F/A-18 flying with Wings folded?

wizav

Dude he got a press access to do stupid things like that wtf ? You guys & me are waiting the Hornet like we were waiting for a child, well this type of video is absolutely useless!

No doubt....free access, flies with wings folded.

Paid on first day of early access....get to watch people fly media access with wings folded.

Technically possible, but will void the warranty.

Is that an official DCS statement, or after-dinner-beer-induced humor?! ;)

i7-7700K@4.8GHz, 16Gb-3200, GTX-1080Ti-Strix-11Gb, Maximus IX Hero, Oculus Rift, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C, Logitech G940 Pedals.

The outter wing is less than 30% of the total wing area.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

No doubt....free access, flies with wings folded.

Paid on first day of early access....get to watch people fly media access with wings folded.

+1

I dont know about how professional review looks like but Redkite's review was waaaay much better.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

As many pointed out, you don't need the ailerons to take off and keep yourself in the air, you also have the elevators and rudders which can work together in order to roll left or right.

It's quite funny to see this kind of stuff actually. :)

Fun fact about the ailerons as well above 400kts they reverse the control, aileron up makes the wing go up so to fix this they use the leading edge flaps to roll, at the beginning both left and right leading edge flaps moved together but after this was discovered they had to seperate the left and right LEF's to move independently and add an extra servo and switching valves in the left lex , you can really tell this was an engineering stretch when working on it its like a spiders web.

If you did your checks correctly, wouldn't the Hornet warn you when you do the flight control check of the stick? You know that ditdo ditdo sound that's stuck in my head already,:huh:

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Fun fact about the ailerons as well above 400kts they reverse the control, aileron up makes the wing go up so to fix this they use the leading edge flaps to roll, at the beginning both left and right leading edge flaps moved together but after this was discovered they had to seperate the left and right LEF's to move independently and add an extra servo and switching valves in the left lex , you can really tell this was an engineering stretch when working on it its like a spiders web.

I haven't met many people that are aware of aileron reversal. You are correct that at the speed of sound the ailerons no longer move to control roll. I used to use that as a question for my new guys when teaching the maintenance manuals. It happens at the speed of sound.

A1-F18AC-570-100 WP 15 page 11: An airspeed that is 50 knots or more under the reversal point results in maximum gain. The reversal point is an airspeed where the ailerons have the opposite effect on the aircraft. The airspeed at which reversal occurs is between 600 to 670 knots depending on mach number. At and above the reversal point the aileron command is reduced to zero.

I haven't met many people that are aware of aileron reversal. You are correct that at the speed of sound the ailerons no longer move to control roll. I used to use that as a question for my new guys when teaching the maintenance manuals. It happens at the speed of sound.

I was about to comment... 400 kts, depending on pressure-altitude. Yes, Mach is the operative number.

This reversal is valid for any control surface and a similar thing happens in the engine exhaust duct, IIRC. :smartass:

i7-7700K@4.8GHz, 16Gb-3200, GTX-1080Ti-Strix-11Gb, Maximus IX Hero, Oculus Rift, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C, Logitech G940 Pedals.

This reversal is valid for any control surface

This is true, but happens at a much higher airspeed based on fuselage bending, where aileron reversal is at a lower airspeed due to outboard wings having more flex. No logic is programmed into the flight control computers in the 18 for the other flight controls in regard to reversal.

F-4s and F-8s have done so as well, although not recommended.

f-4folded.gif

What where the flight deck crew and catapult officer doing?

Look at this guy here LOL, he hasn't even folded down his wings. Oh well, lets launch this thing and see what happens anyway.:music_whistling:

That's a lot of people to get past....Strange if true.... Awesome debrief tho:).

