Canopy randomly jettisons, guided weapons stop firing or tracking after a while.

dfreeze25

Hello all,

Seems like a bug to me, or perhaps I'm doing something wrong on my end.

But it seems that after some time in single player mode, usually more than an hour or so or more than one landing and rearming (sometimes sooner), the guided weapons will stop functioning properly- or at all (Weapons will not track to target) or will fail to launch altogether to the point of even being unable to jettison said weaponry. I've read the manual (Chucks guide, I believe it's called) And have watched tutorials by red kite and the Grim Reapers on Youtube. Aircraft systems are configured properly, and as instructed with the proper time alloted for alignment and so forth. Weapons being powered on and aircraft armed, etc.

Also, the WMD-7 will no longer fire the laser even after having the aircraft repaired on the ground, proper laser codes entered and confirmed.

Having the WMD-7 completely removed from the aircraft, replaced with another pod, taking off, either to simply fly and rtb or engaging air targets then rtb to rearm with the WMD-7 has no effect at all.

I've tried every variation and configuration I could think of to rectify the problem to no avail. Repairing the aircraft on the ground and taking off, not taking off, and just rearming with everything else, shutting down the aircraft etc also has no effect.

Additionally the SPJ seems stuck on "Standby" And cannot be coaxed out of standby mode.

Furthermore, I've noticed that after more than one landing and rearming, my canopy will randomly decide to pop off the aircraft as if it's been jettisoned, with absolutely no input from me and with seemingly no pattern to it other than I've had more than one landing, even after just having the aircraft repaired just in case. I can't even seem to locate a key command to jettison the canopy.

I understand the aircraft is EA, Thus my reason for bringing this up is to alert the developer to the potential bugs and simply because I am wondering if anyone else is having similar issues and If so, are there any workarounds other than the obvious, stop flying for so long.

Thanks in advance.

My rig in case such information is needed:

Intel Core i7 9700K

32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz G.skill Trident Z RGB Ram

MSi Z390 MEG ACE Mobo

512 GB WD Black NVMe SSD

MSi RTX 2080 ti Gaming Trio

NZXT E850 PSU

Logitech X56 black pro H.O.T.A.S (Throttle plugged into powered USB by itself w/no leds on)

When you look at the SMS page on one MFCD, are the weapons marked red? This would mean that they are damaged mostly due to over-G.

If they are green this sounds like a bug. For the canopy jett I have no idea unfortunately.

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

With the WMD-7, what are you trying to do with the laser? What makes you think it is broken? It all should work automatically, leave it all at default and the laser will automatically fire when you launch a weapon and turn off after impact.

For the SPJ, the MFD OSB does not change standby mode, you use the HOTAS switch to turn SPJ on, T2 forward.

Sorry don’t know about your canopy

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

Also, the WMD-7 will no longer fire the laser even after having the aircraft repaired on the ground, proper laser codes entered and confirmed.

Having the WMD-7 completely removed from the aircraft, replaced with another pod, taking off, either to simply fly and rtb or engaging air targets then rtb to rearm with the WMD-7 has no effect at all.

I've tried every variation and configuration I could think of to rectify the problem to no avail. Repairing the aircraft on the ground and taking off, not taking off, and just rearming with everything else, shutting down the aircraft etc also has no effect.

Without knowing how much use you've made of the laser it's hard to know if it's a bug or a DCS limitation.

Laser burnout is modelled in DCS, AFAIK it was originally designed for the Ka-50, Su-25T, etc., but seems "hard coded", accumulative and to effect third party modules i.e. when acting as JTAC and ON/OFF lasing for other players for 1-2 hours.

IIRC the only "fix" for a burn't out laser (in other modules) is to spawn in a new aircraft.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

When you look at the SMS page on one MFCD, are the weapons marked red? This would mean that they are damaged mostly due to over-G.

If they are green this sounds like a bug. For the canopy jett I have no idea unfortunately.

Hey, thanks for the reply. Yeah, that was my first thought, that I had pushed the aircraft too hard and over 'G'd' the pylons. Alas, all pylons showing green, not a single red on the sms.

Without knowing how much use you've made of the laser it's hard to know if it's a bug or a DCS limitation.

Laser burnout is modelled in DCS, AFAIK it was originally designed for the Ka-50, Su-25T, etc., but seems "hard coded", accumulative and to effect third party modules i.e. when acting as JTAC and ON/OFF lasing for other players for 1-2 hours.

IIRC the only "fix" for a burn't out laser (in other modules) is to spawn in a new aircraft.

I'm using it periodically throughout the 1-2 hour session, but not caging it or powering it down. I've been using it through that time for targeting, marking a poi and range finding. Well, then that explains a lot, as the WMD-7 works fine then no longer lazes the targets, not rangefinding, nothing... that must be the case with it not so much a bug with the aircraft as much as coding limitation in DCS. Thanks for that.

This canopy jettison is getting rather annoying though.

With the WMD-7, what are you trying to do with the laser? What makes you think it is broken? It all should work automatically, leave it all at default and the laser will automatically fire when you launch a weapon and turn off after impact.

For the SPJ, the MFD OSB does not change standby mode, you use the HOTAS switch to turn SPJ on, T2 forward.

Sorry don’t know about your canopy

Hi there.

Well, laser guided weapons are no longer finding their way to the target, but are instead acting like 'dumb bombs'. Also, the letters 'LSD' no longer flashes, neither does the laser code.

Ah, okay. Well, it seems you might have solved my SPJ issue as I completely overlooked the possibility that there were hotas commands for it. Derp. Well, thanks for that anyway. :D

This damned canopy jettison problem is really weird. Do you know if there are certain key commands to jettison the canopy? At least that way I could disable or reassign it.

This damned canopy jettison problem is really weird. Do you know if there are certain key commands to jettison the canopy? At least that way I could disable or reassign it.

Have a look through the key command list. Most likely explanation is that you've accidentally assigned a HOTAS button to it or it was assigned automatically by DCS. Usually when I get a new module I make sure to clear out all the commands from joystick, throttle and rudder pedals and then build them from scratch to avoid weird things happening.