JDAM Pre-plan mode - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-14-2019, 11:44 PM   #1
joeshenglingyuan

Default JDAM Pre-plan mode

Hi,
I don't know if anyone else has this problem. Apparently, I could only input longitude or latitude then I will have a hard time to type in the other 0ne.
joeshenglingyuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:57 PM   #2
Knives

For each lat lon entry, press enter twice.
Knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:58 AM   #3
Harker

You enter enter your DD,MM,SS, hit Enter and then you either enter the last two decimals for the seconds (so you have DD,MM,SS.ss) or hit enter again to skip the decimals.

Keep in mind that with the decimals, you have an accuracy of 1 meter, without them it's lower (100m i think?)
Z370 Aorus Gaming 7, i7-8700k @4.9GHz, EVGA GTX1080Ti KINGPIN, Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 @3000CL15, Samsung 960 Pro, 970 Evo Plus, WD Gold 6TB, Seasonic Prime Platinum 1300W, Acer Predator XB271HK|TM Warthog w/extension, TM TPR pedals, 3 TM Cougar MFDs, MT desk mounts, TrackIR w/Pro clip, Win10 x64 Home|
F/A-18C, F-14, AV8B, A-10C, M2000C, P-51D, Sptifire, BS2, FC3, Caucasus, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf
Harker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:08 AM   #4
joeshenglingyuan

TBH, I can type in either longitude and latitude with a double press, but it often results in the other flashing and not be able to be input.
joeshenglingyuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:59 AM   #5
GrEaSeLiTeNiN

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshenglingyuan View Post
TBH, I can type in either longitude and latitude with a double press, but it often results in the other flashing and not be able to be input.
DDMMSS.SS

If your MM or SS is a single digit say "9", I think you need to key in "09". Could it be that issue?
GrEaSeLiTeNiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:15 AM   #6
CheeseCake

is it just me having this issue but if i try to get the Lat/lon from a set waypoint it does not enter the data but if i get it from the map it does?
CheeseCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:17 AM   #7
GrEaSeLiTeNiN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseCake View Post
is it just me having this issue but if i try to get the Lat/lon from a set waypoint it does not enter the data but if i get it from the map it does?
Not sure I understand your question but basically in summary:

1. The UFC in the Hornet can only take DDMMSS.SS format. When keying in Long or Lat, key in E/W (if Long) or N/S (if Lat) then DDMMSS then hit Enter. Then key in .SS and hit Enter again. It should accept the coordinate. [The reason why Wags in his video did "Enter-Enter" was because he was effectively keying in the the last two decimals (.SS) as zero (.00).]

2. But the ME map currently does not have coordinates in DDMMSS.SS format. It will later in an update. Instead it has 3 other formats:-
  • 1st - Default forrnat is DDMMSS which is not precise enough for hitting targets (unless the missing ".SS" happens to be zero).
  • 2nd - Press Left Alt Y and it go to DDMM.MMM format.
  • 3rd - Press Left Alt Y again and it will go to MGRS format.
  • You convert MGRS or DDMM.MMM to DDMMSS.SS for use in the UFC.
3. For conversion, I use the DDMM.MMM format because you can simply convert it to DDMMSS.SS by multiplying 0.MMM with 60. For example, N35°10.617' (DDMM.MMM) will become N35°10'37.02" (DDMMSS.SS) because 0.617' x 60 = 37.02".

4. What is the distance of 1 second? I read it varies between Long and Lat and where you are on the earth due to the earth's shape. For example, at 38°N, 1 second of Lat is 101ft while 1 second of Long is 80ft. So DDMMSS.SS should give you an accuracy of up to a few ft? Not sure if/how this is modeled in DCS though.

I hope I got this right!

Cheers

Last edited by GrEaSeLiTeNiN; 04-23-2019 at 10:34 PM.
GrEaSeLiTeNiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:25 PM   #8
RaisedByWolves

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrEaSeLiTeNiN View Post
Not sure I understand your question but basically in summary:

1. The UFC in the Hornet can only take DDMMSS.SS format. When keying in Long or Lat, key in E/W (if Long) or N/S (if Lat) then DDMMSS then hit Enter. Then key in .SS and hit Enter again. It should accept the coordinate. [The reason why Wags in his video did "Enter-Enter" was because he was effectively keying in the the last two decimals (.SS) as zero (.00).]

2. But the ME map currently does not have coordinates in DDMMSS.SS format. It will later in an update. Instead it has 3 other formats:-
  • 1st - Default forrnat is DDMMSS which is not precise enough for hitting targets (unless the missing ".SS" happens to be zero).
  • 2nd - Press Left Alt Y and it will go to MGRS format.
  • 3rd - Press Left Alt Y again and it go to DDMM.MMM format.
  • You convert MGRS or DDMM.MMM to DDMMSS.SS for use in the UFC.
3. For conversion, I use the 2nd format DDMM.MMM because you can simply convert it to DDMMSS.SS by multiplying 0.MMM with 60. For example, N35°10.617' (DDMM.MMM) will become N35°10'37.02" (DDMMSS.SS) because 0.617' x 60 = 37.02".

4. What is the distance of 1 second? I read it varies between Long and Lat and where you are on the earth due to the earth's shape. For example, at 38°N, 1 second of Lat is 101ft while 1 second of Long is 80ft. So DDMMSS.SS should give you an accuracy of up to a few ft? Not sure if/how this is modeled in DCS though.

I hope I got this right!

Cheers

You nailed it.
RaisedByWolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:43 PM   #9
whaaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harker View Post
Keep in mind that with the decimals, you have an accuracy of 1 meter, without them it's lower (100m i think?)
i dropt a ton of JDAMS and never used the decimals, i used the coords from TACVIEW or Web GUI's from MP servers like GAW or Fraternity and my bombs always did a direct hit. ALWAYS
so i think its more like 10ft not 100ft in DCS at least
Old 04-15-2019, 02:29 PM   #10
=4c=Nikola

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaaw View Post
i dropt a ton of JDAMS and never used the decimals, i used the coords from TACVIEW or Web GUI's from MP servers like GAW or Fraternity and my bombs always did a direct hit. ALWAYS
so i think its more like 10ft not 100ft in DCS at least
Maybe they have placed targets on coordinates with whole numbers, without decimal.

Tags
bugs