"on May 10, 1966, LT JG Greg Scwalber and his RIO (Radar Intercept Officer) Bill Wood were launched from USS Roosevelt (CVA-42) and once airborne they discovered that their Phantom II was flying with outboard wings folded."

https://theaviationist.com/2014/02/19/us-navy-fighters-folded-wings/

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Nice olde dit from some Navy pilots;

"Wings Folded

Richard (Dick) Green - VAN Team #3

A little over 50 years ago [....]

I also revised the Checklist a tad. "Wings Locked" was now No.l on the list. Also No.4 and No. 7. He took the needling graciously, though, and we never mentioned the "embarrassment" again."

megalol.gif Loved the story!

Nunc est bibendum, nunc pede libero pulsanda tellus

Well if the damage model is anything to go by but why would you do.this?

Is an 1-wing burning F15 with 3bags (2) doing 15g+ turns and shooting u down realistic? I guess not and still u see it.

Soon: Wing folded F18 and 1-wing burning F15 in formation flight shooting down bandits :pilotfly:

[100☭] holimoli #13, 100-й КИАП

Of course no serious pilot would fly in this configuration

When I clicked that video in the original post and heard Cap's voice about a second in, I knew enough :megalol:

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

• ED Team

thread derailed, will clean up'

edit: thread clean of off topic

This thread is for F/A-18C wings folded discussions please keep to it

thread reopened

thanks

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 1 year later...
I also revised the Checklist a tad. "Wings Locked" was now No.l on the list. Also No.4 and No. 7. He took the needling graciously, though, and we never mentioned the "embarrassment" again."

LOL

My Hangar: | A-10A | A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B II NA | F-14B | BF-109 K4 | C-101 | F-15C | F-5E II |F-86F | F/A-18C | FW-190 D-9 | KA-50 | L-39 | M-2000C | MI-8MTV2 | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | P-51D | SA342 | Spitfire IX | SU-25 | SU-25T | SU-27 | SU-33 | UH-1H |

My Playgrounds: | Caucasus | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy |

Cockpit: | i7-4790K | EVGA Z97 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB | Samsung EVO SSD | Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S. System | TrackIR 5 |

Entertaining thread.

Any aircraft , even one with out wings, will "fly" if you get it fast enough. Wing surface area is not the issue.

The ailerons and flaps are inop with the wings folded. Even if they were, they would articulate into each other and bind given the ailerons are positioned directly above the flaps when folded. Whats more, they are not just "flaps", they can move as much as an aileron. If the trailing edge surface try and move with the wings folded and bind, it will probably be asometric and induce an uncontrollable roll. Most flaps (control surfaces) fail in this mode when binding occors. The odds of having both opposing control surfaces break at perfectly symmetrical angles, with those odds better make a trip to vegas. (One of the primary issues i have with the f-14 and F-18 damage models, there should be more uncontrolled rolls when over Ged, but i digress)

Folding the wings was a relitively delicate process because of the tight tolorances between surfaces. If you rotated the handle before the beer cans were up, bind. If ya moved the stick before the wings were fully folded, bind, if you looked at the flap lever with a smirk on your face at any point during the process, bind. I can only imagine what would happen under flight load.

All roll/pitch control/ stability would be from the stabs.

The aircraft is barely stable under aprox 200 knots on the stabs alone. It would be tantamount to operating in what is known as "MECH". If you tried to take off in mech it would uncontrollably pitch up, stall, porpoise, and make a hole in the ground. And if you were lucky enough to get airborne, ya need to transit back down to below 200 to land. We practice this EP in the sim so we would not make the mistake and try to take the aircraft airborne if the emergency presented past line speed.

Fun thought experiment, not realistic at all.

EDIT: lots said the same things i did. Sorry for the redundancy.

Edited by Lex Talionis

Find us on Discord. https://discord.gg/td9qeqg

So we only need wings to fill full of fuel and hang ordnance off!

yeah, just look at the Jag. Wings on heavy and fast jets are not like wings on your Cessna. They are more of a guidance system at speed. Most jet fighters now have lifting bodies. The F-16 for example generates a majority of its lift from the body under normal operating conditions.