Imagine... (EDGE)

Ebs

Imagine for one second that the reason EDGE/Nevada has been delayed so long (and so often) is that ED are bringing us something bigger than we could have thought.

Sometime in the (hopefully near) future, they finally announce a release date for EDGE...the community rejoices. Over the weeks leading up to the release, Nevada screenshots are uploaded and the hype begins...

Then, something happens, we start seeing "leaked" screenshots of other areas that clearly aren't Nevada. There's a shot of Manchuria here...a shot of Iraq there...Korea even makes an appearance...Rumours spread like wild fire. "Fake!", "OMG it's not just nevada, it's a terrain pack", "They're screenshots from other terrain in development" come the forum replies. ED stays relatively quiet about it all....

Eventually, the release date of EDGE is upon us and as the first few people download it they realization hits...ED have released DCS World.

DCS: World.

DCS: World

(A man can dream can't he? :thumbup: )

• Like 1

I don't understand why everyone claims that edge and the nevada map has been delayed.

I've never seen anyone from ED giving a release date for edge, it has always been a work in progress that has been going on in conjunction with other development and we all know that the original Nevada map will never be released and instead we are getting the Nevada map for edge that is already more or less done.

To expect a graphics engine for a game like this to take less than two or three years is not really based on any kind of reality.

I hate getting my hopes up like that. It's like going to see a movie, I go in having low expectations, then, the movie is usually more enjoyable ;)

As far as EDGE goes, I'm assuming it's going to still be based on a flat world, still have problems with the water elevation looking lower than the ground itself, and still choppy as heck with sub-par explosions.

I go in with these expectations, and if it's better, allssss goood in the hoood.

• Like 1

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

--Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/livingfood --

...the announcement is followed by hundreds of angry threads and protests in the streets, the community pays the ED offices in Moscow and Minsk a "visit" and throw rocks at the windows whilst shouting "WE WANT FIGHTERS! WE WANT FIGHTERS!" The terrain developing staff is captured and held hostage, the consumers' demand is simply the release of DCS:F/A-18C within a month, otherwise they'll step up the attacks.

Edited by Lucas_From_Hell

I hate getting my hopes up like that. It's like going to see a movie, I go in having low expectations, then, the movie is usually more enjoyable ;)

As far as EDGE goes, I'm assuming it's going to still be based on a flat world, still have problems with the water elevation looking lower than the ground itself, and still choppy as heck with sub-par explosions.

I go in with these expectations, and if it's better, allssss goood in the hoood.

Yes, it's confirmed that Edge is not going to be a "World" based map. So we can safely put that to rest. :)

Yeah thats a nice vision! I think it is not that unlikely that they use a terrain model bases on a sphere, that is not limited to represent a special area (black sea or nevada). There was a recently a discussion about the world rendering engine outerra and "Wags" sad that EDGE will outperform it. Its not unlikely that we get the whole world with all its oceans and a realistic height map of the land masses, but without streets, rivers, city and other details. It could be more like the empty krim-penisula in the north-west of the current map. Once a special area is modeled it could replace the existing empty part.

Yeah it should be possible to ED and partners to extend the area every on small increments, so we get some 1000km² with every update. :-)

Keep on dreaming!! Its the engine of progress!

Edited by CTR

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Flanker driver since 1996

Imagine for one second that the reason EDGE/Nevada has been delayed so long (and so often) is that ED are bringing us something bigger than we could have thought.

Sometime in the (hopefully near) future, they finally announce a release date for EDGE...the community rejoices. Over the weeks leading up to the release, Nevada screenshots are uploaded and the hype begins...

Then, something happens, we start seeing "leaked" screenshots of other areas that clearly aren't Nevada. There's a shot of Manchuria here...a shot of Iraq there...Korea even makes an appearance...Rumours spread like wild fire. "Fake!", "OMG it's not just nevada, it's a terrain pack", "They're screenshots from other terrain in development" come the forum replies. ED stays relatively quiet about it all....

Eventually, the release date of EDGE is upon us and as the first few people download it they realization hits...ED have released DCS World.

DCS: World.

DCS: World

(A man can dream can't he? :thumbup: )

Sincerely - this feels like when a girl keeps you at distance, but you keep hoping she's just waiting for the right moment. :megalol:

Then I could finally fly the "long walk" from USA to Iraq with multiple IARs and vertigo thunderstorms... in my trusty ol' Warthog, of course...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

...the few, the proud, the remaining...

There was a recently a discussion about the world rendering engine outerra and "Wags" sad that EDGE will outperform it.

Link your sources CTR !

Lucas, please do no harm to edge team ! please please please !

TASK / ROLES acronyms guide

Black Shark A.I. datalink guide illustrated (v1.2.4 Available on Wiki)

DCS World Codex 1.1 : full units list (Speed/Weapons/Armor thickness/Threat zone/Weapon damage...) (Oct 2013)

BlackShark 2 1.2.x Bug and glitches thread (v1.2.7)

Allright, chant with me:

What do we want?

We want EDGE. And Nevada. And Middle East. And southeast Europe. And the Falklands. And Western Europe. And China. And all the terrains should have at least 3 different eras modeled (WW2, 70s-80s and modern). And a completely bug-free DCS World with no network problems. And all the bugs fixed in all existing DCS modules. And upgraded FC3 with all the planes remodeled with new 6DOF cockpits and AFMs. And DCS SU27, DCS F15, DCS FA18, DCS MIG29, DCS F22, DCS FW190, DCS ME109, DCS AH64D, DCS Mil MI24, DCS SU33, DCS F16, DCS Xwing and DCS chocolate-chip-cookie. And collision models for trees and buildings. And better dynamic campaigns.

When do we want it?

Now. No, wait, let me rephrase it: (*whining voice*) why is ED ignoring the *insert_module_here*, when it's clearly the most important thing they should be focusing right now? This should totally already have been developed ages ago!

Maybe, just maybe, we should make some prioritizing as to what part we want ED to do first. The list is long, as in DECADES of developing time. Do we first want a new terrain and new engine? Or do we want a fast mover airplane to be developed first? Should that fast mover be western or eastern?

DCS A10C Warthog, DCS Black Shark 2, DCS P51D Mustang, DCS UH-1H Huey, DCS Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight, Flaming Cliffs 3, Combined Arms

System: Intel i7 4770k @4,2GHz; MSI Z87-G65; 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM; 128GB SSD SATA3 (system disk); 2TB HDD SATA3 (games disk); Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X; Windows 7 64bit

Flight controls: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder; TrackIR 5; Thrustmaster F16 MFDs; 2x 8'' LCD screens (VGA) for MFD display; 27'' LG LCD full HD main display