Desperately seeking fps for BS2

BaD CrC

Hi everyone,

I am running a 5100x1080 multiscreen configuration with fresh BS2 install on i7@3.81Ghz, 6Gb RAM, ATI 6950 2gb VRAM for the main display and one 5850 1Gb for Helios, with Cat 11.11. Obviously, I am running in window mode (because of the multiscreen).

Whatever the graphics settings, from LOW to HIGH, I consistently run BS2 between 20 and 24 fps single player and in multiplayer, it drops down to between 10 to 18 fps, barely playable. No matter what my settings are, the fps gain is barely above 2 to 3 fps between LOW and HIGH settings. Even with all trees off (tree visibility to zero and no grass), almost no difference.

I tried all the tweaks I could find on the forum:

- MSAA OFF

- No cockpit shadow

- cockpit rendering of SHKVAL and ABRIS off

- Shadowless trees

- Modified EDM directory to remove big trees group in high settings

- Alt tabbing

- All filterings controlled by the application in CCC

What really depress me is the lack of improvement no matter the settings. I don't understand why. I am only asking for 30fps in multi. :helpsmilie:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Search for "MaxFPS", this gave me most of my FPS back.

I just don't remember the thread where I found it. May also have been over at A10-C.

/EDIT

Here you go:

http://www.159thgar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=58137&sid=9966f7914da1c6c21f6da55b621a5857#p58137

and that's the post, I took it from:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=82229&highlight=159thgar

Edited by Luigi Gorgonzola
added links

TBH - no clue :D I don't know why it is, but decreasing the value to 60 gave me ~ 10 FPS for my dual 5770 setup (1920x1200, single monitor). However, decereasing the value even further didn't yield any visible improvement.

My thought was "if this gives me 10 FPS, it should give him 10 at least (considering the faster GPU)".

I dumbly guess that this parameter might keep the engine from "queueing" more frames ahead than the GPU is capable of. Saw this in other (earlier) games...

~S~ Gentleman.

Pleas note that the thread reference to the 159th forums is full of pointers to get FPS up.

So don't focus on just the MAXFPS setting.

Couple things;

*Trees have a huge impact on frame rates especially for BS2 cause your flying lower

*HDR is for most users a FPS hit, set it to off to start whit

*Having set MSAA/TSAA settings in both game and graphics drivers causes a conflict. Make sure to set the drivers to "application specified" wherever possible. Then set MSAA in game to anything below 8 (you won't see the difference whit anything higher then that)

*Set display setting to either 256, 512, 1024 NOT EVERY FRAME

*Water setting can have a high impact on FPS as well, setting it lower isn't necessarily better though.

*If your now happy whit your FPS and your average is above 30 you can now set MAXfps to 30 or about 2 to 4 fps lower then your average.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

Welcome to the club BaD CrC; I made a similar comment in another post. Since I'm a noob to the sim and still have lots of training to do, I've actually requested a key for BS1 since it supposedly gets much better frame rates. I've tried the tips 159th Falcon has suggested and again there seems to be no big difference between different graphics settings. (I have been keeping my viewing distances on the low end, however.) I'm not even seeing a difference in frame rates between windowed and full monitor modes.

I'm hoping the ED can figure out where the serious bottlenecks are and optimize the game in the near future. Does anybody know if ED is making this problem a priority?

I'm hoping the ED can figure out where the serious bottlenecks are and optimize the game in the near future. Does anybody know if ED is making this problem a priority?

Well, there always looking to improve performance. That's for granted.

But given the zillion of possibility's when it comes to computer configurations,

there will always be people were it runs very good, or very bad.

The majority is where it should be though, somewhere in the middle.

Am kinda blown away by the fact none of the changes i suggested made a noticeable difference on FPS, what kind of system are you using?

~S~

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

Hi guys,

I think that some graphical features needs optimalisation badly. Some scenes are hitting my fps really hard for example:

Screen_111109_151206.jpg

Original: http://img3.rajce.idnes.cz/d0301/5/5680/5680794_6e3ca333bea676e6193d34a901dff0f6/images/Screen_111109_151206.jpg

45 FPS

Screen_111109_151212.jpg

Original: http://img3.rajce.idnes.cz/d0301/5/5680/5680794_6e3ca333bea676e6193d34a901dff0f6/images/Screen_111109_151212.jpg

35 FPS

These two screens are almost the same, but the fps drop is about 20%! And in cockpit I'm getting average 20 fps, sometimes less... Changing the graphic options doesn't take effect. The difference between High and Low is 2-3 fps (10%)

My rig: Phenom II x4 955 BE, 4GB ram, Ati Asus 4870 512MB, everything @ stock, W7 x64

Edited by Suchacz

Hi everyone,

I am running a 5100x1080 multiscreen configuration with fresh BS2 install on i7@3.81Ghz, 6Gb RAM, ATI 6950 2gb VRAM for the main display and one 5850 1Gb for Helios, with Cat 11.11. Obviously, I am running in window mode (because of the multiscreen).

