will be more FE issue reports.

A lot of videos and articles are created to be sensational and often with commercial interest for the number of views. There is little specifics within. The same applies to many forum posts on the subject.

I have a 2080 ti FE card. I see no cooling or any other issues. With DCS it is running sweet, cool and quieter than my GTX 980ti STRIX OC which it replaced. I run it with a decent OC of +150 MHz as suggested by MSI AB / NVidea SCAN function without increasing the +Voltage and a memory OC of +500 MHz

I use 4k & VR(Rift) both modes with the same settings - all max'ed bar MSAA which is off and smoke which is minimal. For VR a PD of 2.5. Mostly I fly helo's NOE so clutter/grass, trees and preload are 100%. Any FPS below should be seen in this context, there is a big difference in FPS between helo low and high altitudes especially urban.

In 4K the GPU is 99% max'ed by i7-6700k (WC) OC at 4.5GHz with DCS FPS for the most part 100 - 150+. In VR (Rift) the GPU is obviously not fed that well by the CPU but DCS FPS displayed does not fall below the locked 45.

I'll not move on my GTX 980ti STRIX for a little while none the less.

SIGBLOCK.png

Don, where did you buy your FTW3? Despite what I said about the UK not getting it till mid-December, I can’t even see it for sale in the few US sites I looked at!

Back early on EVGA offered Pre-Orders on them.

I got in on pre-ordering this one.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|