Desperately seeking fps for BS2

BaD CrC

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did get some unexplained improvement from bs1.01 to bs1.02, so why not something similar for bs1.1.1.2:huh:

"Unexplained" in the sense of "the entire sound engine ripped out and replaced by a new one in a separate thread, reducing the workload of the main thread"? ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Thanks for your help PeterP.

I will stick with your configuration from now. It's not like I doubled my fps, but:

- got an extra 2 to 3 fps

- can now turn on HDR without seeing any drop

- don't need to run the 'phantom monitor fix' anymore

Nice!

But you should change to the newest SoftTH version asap.

It is optimized especially for DCS now. - you will probably have a little better FPS - but more important: a better compatibility and more stable system:

This is hopefully fixed with SoftTH v2.08 available here.

Along with the crash fix, it can also improve performance a bit and make the fps smoother overall (I re-wrote the indexbuffer manage-emulation code and added proper emulation for vertexbuffers as well - it now should behave similar to a "non-SoftTH" device). Illustrated here:

softth_fps.jpg

(v2.07 above, v2.08 below. But your mileage may vary wink.gif)

I noticed something as I watched your very nice video:

...you have a stretched NVG masking...

now, that you are using my settings it should be a little less - but it will still be stretched similar like this:

Before:

SoftTH_dcsexe_2011_12_30_12_02_36_28.jpg

After:SoftTH_dcsexe_2011_12_30_11_55_37_17.jpg

To fix this please put the attached focus.png (especially made for your setup) into DCS Black Shark 2BazarEffectsPostMotionEffectNightVisionGoogle

focus.png

edit:

And donate something to Kegetys if you like SoftTH!

After reading all of this I will wait for the next patch that fix the frame rate issue.

lol... me too. Too much work!

Sorry guys - if taking the approximate 1 hour to optimize the configuration of your system properly is to much for you (all info how-to is in this thread) - you will have to wait for something that may never happen. ;)

Edited by PeterP

Hey guys... I don't have second monitor. I can't use laptop to show Shkval because you can't plug in cable from main computer to laptop - it won't show picture. Also there is no way to transfer picture via LAN (AIEST doesn't work). So I think about just making Shkval window in the game, such like this (long time ago in BS1):

screenshot002zg.jpg

But to make this Shkval visible only when I want it (now it is persistent), example by pressing key.I guess it is possible but don't know how to crunch it yet :(

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Tried a lot things to enable exactly this "idea" - to make it short: I didn't found a solution to switch it on/off by hitting just a key while in F1 view. -

The best solution is to edit the "hud only view" to your liking and have a button mapped to "Alt+F1".

here is a "How to" :http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=82684

Edit: and maybe ask further questions in exactly this linked thread - as I think it's not really fitting in this thread ;).

Edited by PeterP

Hmm thx, but unfortunately Alt-F1 will not work if external views are not enabled. But it seems I don't have choice either, so I configure it.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Dont know if its been mentioned before but when I have radio switch set to ground control I can still hear AI and my wingman

++ Really impressed by the improvement over BS1

Nice job ED well worth the money

~S~

Edited by SAM77

Intel i5 7600K @ 4.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4 @ 3200MHz | MSI RTX 4060 Gaming X 8G | WD Black NVMe 2TB | Sound Blaster Audigy RX | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | Corsair H80i v2 | Corsair RM750x | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Flight Pack | TrackIR 5 | Windows 10 Home 64-bit |

Sig1.png

Dont know if its been mentioned before but when I have radio switch set to ground control I can still hear AI and my wingman

++ Really impressed by the improvement over BS1

Nice job ED well worth the money

~S~

Sorry for the late response...

First I have to ask something:

Is this a answer or a question..?! - ...

...I don't get your point what this have to do with the topic ... - sorry I have drunk a little - so the fault could be on my side ... but I have the slight guess you did this too while posting.

