JTAC "abort abort" message on MAV launch

sirrah

Most of the times all goes well but...

This happened to me several times now. JTAC talks me to my target without any problem, then, the second I fire my AGM-65 JTAC calls out "abort abort abort" (followed by something as: "do not engage").

It seems JTAC also stops laser as the missle doesn't hit anything.

Any idea why this would happen?

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

What type of attack control is in place?

Maybe you failed to make an "IP Inbound" call, failed to ID your target correctly, or something else where you were not actually Cleared Hot?

That's what generally makes a JTAC or FAC(A) call an abort.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

What type of attack control is in place?

Maybe you failed to make an "IP Inbound" call, failed to ID your target correctly, or something else where you were not actually Cleared Hot?

That's what generally makes a JTAC or FAC(A) call an abort.

I did all those things but when thinking it over I think it happens on my second target run. So full story:

I checked in, followed all steps, destroyed first target and then I gave the "shift" command to JTAC (as I asumed this meant: move on and lase the next target). Also JTAC then indeed seems to be lasing the next target and the MAV is locked, but then, upon firing, it calls out "abort"

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Airborne or ground JTAC ?

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Airborne or ground JTAC ?

Airborne (in editor set to immortal, invisable and at altitude ~3000)

System specs:

If the JTAC called for LMAVs, the odds are he also specified type 2 control. Type 2 is used when the JTAC can't see the target or can't see the attacking aircraft, such as when there's a standoff weapon in play.

The JTAC's job is not just to provide targeting info, but also to deconflict the airspace in the target area, so he needs to know where the players are, even when he can't see them. The IP INBOUND call isn't optional, even on subsequent runs. Neither is the IN call. You're telling the JTAC where you are in case he can't see you (which is likely in the case of an LMAV).

Thinking of it another way, the JTAC will give the CAS aircraft an IP that's about 60 seconds of flight beyond weapons release on the target position on a specified bearing from the target. (In DCS, the JTAC doesn't do this, so you can ballpark it...either way, you're giving JTAC a 60 second head's up for weapons release when you call IP INBOUND.)

You also need to make the IN call, which tells the JTAC that you're ready in all respects (except maybe range) for weapon release.

In short: Unless you're shooting multiple missiles on a single run in, you need to reset the IP (go back out beyond the IP and establish yourself inbound before calling IP INBOUND), and go through the whole engagement process again.

Very Respectfully,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

London

"In my private manual I firmly believed the only time there was too much fuel aboard any aircraft was if it was fire." --Ernest K. Gann

That might explain it indeed. Thanks Yoda

System specs:

Yep, thats where I was going Yoda, good post.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

If the JTAC called for LMAVs, the odds are he also specified type 2 control. Type 2 is used when the JTAC can't see the target or can't see the attacking aircraft, such as when there's a standoff weapon in play.

The JTAC's job is not just to provide targeting info, but also to deconflict the airspace in the target area, so he needs to know where the players are, even when he can't see them. The IP INBOUND call isn't optional, even on subsequent runs. Neither is the IN call. You're telling the JTAC where you are in case he can't see you (which is likely in the case of an LMAV).

Thinking of it another way, the JTAC will give the CAS aircraft an IP that's about 60 seconds of flight beyond weapons release on the target position on a specified bearing from the target. (In DCS, the JTAC doesn't do this, so you can ballpark it...either way, you're giving JTAC a 60 second head's up for weapons release when you call IP INBOUND.)

You also need to make the IN call, which tells the JTAC that you're ready in all respects (except maybe range) for weapon release.

In short: Unless you're shooting multiple missiles on a single run in, you need to reset the IP (go back out beyond the IP and establish yourself inbound before calling IP INBOUND), and go through the whole engagement process again.

This, exactly.

You need to get a “cleared hot” call from the JTAC every time you release a weapon (except for Type 3 control, where you get a cleared to engage call and a time period in which to conduct as many reattacks as you need)

As an anecdote, when we do our helo gunnery under CAS rules (as opposed to CCA), we have to get cleared hot for each individual door gun - meaning each side needs his own cleared hot, which is very restricting for some of our turning patterns...

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2