Whatever the graphics settings, from LOW to HIGH, I consistently run BS2 between 20 and 24 fps single player and in multiplayer, it drops down to between 10 to 18 fps, barely playable. No matter what my settings are, the fps gain is barely above 2 to 3 fps between LOW and HIGH settings. Even with all trees off (tree visibility to zero and no grass), almost no difference.

I tried all the tweaks I could find on the forum:

- MSAA OFF

- No cockpit shadow

- cockpit rendering of SHKVAL and ABRIS off

- Shadowless trees

- Modified EDM directory to remove big trees group in high settings

- Alt tabbing

- All filterings controlled by the application in CCC

What really depress me is the lack of improvement no matter the settings. I don't understand why. I am only asking for 30fps in multi. :helpsmilie:

turning off lights will gain considerble frame rates , this is only noticeable during taxing landing at airbases with heavy traffic pressence though.

options.LUA file is now located new folder location. this will be named DCS BS2 i guess.

C:\Users\....\Saved Games\DCS Warthog\Config

look for lights = default is 2,.... setting it to one will disable all landing light beams ingame, which imo are super taxing atm in terms of fps.

few other tweaks within this file as well u can try.

Edited by diveplane

Mr. Bad CrC has way better machine than me, but we are getting very similar fps on same settings and using same tweaks . That's strange. There is some bottleneck that should be removed...

Thanks guys for all the comments.

Just finished a 2 hours mission with 2 of my squad mate and I got a consistent 20 to 30 fps around Tbilissi countryside, which was actually fine to fly with. Guess my bad initial experience flying BS2 multi came from a 4 A10C + 4 Ka50 flying all together like crazy above the airport and trying to lock each other.

My exact same configuration running BS1 never exceeded 30 fps anyway, but with HIGH graphics. Guess I should expect something similar with BS2 but in MEDIUM graphics.

I'll maybe try to run my triple screen to a lower resolution than 3840x1024. Maybe 3 screens in 1024x768 each and see if the graphics are not too ugly.

turning off lights will gain considerble frame rates , this is only noticeable during taxing landing at airbases with heavy traffic pressence though.

options.LUA file is now located new folder location. this will be named DCS BS2 i guess.

C:\Users\....\Saved Games\DCS Warthog\Config

look for lights = default is 2,.... setting it to one will disable all landing light beams ingame, which imo are super taxing atm in terms of fps.

few other tweaks within this file as well u can try.

Hey, that's very good to know diveplane. Indeed the initial multiplayer I was talking about was at night time and everybody got their lights on and landing lights beaming each other.

I have been looking at updating my setup.. (CPU,mobo,ram) the only reason is my poor performance is BS2. All my other games run ultra detail no probs..

given your experiences I'm thinking its a waste of time until ED do some work on the engine to get some good optimsation happening rather then throwing hardware to solve it. Shame really, it could be such an awesome experience. I'm just sick of having to play it on LOW (looking like a 90's era game) with still less then 30fps at best.

It would be nice to have a standard track that can be used as a benchmark. That way you can truely compare your performance to others in the actual game. There seems to be huge variations in what FPS people can run this game at, some asking how to get more GFX detail vs more FPS.. its very strange.

Edited by spikenet

Also, there's a lot of people there flying multiscreen so even with a standard track to play, it might be like comparing apple and oranges, although a good start to bench your hardware.

DCS code relies heavily on CPU and it seems like the GPU is barely stressed when running their sim which is a pity (except VRAM where the 2Gb are almost fully used and cause my Aero to switch off). But one should not expect too much improvement I guess from the next patches since it might involve massive code change to transfert some code to the GPU.

Hi BaD CrC,

Don't know if you already looked into SoftTH : SoftTH NEWS

I mentioned it earlier in your setup-thread.

The good thing is that everything that you drag on a secondary monitor (like Helios) will stay on top even if you have running DCS in full-screen with version 2.07.

This can give you 10-20 % more FPS than windowed and in some occasions even more.