:music_whistling:

Edited by PeterP

Hi PeterP,

Thanks for the update. I had indeed several CTDs with the previous SoftTH version when flying with my squad. It was quite frustrating after all the good work you have done. Hope this new version will fix the crashes.

I always thought the NVG was supposed to look like this. lol. Thanks for the file.

Finally thanks for watching my video!

• 2 months later...
Hi everyone,

I am running a 5100x1080 multiscreen configuration with fresh BS2 install on i7@3.81Ghz, 6Gb RAM, ATI 6950 2gb VRAM for the main display and one 5850 1Gb for Helios, with Cat 11.11. Obviously, I am running in window mode (because of the multiscreen).

Whatever the graphics settings, from LOW to HIGH, I consistently run BS2 between 20 and 24 fps single player and in multiplayer, it drops down to between 10 to 18 fps, barely playable. No matter what my settings are, the fps gain is barely above 2 to 3 fps between LOW and HIGH settings. Even with all trees off (tree visibility to zero and no grass), almost no difference.

I tried all the tweaks I could find on the forum:

- MSAA OFF

- No cockpit shadow

- cockpit rendering of SHKVAL and ABRIS off

- Shadowless trees

- Modified EDM directory to remove big trees group in high settings

- Alt tabbing

- All filterings controlled by the application in CCC

What really depress me is the lack of improvement no matter the settings. I don't understand why. I am only asking for 30fps in multi. :helpsmilie:

I run just a single video monitor. I do get hesitation hiccups in intense battles on occasion.

What I did to my new Alienware rig was tweak my Nvidia card, trial and error, within its "Manage 3D Settings" and I use the DCS: Black Shark pre-configured game settings that is within the listings they have both for Black Shark and Warthog. I have the latest drivers they had at the time, 2 months ago, I updated myself on the Intel/GeForce nVidia site.

I have TrackIR5 but it is not hooked up, yet for this sim. TIR5 will take a big fps hit. Also, I bought a 3D monitor ($500) and the powered 3D glasses that I have not used with this sim, yet, either. My 3D monitor setup has to be set to run at 120 fps. My 3D monitor at its current state is set at 59 fps but / and I get 60 fps a good chunk of the time, but I turn down a lot of the non-essential stuff in game in presets within the game and within the nVidia card's nVidia Control Panel. I read somewhere that a LCD monitor is not suppose to be set higher that 60fps, except if using a 3D setup.

My Alienware is a second generation i7 cpu that runs at 3.4 ghz but will throttle up to 3.9ghz as needed on demand. It is water cooled and very well ventilated. I have a 2 card RAID0 setup and it is very well cooled in a mini-ATX setup. When the GTX580 card gets cheaper I will swap out my dual SLI GeForce cards for just one of those. My current rig runs faster than my homebuilt rig using the GTX 260 on a 17-920 cpu I built 2 years ago. I do kick myself for not just building me another homebuilt rig.

Because of my current DSL's slow Internet speed, I play mostly off-line, but not always and I only use servers that run 180 fps or less in Multiplayer. Come September I will try my local RoadRunner cable Turbo which runs at around 30 megs per second download speed. I usually stay up wee early morning hours, there is nobody but me on and up in my area except the roving cops, drunks, and druggies. The USA Federal Trade Commission caps the downlaod speeds in the States. Some guys overseas run at 100 gigs download speed---how to compete online with that?

These 2 DCS sims are the only really true 64-bit games I play and it hardly touches my 845 watt psu. I put a clamp ammeter on it to checkout my amp/wattage usage. It will be necessary in the future to keep buying newer/faster/better to keep up with DCS.

I am not a big Dell fan, but they have their advantages, plus I am learning to speak Central American Spanish---it's not that bad, some of those people at Alienware speak English rather well. Dell documents their stuff online very well, as readable, downloadable stuff I can do solo. This is my 2nd Dell in 8 years. Surprising to me, they encourage me to do my own experimenting with newer hardware even when I took out the extended warranties (which I doubt I will ever use). I mod my own stuff, I always figure it out, eventually, with a little help from my forum friends. I have never yet had my PCs to a shop since 1985 when I started this madness. But Dell nickel-dimes oneself to the extreme. I get parts from NewEgg, Best Buy and Staples. Dell is not all propriety as much as they would like people to believe.

