** Let There Be Thrust! F-14 Development Update **

Cobra847

The staggering degree of attention to details are going to make this module a benchmark standard to set others by :thumbup:

No kidding. I have the feeling the F14 will be superior to the F18 in DCS, not just in real life ;)

The staggering degree of attention to details are going to make this module a benchmark standard to set others by :thumbup:

Indeed! I love it! :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Setup a mission and fly agsinst some F14s, those Pheonix missiles are deadly.

54's as modeled now are a bit overpowered. A bit more when down low actually.

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Are the first and last pics in the original post in-game shots?

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Thanks for sharing that information with us HB. We are all eager to master this bird. You've built an earned trust in the quality of your work. It's going to be awesome to fly the F-14.

"It's amazing, even at the Formula 1 level how many drivers still think the brakes are for slowing the car down."

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group 1 | Discord

Let there be a release date! :D

Great update! One thing though. Until now I was pretty sure the inlet ramps had to be switched to Auto for cat launches. This is what I found:

Now you're telling me they should be in stow mode? That's exactly what can cause a compressor stall.

Ramps should be mechanically restrained in stowed position below 0.35M even in AUTO mode, why bother fiddling with switches and not leaving it in AUTO for the entire flight?

We've been saying that for 6 months.

Well one day we will be right. ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Just mind blowing update. Adore how much detail is going into this aircraft. Multicrew in this is going to be amazing

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

That’s it?

????

Can not wait to get my hands on this airplane. Well done Heatblur!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Cobra847...I have a remark on something I have read:

Cat shots should be done with the AICS ramps in STOW, ensuring the ramps are locked in their stowed position and do not drop unexpectedly!

In the NATOPS Manual it is written:

CAUTION!

� DO NOT takeoff with the INLET RAMPS switches in STOW. Hydraulic power is on and may drive the ramps out of the stow locks during certain servocylinder failure modes causing an engine stall.

Just to make sure,hope you don't mind, I am curious,maybe you are mentioning it will be like this IN -Game,or IRL as well? I have no clue really ,but the NATOPS Manual holds a lot of details,so it seems to me.Or is it like this for land base take-offs only?

For that matter,this seems to be a big project,and It is going to be a very cool addition to this amazing Ed Forums Simulator series,no one should ever forget about the F14,because it was the best air superiority the NAVY ever had.

Cheers.

To see your opponent for who he or she is,is to put your blade in front of their deepest secrets and make them come up front,outward with a defeat or a win.

I thank you for your continuing to update and educate us.

There are 2 categories of fighter pilots: those who have performed, and those who someday will perform, a magnificent defensive break turn toward a bug on the canopy. Robert Shaw

Cobra847...I have a remark on something I have read:

Cat shots should be done with the AICS ramps in STOW, ensuring the ramps are locked in their stowed position and do not drop unexpectedly!

Yeah, that is an error that escaped editing. One of our SMEs told us that heading out with AICS malfunctions was a big no no, though they would sometimes cheat on cross countries so they wouldn't get stranded. They called it "Stow and go". After take-off they would report the ramp issue and continue to their destination.

But otherwise, stow was only for in-flight malfunctions and they were left in auto for cat launches (though there were rare ramp malfunctions on cat shots that resulted in stalls).

-Nick

Very nice.

Interesting how you guys are going to model the failures, I'm actually curious about a nozzle failure in DCS.

If the nozzle gets stuck in a transition from MIL to MAX AB, where the nozzle must open in order to change the nozzle area and also keep the backpressure under the limits, that actually can overheat the engine, is there any word about this? Excessive backpressure could make the temperature between turbines (Normally T5) exceed its limits. is that going to be modeled too?

Also, last time I asked you guys about Ram Drag, and the lack of it in the last update (by Heatblur too). BlackLion gently sent me a message saying it wasn't modeled due to lack of documentation, but you guys actually found some documents about the F-14's inlet efficiency. How's that working for you guys? Not sure if that's a sensitive question but I'm curious :P

Thanks!

Very nice.

Interesting how you guys are going to model the failures, I'm actually curious about a nozzle failure in DCS.

If the nozzle gets stuck in a transition from MIL to MAX AB, where the nozzle must open in order to change the nozzle area and also keep the backpressure under the limits, that actually can overheat the engine, is there any word about this? Excessive backpressure could make the temperature between turbines (Normally T5) exceed its limits. is that going to be modeled too?

Also, last time I asked you guys about Ram Drag, and the lack of it in the last update (by Heatblur too). BlackLion gently sent me a message saying it wasn't modeled due to lack of documentation, but you guys actually found some documents about the F-14's inlet efficiency. How's that working for you guys? Not sure if that's a sensitive question but I'm curious :P

Thanks!

Ram Drag is now modeled.

I believe it was our intent to always model it - but we were still researching the best approximations at the time.

Edited by Cobra847

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Thanks!

Hi Vitor,

We now have very detailed data on ram drag and it is fully implemented. Took longer to find the data than expected, but we managed to find exactly what we needed. :)

-Nick

Good stuff, thanks!

Any word about the first question, however? Is that even a possibility?

Well, it will be a random failure for those with the feature enabled, but all this stuff is quite rare. Battle damage is a more realistic scenario for seeing the effects.

Even the TF30's famous compressor stalls were not that common in practice. Of our 2 F-14A SMEs, both had only 1 stall in their entire career (1400 hours and 2000 hours in the A). And one of them was related to engine that was out of tune (developed excessive TIT at full mil-power) and both stalls spontaneously cleared. So these features won't surface much, but are possible and built into the model.

They will also be trigger-able via the ME and such.

-Nick