Select the gunpod with the ACP?

JLX

After setting A2G mode, it seems at present the only way to select the gun (in air-to-gnd mode) is to:

1. Select MENU on MPCD
  2. Select STORES on MPCD
  3. Select GUNS on the MPCD

Not only is this cumbersome, but if you're already using that display for another purpose you must manually re-select the previous page AGAIN once you've armed guns! Very tedious...

It seems it should be possible to do this with a single press of the center select station 4 button on the ACP.

I'm aware that guns are always available when in A2G mode. But I'm talking about using them as the primary/selected weapon and having the associated HUD mode to assist aiming.

If the Harrier IRL cannot do this, then of course it should not be in the sim.

However, it just seems a little too odd there is Armament Control Panel for the express purpose of quick access to weapons, yet the gun pod (as important as it is) cannot be selected using it!

Not only that, but it also makes the center weapon select button (4) completely useless as guns are the only weapon pod available for that station. Why else would you ever press that button? Maybe the Harrier II+ can carry bombs/etc. there? Dunno. Still, seems like quite an oversight to me.

So, I'm asking if this is a yet to be implemented function or if it's already working as intended.

Thanks!

3570K w/ 16GB, 1070 w/ 8GB @ 1440p, VKB Gunfighter/MCG-Pro & T-Rudder Mk.IV, CH ProThrottle, TrackIR 5, HTC Vive, UniversRadio, VoiceAttack, TacView Pro, DCS Menu Nav

F/A-18C, F-5E, F-86F, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Ka-50, SA342, P-51D, Spitfire Mk.IX, Bf109, Fw190, FC3, CA, Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy, WW2 Assets

So far, the only way to select AG gun is with the MPCD. The manuals say nothing about ACP selection for the gun.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

So far, the only way to select AG gun is with the MPCD. The manuals say nothing about ACP selection for the gun.
Tnx for the reply, Zeus. Out of curiosity is this something you could ask one of the Harrier pilots and/or other subject matter experts?

It just seems such a bizzare operation choice I'd like to understand the rational behind it better.

Regardless, tnx for the info.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

3570K w/ 16GB, 1070 w/ 8GB @ 1440p, VKB Gunfighter/MCG-Pro & T-Rudder Mk.IV, CH ProThrottle, TrackIR 5, HTC Vive, UniversRadio, VoiceAttack, TacView Pro, DCS Menu Nav

F/A-18C, F-5E, F-86F, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Ka-50, SA342, P-51D, Spitfire Mk.IX, Bf109, Fw190, FC3, CA, Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy, WW2 Assets

You can select the gun with a single press for air to air use. I imagine the rationale is that air to air is more time critical, whereas ground attack is often more deliberate and you can take more time. I agree though, a bit slow, nevertheless.

If you select the gun in A2A and then switch to A2G, the gun remains selected without using the MPCDs ... so 2 HOTAS actions.

From my testing, whatever the last selected weapon was in A2G mode gets reselected whenever you return to A2G mode. So, no. It's not 2 HOTAS actions if you want to switch to guns from another A2G weapon.

Point being, that you still cannot make a bombing for example, spot an additional a target on approach and quickly switch to guns to get snapshot off with the aid of the aiming reticle before climbing out. This I would imagine is not an uncommon thing to want to do.

You could quickly switch to rockets for example and get a quick shot of that way. But not the gun? As I mentioned before it just seems like a very odd design decision as the gun would seem to be the weapon of choice for that sort of thing.

If anyone knows a pilot with Harrier experience they can ask - please do! I'd love to understand more about this.

I’m new to the Harrier and barely flew it.

But it seems that in AG master mode you have access to weapon selection on MPCD top line in FLIR/ DMT/ STS/ EW/ EHSD page.

You don’t have it in TPOD.

I tried and it does work for AG gun = 1 press.

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

I’m new to the Harrier and barely flew it.

But it seems that in AG master mode you have access to weapon selection on MPCD top line in FLIR/ DMT/ STS/ EW/ EHSD page.

You don’t have it in TPOD.

I tried and it does work for AG gun = 1 press.

I never noticed that! A-10C habits carrying over perhaps. I just assumed you needed to be on the STS page to change weapons via MPCD. Never thought to check for guns on other pages.

For consistency, I'd still have thought you should also be able to do it via center pylon on the ACP.

But you're right, at least on the MPCD pages you'd expect to be active during combat (other than the TGP) the gun option is there.

That makes things much easier. Thanks for pointing that out.