DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar and Warthog + MFDs - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

View Poll Results: How shoiuld the Autopilot Altitude and Heading/Track Switches be mapped on the RMFD?
Keep DH/DT with Hdg Hold and BA/RA with Alt Hold (keep apples with apples) 0 0%
Map BA/RA with Hdg Hold and DH/DTwith Alt Hold (like actual panel switches) 2 100.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-17-2014, 05:17 PM   #31
Home Fries

I'll look into it, thanks.

I have S3+H3U/D set for flaps up and down respectively, but if what you say is true then those commands do full flap deflection and there are 3 states in the Su-25T. Those commands work with the incremental flaps in the A-10A and A-10C (though the C uses S3+H2), so I'm not sure why the 25T is different. Like I said, I'll look into it.

Thanks for the feedback.

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Provide your inputs for CTS 3.0
My DCS Files and Skins
My DCS TARGET Profile for Cougar or Warthog and MFDs
F-14B LANTIRN Guide
Home Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:06 PM   #32
ArtMan_NL

You welcome,

I double checked this night when I was practising touch and go's with the SU-25T. You mentioned in your message 3 states in the SU-25T for flap deflection. I think you mean 2? The first state is for manoeuvring and deployed if you do an attack. The second state is for landing. The flaps will then be full deployed.

If I use S3+H2 I get only Full flap deployment. Maybe it is a good idea to do some time management for flap deflection? Because you are using the first flap statement by your Cougar quite a lot it must be activated when using S3+H2. The second state should be activated when you hold for 0.5 or 1 second the S3+H2 down. But that's only a suggestion.

Last edited by ArtMan_NL; 02-17-2014 at 08:09 PM.
ArtMan_NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:08 AM   #33
Home Fries

ArtMan,

Thanks for uncovering this for me. I figured any multi-stage flaps would be treated like the A-10A (up or down does one increment), but the Su-25 does it differently as you described. The up/down commands do the discrete retracted and landing flaps states, and the only way to access maneuvering flaps is with the flap toggle "f".

For the next portion of the post, I should clarify that I really did mean 3 states for the Su-25. The states are landing flaps, maneuvering flaps, and retracted. So we were both in agreement, but I was counting the retracted setting as a state (which is necessary when thinking about mapping these things to arrays).

I thought about doing some sort of tempo like you suggested, but without a discrete keypress for maneuvering flaps it makes things difficult with very little upside, especially since S3+H3 tempo is shared with the landing gear and the Su-25 differs from the rest of the FC aircraft (with exception of the A-10A all other FC aircraft have only two states).

The solution I offer is fairly simple: I can keep the TARGET routine as is but change the mapping in the Su-25 and 25T in the LUA files so that S3+H3U performs the flap toggle instead of the flaps up command. Since the function is a toggle you don't lose any functionality, but without having a discrete "flaps up" command you will need to pay more attention to your instrument panel for flap state.

What are your thoughts?

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring.

My DCS Files and Skins
F-14B LANTIRN Guide
Old 02-18-2014, 09:20 AM   #34
ArtMan_NL

Quote:
but without having a discrete "flaps up" command you will need to pay more attention to your instrument panel for flap state.
I have no problems with that. It is always a very good idea to look at your instrument panel.

You are right about the 3 state. It is a different approach for looking at it

One thing I didn´t check yesterday evening. Did you make a function for the brake-parachutes in your profile? Sometimes I´m messing things up during the landing and it isn´t clear for me if I deployed the parachutes or not. Sometimes I have to double check with the outside view if I deployed them.

I have to sort this out. I´m not sure if there is a instrument panel warning light for those parachutes.

/Arthur
ArtMan_NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:03 AM   #35
Ssnake51

Home Fries,

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but how do you make such great MFD printouts?

Have been working on some TARGET profiles for a couple games and the only way I have found to make the MFD printouts is Thrustmaster's online program. Am getting tired of looking at the same green background. Not to mention the lousy text formatting in TM's program.
Ssnake51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:19 AM   #36
Home Fries

Ssnake,

It's actually pretty easy if you have some photo-editing skills and software that allows layers. Just import a thrustmaster printout (save as pdf or bitmap) into your editing software and use this as your background. Add guides to represent the boundaries of each button (as shown on the printout), then select the white space surrounding the printouts (i.e. magic wand). Copy this and make it your top layer so you will always have your outline (you can even add a 1 point border if you're feeling fancy). Between the guides and the borders in the top layer, you can do anything you like in the middle.

As a tip, I recommend using 6-7 point font for the text in each of the button spaces. It's easy enough to see but lets you get 3-4 good lines in before it gets too crowded.

My DCS Files and Skins
F-14B LANTIRN Guide

Last edited by Home Fries; 02-22-2014 at 05:26 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:00 PM   #37
Ssnake51

Thanks much for the detailed explanation.

Unfortunately my photo-editing skills are even worse than my targeting skills. I didn't even understand some of the terms you were using, but after a little googling found the program paint.net.
Looks like it has the editing tools you were talking about. Will give it a try.

Again, thanks.
Ssnake51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:24 PM   #38
Home Fries

You have to start somewhere, Ssnake. I'm self-taught; I started tweaking skins in Flanker 2.0 and it grew from there.

As long as you learn to use the layers, it will come easy. The polish may take time, but that's to be expected.

One technique I also like to use if I want to try something new: duplicate the layer and practice on the duplicate. If it works, delete the original layer, or hide it and drop it in the layer order if you're concerned about losing your history.

My DCS Files and Skins
F-14B LANTIRN Guide
Old 04-13-2014, 04:31 PM   #39
Ogami Musashi

Hello Home Fries,

First thank you for the great work with this profiles!

I'm a returnee to simualtions and dusted off my cougar! And it seems i've forgotten about everything.

I'm using it with DCS world 1.28 RC1 beta for the F-15C and i'm having trouble because some functions seem not to work or i don't get the timing.

I can't get many things like airbrakes, trim or dofight swith BVR mode working. I the flaps working (once i got the tempo ) but then in flight they didn't work anymore.

Is it me? or your profile maybe do not fully work with 1.28?
Ogami Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:59 AM   #40
Home Fries

I'm working on a 1.2.8 compatible version of the profile, but the release is only 1.2.7 compatible right now.

Since 1.2.8 changes the format of the included LUA files (which are very necessary for the profile), the only real option is to take your joystick and keyboard lua files from 1.2.7 and put them in the proper 1.2.8 folders (deleting the diff.lua files). That should provide the solution for everything except for the autopilot and nosewheel steering on the F-15C.

My DCS Files and Skins
F-14B LANTIRN Guide

Tags
cougar, hotas, mfd, thrustmaster, warthog