I run at 1024 but not every frame. I also run at high visible range. Everything else is turned down or off. If I go online and cannot look-out, why do I need my engines' blurr visual effect turned on? I play in full sim mode and try not to baby myself too much with the crutches.

This is a good thread---a keeper. Looks like I will try some more tweaking.

Edited by ErichVon

• 1 month later...

I stopped playing this game a while ago, because no matter what i did, the FPS dropped below playable in battle.

I have tried pretty much everything suggested in this forum, and elsewhere like switching off EIST, hyperthreading, turning down options, setting maxfps, fiddling with nvidia inspector, editing the config.lua and so on and so on.

I run a i7 2600k @ constant 4,6Ghz with no downclocking (no EIST)- i've tried 5ghz with not much improvement, GTX 590 3gb, 8g 1600mhz CL9 ram. Most probable bottleneck is my hdd, which is 1 tb samsung f3 spinpoint 7200rpm. I should buy i SDD, but i don't think it will give me +20 fps.

I run on single 1920x1080 monitor and on low medium setup in-game.

i test all my tweaks with attached track. Please try it and let me know of your results. The worst fps drops are at the end of the track, so watch it trough - it's not that long. My frames drops somwhere between 14-16 fp

FPS.trk

Core i7-2600K @ 4.7Ghz, Asus GTX 980 strix 4Gb VRAM, 16Gb DDR3 1600Mhz, Samsung 1 TB SSD, Samsung spinpoint F3 HDD, MB P8P67 PRO rev 3.1.

I stopped playing this game a while ago, because no matter what i did, the FPS dropped below playable in battle.

I have tried pretty much everything suggested in this forum, and elsewhere like switching off EIST, hyperthreading, turning down options, setting maxfps, fiddling with nvidia inspector, editing the config.lua and so on and so on.

I run a i7 2600k @ constant 4,6Ghz with no downclocking (no EIST)- i've tried 5ghz with not much improvement, GTX 590 3gb, 8g 1600mhz CL9 ram. Most probable bottleneck is my hdd, which is 1 tb samsung f3 spinpoint 7200rpm. I should buy i SDD, but i don't think it will give me +20 fps.

i test all my tweaks with attached track. Please try it and let me know of your results. The worst fps drops are at the end of the track, so watch it trough - it's not that long. My frames drops somwhere between 14-16 fp

I found I had to tweak the graphics.cfg file to get it playable on my system. You can see what I wrote in this forum post.

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

I will try to watch this tonight. But there's no way you should struggle with BS 2 as your specs are over mine and I have silky smooth gameplay with everythign on high. . BS 2 is still sitting on my 7200 rpm drive until DCS: World means I can fit it all on my SSD.

Lyndiman

AMD Ryzen 3600 / RTX 2070 Super / 32G Ram / Win10 / TrackIR 5 Pro / Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

make sure in your bios CPU advanced settings the Hyperthreading is off.

also is your getting low FPS in the BS2, try turning the ground clutter all off.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

I wouldn't bother buying an i7 just to turn off hyperthreading just for the odd game that doesn't use multi cores.

Lyndiman

AMD Ryzen 3600 / RTX 2070 Super / 32G Ram / Win10 / TrackIR 5 Pro / Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Hi everyone,

I am running a 5100x1080 multiscreen configuration with fresh BS2 install on i7@3.81Ghz, 6Gb RAM, ATI 6950 2gb VRAM for the main display and one 5850 1Gb for Helios, with Cat 11.11. Obviously, I am running in window mode (because of the multiscreen).

Whatever the graphics settings, from LOW to HIGH, I consistently run BS2 between 20 and 24 fps single player and in multiplayer, it drops down to between 10 to 18 fps, barely playable. No matter what my settings are, the fps gain is barely above 2 to 3 fps between LOW and HIGH settings. Even with all trees off (tree visibility to zero and no grass), almost no difference.

