Finer Trim on X52

LastRifleRound

I saw a few topics on this, but none really conclusive. What's everyone doing out there for trim? I find the harrier's trim to be way too coarse. I find, when landing for instance, that it is impossible to trim the witch's hat level with the horizon. It's either rising or climbing quite a bit with nothing possible in between.

I have the trim mapped to my 8-way hat right out of the DCS controls page.

Any tricks to this, either in different control settings or in actual procedure I can use? I find the workload gets way too high on carrier landings because trim just isn't an effective means of assisting with stable flight.

I trim it to be close, then I stabilise the last bit with the stick. In hover flight it acts like a helicopter, meaning there is not real trimmed out flight. Therefore you can get it close and then you have to wrangle it the last bit.

Same here and it works well.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

Makes sense if you think about it. Harrier has no fly by wire so it should require constant adjustments. Trim reduces the workload but not 100%.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

Then maybe what I perceive as a trim issue a stick sensitivity issue. I feel the trim and stick overcompensate no matter what I do.

Don't get me wrong, I can overhead break to the carrier and I have no issue manage RVL's and the like, it just seems I'm fighting the aircraft more than I probably should. The aircraft I fly the most is the Viggen which has no fly-by-wire, either, only a dampening system.

Does anyone have a curve pattern they prefer for the harrier on their stick?

Yeah, I'd use curves to flatten out your stick response. I use like 20's or 30's with an extension so probably more if you don't have one.

Otherwise trim as much as makes sense and then small corrections for the rest.

The other "helo" pro-tip is not to use curves but to use saturation and linear curves. While this works amazing for helos, it means your A/C roll/pitch response will not be "max" at the end of the stops. But it will be linear which your brain likes.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

A sad thing I can add too: Your X52 might have a "large" deadzone in the center position. My old X52 had that and it made flying with precision a proper pain in the ass. To that there is no real fix I know of. If your stick is like that, then you simply have to hamfist your way down. Or buy a new, better stick. That helped me immensely.