Need advice (my setup)

Hi, I have the option to upgrade one thing in my current setup in preparation for dcs world 2.5 and the hornet. It's old, so I don't think I can upgrade the processor, but I was wondering if more RAM or a better video card would make the most difference for DCS.

My setup is : Intel i7-2600 @3.4 Ghz (4 core) | Nvidia GTX 750 Ti | 8GB RAM |

My pc is a Dell XPS 8300 from 2011 which is quite old so like I said I'm pretty sure I can't upgrade the processor but I was wondering what people think I should upgrade.

Currently I run DCS 1.5.8 on medium-high with a stable 40-50fps without mirrors (which reduce me to around 20fps)

Thanks for any info

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

If you had a non dell PC I would say Overclock your CPU in BIOS

You could buy a realy good GPU eg nvidia 1080 or 1080TI and that

will boost things a bit

But to to honest I would start saving up for a new PC if I were you

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

If you had to upgrade, I would go with a GPU as that will give you the biggest boost. But like Rico said, I would start saving your pennies for a ground up build, though 2600 is no slouch... But not in a locked-out dell.

Windows 11 | ASUS B650E-F STRIX | AMD 7800X3D | G.Skill 64Gb DDR5 6200 30-36-36-48 w/ tuned secondary/tertiary | RTX 4090 undervolted curve | MSI MPG A1000G PSU | VKB MCG Gunfighter Ultimate + Rudder Pedals + WH Throttle |  HP Reverb G2

As jvanhoog said, a ram upgrade will be a waste of money. A GPU upgrade is the only logical choice unless you wish to just save all the money toward a complete system upgrade.

A 2600 was a great chip but without the ability to overclock it there is little you can do to prolong it's serviceable life.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

If you had a non dell PC I would say Overclock your CPU in BIOS

You could buy a realy good GPU eg nvidia 1080 or 1080TI and that

will boost things a bit

But to to honest I would start saving up for a new PC if I were you

You can't overclock a non-k chip. Additionally since it's a dell PC i doubt it has the power supply or the cables to power it.

Your best bet is too build one from scratch, you could re-use parts from your existing build.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Director | Team Coordinator

PC Specs:

• Intel I7 8700k 4.7Ghz
  • Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 Motherboard
  • 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz Ram
  • 500GB Samsung Evo 850 SSD

thanks for all the help. Looks like a new graphics card would be the way to go for me

Which one do you plan on getting, make sure that it's compatible with the current PSU that you have installed in your system. You may find that you'll blue screen as there isn't enough power getting to the GPU.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

PC Specs:

• Intel I7 8700k 4.7Ghz

Which one do you plan on getting, make sure that it's compatible with the current PSU that you have installed in your system. You may find that you'll blue screen as there isn't enough power getting to the GPU.

I can only second that !

I recently fixed a buddies PC that wouldnt run his 980Ti in mining, light games worked, FurMark was ok most of time, but a miner was instant black screen.

We took out his 2-lbs weight ( max I guess ) and put in a spare one I had, 3x the weight, same 650W rating, Bronze vs. Gold, ChenYun vs. Enermax , and suddenly 650w is enough.

I put him a 1kW PSU in last night as he ordered two more fat GPUs for mining and he learned the lesson, bad PSU = bad computing.

Seasonic Prime, best you can buy right now imho. Sunflower & Corsair good as well. Dont cut corners with a PSU, that is like bad tyres on a fast car !

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I can only second that !

I recently fixed a buddies PC that wouldnt run his 980Ti in mining, light games worked, FurMark was ok most of time, but a miner was instant black screen.

We took out his 2-lbs weight ( max I guess ) and put in a spare one I had, 3x the weight, same 650W rating, Bronze vs. Gold, ChenYun vs. Enermax , and suddenly 650w is enough.

I put him a 1kW PSU in last night as he ordered two more fat GPUs for mining and he learned the lesson, bad PSU = bad computing.

Seasonic Prime, best you can buy right now imho. Sunflower & Corsair good as well. Dont cut corners with a PSU, that is like bad tyres on a fast car !

I learnt the hard way as well. I had this Dell Optiplex and put a R9 290 in it. It would run fine but i could never work out why my PSU died a couple months later. 300W PSU was not up for the task lol.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

PC Specs:

• Intel I7 8700k 4.7Ghz

You dont need to buy 1kW for a 1GPU, neither does it need to be a high end Platinum or Titanium rating, just don't buy the cheapest with the highest wattage, a decent PSU sells for under 100€/$

if you dont plan SLI or mining 24/7. That's when things take revenge.

Over 3 decades computing and fixing my own or client PC's, PSU remain the unrivaled #1 part that needs replacement on the average PC. On the other hand, good quality PSU's run for many many years and do they work reliably.

What makes sense are modular PSU's, it's just that much cleaner and less fuzzy, tho it is no need, de facto Titanium grade PSU's often have fixed cables again, to achieve the highest conduction possible, any connector is a malus. A little two edged sword here tbh.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

If it's a Dell factory I would echo again the previous advice on the PSU, since prebuilt off the shelf PC's save their money on things like PSU's and cut them right down. You also find lack of cabling on those.

Also check the case to see if the PSU isn't hard moulded into anything else the GFX card upgrade will be painfully expensive. If you find getting whatever upgrade into the same system is clipping your choices on anything whatsoever then don't bother else it will be false economy.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

would the GTX 1060 work in my system? also how would I check the power of my PSU short of taking the computer apart?

I've upgraded the gfx card in the past. Maybe about 3-4 years ago, I had a Raedon thing that was woefully out of date and I put the GTX 750 Ti in it, but didn't have to change anything else.

Here's some additional info about my system:

https://imgur.com/a/83giQ

https://imgur.com/a/DAuBt

Edited by Sceptre

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

I would go with a GTX1080 card at this point as it should provide a good boost of performance and then as others have stated, save your pennies to build a new rig.. When you have enough you can build the new one and use the 1080 that you have already paid for..

• Like 1

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

would the GTX 1060 work in my system? also how would I check the power of my PSU short of taking the computer apart?

I've upgraded the gfx card in the past. Maybe about 3-4 years ago, I had a Raedon thing that was woefully out of date and I put the GTX 750 Ti in it, but didn't have to change anything else.

Here's some additional info about my system:

https://imgur.com/a/83giQ

https://imgur.com/a/DAuBt

You don't have to take it apart. The power supply specs should be visible if you open the case. Or if you look at the back of the computer, the specs may be visible there as well.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Also, when you consider a new PSU, you have to aim higher than what you actually expect your power draw to be. One way to go might be to go to pcpartspicker.com and design an ideal build, something you think you might afford in a year or whatever. The site will give you a required wattage. Then, when you go to get a PSU to match your new GPU, you need to aim higher than that amount, ideally by nearly double, although to save money it certainly doesn't have to be, but PSUs are most efficient operating at around 50% capacity, fwiw. I honestly can't remember atm if I have a 750 or 850, but I think my expected draw was around 450W. A PSU, like a monitor, will last you through more than 1 build, most likely, so it's nice to get quality, imo.

45-65% load is best. dont pull constant 450w from a 550w psu.

i.e. I pull 500-600w 24/7 from my psu right now, dual gpu (mining) + cpu (mining). My psu-fan hardly ever spins up and my rig is still below 20dB, thanks to my external monster radiator MoRa3.

always plan for upgrades....

Edited by BitMaster