I tried all the tweaks I could find on the forum:

- MSAA OFF

- No cockpit shadow

- cockpit rendering of SHKVAL and ABRIS off

- Shadowless trees

- Modified EDM directory to remove big trees group in high settings

- Alt tabbing

- All filterings controlled by the application in CCC

What really depress me is the lack of improvement no matter the settings. I don't understand why. I am only asking for 30fps in multi. :helpsmilie:

I use Win 7 Pro, 64-bit.

I do not use my TrackIR5, it slows it down. If you do, also set the Priority for it to High. It will improve. Found this info to the TrackIR forums.

Try going to Task Manager, Win 7, 64-bit.

Set priority for all DCS that shows up, to HIGH.

Leave Task Manager up, but minimize it.

I use the NVIDIA Control Manager set for DCS: Black Shark. I use the latest drivers. I went through each setting and customized it for High Performance wherever possible. That was a bit painful learning how to do that teaching myself trial and error. 2 OEM GT-545 in SLI, one monitor, 1TB, 2-500 GB hard drives in a RAID 0 setup.

I sometimes get 60, usually between 30 and 40's. I run Medium settings except for Visibility. I turned a lot of the unnecessary stuff off.

I am overclocked to 3.9, 2nd generation Intel i7 cpu. Water cooled Alienware Aurora.

Edited by ErichVon

make sure in your bios CPU advanced settings the Hyperthreading is off.

also is your getting low FPS in the BS2, try turning the ground clutter all off.

I've have all the recommended settings turned off in my BIOS, and the clutter is zero. Tree distance is somewhere 5000m, but it doesn't seem to have that much affect.

wouldn't bother buying an i7 just to turn off hyperthreading just for the odd game that doesn't use multi cores.

Yeah, thats why i don't bother playing BS2 anymore until they patch it up. Too much hassle with all the Bios, nvidia, ingame, *.lua files, config settings and it wont even bring up the fps where they should be.

Core i7-2600K @ 4.7Ghz, Asus GTX 980 strix 4Gb VRAM, 16Gb DDR3 1600Mhz, Samsung 1 TB SSD, Samsung spinpoint F3 HDD, MB P8P67 PRO rev 3.1.

I've have all the recommended settings turned off in my BIOS, and the clutter is zero. Tree distance is somewhere 5000m, but it doesn't seem to have that much affect.

Yeah, thats why i don't bother playing BS2 anymore until they patch it up. Too much hassle with all the Bios, nvidia, ingame, *.lua files, config settings and it wont even bring up the fps where they should be.

I use ALL my cores turned on without issues.

My CPU is a i7-2600 (8MB cache) runs stock speed at 3.4GHz that will overclock to 3.9GHz as needed. Water cooled.

Everybody's systems are different. Your mileage may vary.

Alienware for a fee will fine tune a single game. My understanding is they will not charge you if they cannot improve on what you have. I do not know if they are specific to just Alienware products. I have not used this service, yet.

I did turn something off in BIOS and disabled "EIST Intel Speed Step" as ED suggested in one of the forum Sticky(s) for BS2 this being on, supposedly causes stutter issues in BS2. It still stutters sometimes. I do not have the latest BIOS upgrades but what came with my December 2011 Alienware Aurora.

the game only uses 2 cores, that's just a fact.

I don't care. I don't strip down my processes so I figure the more the merrier, programs are going to run in the background.

I am having no issues, I run great.

Edited by ErichVon
  • Like 1

Yep I get about 14-16 FPS near the end there. That's just too much happening at once on the AI side of things I think? If there aren't that many AI units then perhaps there's something else going on.

Lyndiman

don't know what you guys are doing but I get 25 to 45fps on that one, with my set up. and 2 monitors USB running.

ah check that now i'm getting 14 to 24 highest. 301.34 NVIDIA beta drivers

:pilotfly:

Edited by Mastiff

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||