VR for "PASSENGER"!

K4t4n4

Greetings,

probably I'm about to pose a very uncommon question. First of all I wish to make clear that I don't have idea IF and HOW it's possibile to do right now what I have in mind.

My idea is the following: I fly an aircraft in DCS, using as usual my HOTAS and a normal widescreen monitor. At the same time, a second person wears a VR device (connected to another PC?), he/she is virtually sitting on my aircraft (at my place in the cockpit or at my side/behind me if the aircraft is a two-seater) and is free to look around as i fly the plane.

Can it be done somehow or it's still sci-fi?

Many thanks!

I don't believe that's possible. Not while you're flying anyway. When you use VR, the monitor version just reflects what you see in the left lens. So you can't really fly in 2D (yuk, LOL) monitor mode.

Maybe what you can do is save the track, and have them observe it?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

They way to do this is via multiplayer with the handful of two-seat aircraft available. I haven't tried two-seaters in multiplayer at all, but they do exist even if they still have some problems with synchronization of controls.

But logistically hard to do, no? Would you need two DCS account's two licenses (or whatever they call the two-seat license). Not to mention the server setup. I don't think there is a LAN only option even for mutiseat play.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I have this running at home with 2 accounts I just have the multicrew Aircraft on the second account on another PC. The tricky part is that I have to use an online server that I am not running in the house as I can't seem to get them to see each other.

It is great fun flying my Dad around in an l39 and doing some instruction from the back seat. When the F14 comes out I plan to buy one for the second account.

Originally I used to fly people with them wearing the headset and me using the screen but as mentioned it's awkward and they have to look in the right direction occasionally, it's much better with 2 setups.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

I have sat people down beside me with the Rift and flown the Huey by the monitor screen works okay but can get interesting as you need.fo get them to look ahead from time to time.

The Gazelle is somewhat more challenging under those conditions.:music_whistling:

I'm currently working on a second PC for this reason and also have others fly on as well.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

other option is to use a free aircraft (say TF-51) you record a track

and he replays it in VR, he can then take control of the view

Unless that has changed you get the head movement from the recorded track and what ever head movement you put in during the playback the other gotcha again unless it's actually been fixed is that you will likely fly directly into a building or other object because track playback doesn't work still.

I could be wrong as I haven't used in a long time and just leave it in the ever expanding looong list of stuff not fixed in DCS. ;)

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Unless that has changed you get the head movement from the recorded track and what ever head movement you put in during the playback the other gotcha again unless it's actually been fixed is that you will likely fly directly into a building or other object because track playback doesn't work still.

I could be wrong as I haven't used in a long time and just leave it in the ever expanding looong list of stuff not fixed in DCS. ;)

Workaround is to start playback when sitting comfortably. When the scene starts moving around because of head movement, hit Num 5 to recenter view and hand headset over to your "passenger". He can then look around normally while being taken on the ride of his life.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Workaround is to start playback when sitting comfortably. When the scene starts moving around because of head movement, hit Num 5 to recenter view and hand headset over to your "passenger". He can then look around normally while being taken on the ride of his life.

Cool I gave up on playing a track back as I got this weird head movement thing happening as well as planting my aircraft into a building that I distinctly remember flying past. :D

Cheers for that. :thumbup: