GUNS mode ?

Alon_D

Hello everyone

Shouldn't in F16 be an option I can see where I'm shooting for GUNS mode

In a situation like the picture I can't aim

In the past I used F15 and if so it was possible in GUN mode to see exactly where I hit

Is it different here?

1635281377_.png.091025abce2b712f0c444bb116849192.png

It's a little different in the F-16. The cross at the top center of your HUD is the gun boresight and the funnel underneath is the gun funnel or EEGS (Enhanced Envelope Gun Sight). Right now, it's quite bare bones, but the general idea is that you place the target inside the funnel, while ideally being at the same plane of motion as them, and when the wingtips touch the edges of the funnel, you fire.

Two things: One, EEGS with a radar lock is supposed to add additional information. That includes a flight director, as well as a lead computing sight. The level of added info goes through 4 levels. Without radar lock, you have Level I EEGS and after radar lock, as more info about the target becomes available, you go from Level II to Level V EEGS.

Two: You can manually select the target's wingspan to adjust the funnel width, through List->MAN, but it's not implemented yet.

We'll also get the LCOS sight later down the line, which is closer to what the F-15 has, but the EEGS is regarded as better anyway.

So you'll definitely be able to see where you're firing and when you should fire, but it's not implemented yet. Give it some time and maybe try getting kills with what you have right now, which is the funnel, but like without having a radar lock. It's still useful and important to master.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

• 2 weeks later...

It's just dogfight hud symbology is not implemented, and most likely it won't be for another month or two. Maybe longer.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Is there currently or will there be a rounds remaining indication in our Viper, HUD or MFD?

There already is a rounds remaining counter on the SMS MFD. At least it is there in Strafe mode. I haven't looked closely yet in A/A guns.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Got a source for that? I'd really hope it be sooner.

Well, the development in December shifted back to Hornet, so I guess there's not much manpower left for new Viper features. And updates in January are always sparse due to New Year and holidays.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Is there currently or will there be a rounds remaining indication in our Viper, HUD or MFD?

There are, it's a number on the SMS page, displayed when you are in AA or AG guns modes. It starts at 51 (510 rounds) and goes down as you fire. IIRC it's already implemented in both AG and DGFT modes.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

Well, the development in December shifted back to Hornet, so I guess there's not much manpower left for new Viper features. And updates in January are always sparse due to New Year and holidays.

From what I've read, according to the mods and Wags, only the extra people went back to the Hornet, those that were only temporarily transferred to the Viper in the first place. So both modules should have their full teams now.

-

It could be, but I'm not holding my breath. The word "team" in ED language can also mean one person that also has other tasks assigned.

• 2 years later...

I think this variant has options for EEGS, LCOS, and SNAP but it might be missing either of the latter two. EDIT: Think this variant of the F-16 is EEGS-only.

Gun is selected in three ways: AA master mode, GUNS (press SMS OSB 1 to change from AAM), AG master mode STRF, and DGFT override.

Top picture has an erroneous ASL in it for some reason and shows what looks like level 2 sight. Levels 3 4 5 are when MMC has knowledge of target range, velocity, acceleration respectively. You don't get the "death dot" until level 5.

Edited by Frederf
  • Thanks 1