I would be really happy to help you out with your (obviously complex) configuration.

The first step would be that you make a similar drawing like this:

picture.php?albumid=497&pictureid=3440

That I see your overall desktop layout and which monitor is showing what and on which GPU it is connected.

Than I would be able to write a softth-config that will fit your needs and is optimised for your system.

Edited by PeterP

The good thing is that everything that you drag on a secondary monitor (like Helios) will stay on top even if you have running DCS in full-screen with version 2.07.

This can give you 10-20 % more FPS than windowed and in some occasions even more.

very interesting. 10-20% is a fair increase, might have to look into this.

thanks.

Hi PeterP.

I am indeed poorly educated with SoftTH, so maybe my understanding of this soft is wrong.

I am using a TH2G for the main display. But I am having a kinda complex display settings for my pit. I am not sure Soft TH can do something for me in this case, and all my GC outputs are used.

attachment.php?attachmentid=59548&stc=1&d=1322585742

Configperso.jpg.c635a6277e9c7fd140a2b4588b9731c4.jpg

Looks promising- I also utilise also a TH2Go with three other Monitors through SoftTH.

The drawing you have made is sufficient for me to see what's happening ,

but

could you be so kind and Post a screen shot of the whole Desktop while DCS+Helios is running (simply press "print-screen" and paste it in MS-Paint) - so I get everything you have on the monitors down to a single pixel.

Please also post/send me a DxDiag - so I know your USB/GPU architecture.

Edited by PeterP

ok I'm going to try out softTH for BS2

my setup is a simple 2 monitors stacked using the BS2 helios profile / lua in my sig.

1980x1200 (main camera)

1980x1080 (Helios, shkval, abris, pvi800, uv26, ekran)

My question is, how do I do this in fullscreen keeping the camera on the top screen and the exports on the bottom?

I have not actually tried softth yet, but have read the docs and would like to have it straight in my head before I try it.

thanks

first pic there are 255 objects

second 345 objects

the more there are object the more you get low fps

because objects are cpu limited

to circumvent that the game has to be made with dx11 multithread rendering then the more you have core the more you can have object

geometric intanciating is another solution for same model cost little to cpu

objetc in every game engine are problem even if they have low vertex

VEAF 735th - www.veaf.org - Formateur Ka50

Escadrille Francophone évoluant sur DCS.

En savoir plus : http://www.veaf.org/fr/735-escadrille-virtuelle-dcs-fancaise

Nous rejoindre : http://www.veaf.org/fr/nous-rejoindre

@spikenet

yesterday I helped already Bignewy with a very similar set-up and he was able to get a 10-20% boost :

And to keep it easy for me - without the need to write things again and again I will quote the PersonalMessage conversation we had here.

Keep in mind that he is using FacetrackNoIR instead of a TrackIR - this could be a big burden for the cpu sometimes - so I would expect more FPS with with TrackIR.

Please follow the same advises:

Hi Peter

sorry to bother you, I run a two monitor setup with my helios profile on my bottom screen and my top screen as my hud.

Would I benefit from using soft th ? it seems to be for triple head config's, so would my dual screen setup work as well ?

http://forums.eagle.ru/picture.php?albumid=580&pictureid=3950

thank you

regards

bignewy

Hi, no bothering at all...

It really depends on how much you are suffering from "too low" fps - and how you define "low" wink.gif

Anyway - I saw a 10-20% (sometimes even more) increase in FPS when using SofTH and Full screen against windowed mode.

The Previous version (1.0 and up) was only for TH-setups.

With Softth 2.0 (and up) cpu are able to attach as much/as less monitors you want. - did you missed this thread?:SoftTH NEWS

and BTW:

Is the lower monitor a Touchscreen? -ever considered to do something like this?:http://www.veoh.com/watch/v1627326198keXc3X?h1=Black+Shark+Techdemo-+Head+Tracking+and+Touchscreen

anyway- back to SoftTH:

The Trick is to set "keepComposition=1" in Softth - So windows is still able to show additional programs (like helios) on the secondary screens.

That's all!

Please browse through the links you find in the "Softth News" thread to learn more about setting it up. - when having too many problems - please post your request in the most fitting "Some educational threads about SoftTH :" with all relevant info and I will come back to you.

Thanks !

I got Soft TH working and managed to gain about 5fps :) , also tried the other setup using my two screens, this will work well, however as I am using facetracknoir it is a little more difficult as it is not as good as trackir. so i will carry on using my helios profile until I can afford Trackir.

thanks for your help

smile.gif