Update of the F-5E to the F-5N level? - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you interested in a payware update of the 80´s F-5E to the present F-5N?
Yes 76 55.47%
No 46 33.58%
It would depend of the sale price. 15 10.95%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-15-2019, 09:21 AM   #21
norbot

In my opinion the F-5E is OK the way it is. I don't need an upgrade. Would be too much the same as the one we already have.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:32 AM   #22
Kongamato

Quote:
Originally Posted by probad View Post
that's hella projecting. i enjoy the f-5 for its insight into aircraft development history, to see what aircraft of its timeperiod were like. you seem to only be able to think in terms of more-and-less and winning-and-losing, which really have nothing to do with the airplanes. when you're agnostic about the systems and operation of the aircraft, all you are left with is its outer mold line, that is it say, you're in it for the vanity, that you just like the aircraft for how it looks, because that is really all what different variants of the f-5 have in common in the end. that is again, not really about the airplane, because an airplane is more than a work of art, it is a functional tool.

furthermore, you seem to have stopped at the notion that the only way to enjoy something is to have more of it. you don't appreciate the concept that contrast compliments enjoyment, that comparisons resulting from diverse experiences, both positive and negative, only serve to highlight each subject's unique qualities. is the f-5n different enough from the f-5e to create valuable juxtaposition? not really when set beside that of a mig-19, f-8, or ee lightning.

i never said i didnt want an f-5n, if one dropped off a tree, i'd pick it up. but modules don't grow on trees, the world doesnt run on votes, and consensus doesnt always go your way.
If you like something, you want more and better of that. As simple as that. If for you something is just "meh" at best, you don't care. For you, it´s OK as it is. Again, as simple as that. you can use use as much verbiage as you want. I don´t need it because I´m telling a simple truth.
Kongamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:32 AM   #23
Dudikoff

IMHO, INS would be nice, but I'm not so sure about the gains of having a more advanced radar without some BVR missiles to accompany it.

I'd prefer if they made a variant with Mavericks and more Sidewinders.

Now, I really miss a computed bombing sight on this module. Did any of the F-5E export variants have those?
i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!
Dudikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:43 AM   #24
Kongamato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudikoff View Post
IMHO, INS would be nice, but I'm not so sure about the gains of having a more advanced radar without some BVR missiles to accompany it.

I'd prefer if they made a variant with Mavericks and more Sidewinders.

Now, I really miss a computed bombing sight on this module. Did any of the F-5E export variants have those?
Yes, Brazil, Chile, Singapore and maybe some other countries operate F-5E updated to "Tiger III"

https://thaimilitaryandasianregion.w...hai-air-force/
Kongamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:50 PM   #25
TLTeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kongamato View Post
If you like something, you want more and better of that. As simple as that. If for you something is just "meh" at best, you don't care. For you, it´s OK as it is. Again, as simple as that. you can use use as much verbiage as you want. I don´t need it because I´m telling a simple truth.

The mistake you're making is that you're assuming everyone thinks "more capable = better". For many DCS users capability is not as important as a good cockpit, good FM, good content, etc. The simple truth is, you are applying your personal and subjective definition of "better module" to the entire DCS community.

That is why many people enjoy the Migs, F86, F5, L39 etc for what they are - accurate representations of a real life aircraft. Whether more capable versions of said aircraft exist in real life is irrelevant to what many of us think as a "better" module.
TLTeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:23 PM   #26
Lucas_From_Hell

When I want something modern and technological I go fly the Mirage 2000. When I start up an F-5, it's because I want to go, spot the target with my own eyes and gun the Gomer down instead of hiding behind a radar scope. The F-5E is my favourite plane in DCS, but I voted 'No' because I don't feel the F-5N is a good direction for it. We already went down the USN/USMC Aggressor route with this F-5E-3 and in my opinion it's a poor choice already because it adds some gizmos that weren't used for most of its operational history while also lacking very important radio and navigation gear for combat use.
Lucas_From_Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:32 PM   #27
Dudikoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kongamato View Post
Yes, Brazil, Chile, Singapore and maybe some other countries operate F-5E updated to "Tiger III"

https://thaimilitaryandasianregion.w...hai-air-force/
Those are rather modern upgrades with MFD's and stuff, so not exactly what I had in mind (the original F-5E cockpit with some enhancements, like the INS, etc.).

I'm just surprised they couldn't have added radar ranging in the A2G mode for bombs and rockets and indicate it with the existing gunsight reticle.
i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!
Dudikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:44 PM   #28
zhukov032186

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTeo View Post
That is why many people enjoy the Migs, F86, F5, L39 etc for what they are - accurate representations of a real life aircraft. Whether more capable versions of said aircraft exist in real life is irrelevant to what many of us think as a "better" module.
I would say this represents the overwhelming majority view here. Personally I prefer the most mass produced, signature model of an aircraft, irrespective of its relative capabilities. Beyond that, I care about detail.

Obviously, the more aircraft the better, duuuh! But ''better'' has nothing to do with capabilities. If somebody wants glass cockpit techno fighters they are available, but that hardly means every aircraft must be such or that how it compares to the rest of ecosystem is important. The Yak is unarmed completely, but is my current favorite.
zhukov032186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:49 PM   #29
Exorcet

As an update? No.

As its own aircraft that would leave the F-5E available (ie as with the two L-39's)? Yes.

I'd like to see DCS get to the point where we can go down the entire version list of aircraft. Newer planes aren't better, or an improvement over older ones. They're just something different.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:32 PM   #30
Zius

Personally I'd prefer a F-5A, because it's what my country's airforce used, but the E is fine as well.

I fully agree with what TLTeo said, a better aircraft is not always the better choice.

That said, I am happy that we have the MiG-21bis rather than the F-13.