VR zoom on mouse wheel! Is this new?

xray20

I discovered a VR zoom feature last night by accident.

If you have a clickable mouse wheel, double click the wheel to enable a zoom (on the mouse wheel) in VR. This makes getting in close to see the MFDs or getting out to reach the controls at the back of the cockpit a breeze.

In this mode normal mouse control for point and click is disabled.

Press the mouse wheel again to return to point and click.

I don't know if this is a documented feature, but I have been flying DCS in VR for years and this is a game changer. Seems to work on all modules.

How long has it been implemented?

Edited by xray20
corrected inaccuracy

I discovered a VR zoom feature last night by accident.

If you have a clickable mouse wheel, press the wheel to enable a zoom (on the mouse wheel) in VR. This makes getting in close to see the MFDs or getting out to reach the controls at the back of the cockpit a breeze.

In this mode normal mouse control for point and click is disabled.

Press the mouse wheel again to return to point and click.

I don't know if this is a documented feature, but I have been flying DCS in VR for years and this is a game changer. Seems to work on all modules.

How long has it been implemented?

Is it variable zoom?

Is it variable zoom?

Yes, Its possible to move right into the MFDs and right back so your head is behind the seat. I have detents on my mouse wheel so I don't know whether its smooth or steps, but it does the job.

Having said that, I was so blown away by being able to zoom around the cockpit, that I didn't look outside. I'm not sure whether its possible to zoom in on external objects like targets. I'll check and post tomorrow. It may be a change of viewpoint within the cockpit, but its really useful nonetheless.

Possible when they made changes to Oculus Touch Controllers so that the Mini-stick Forward is left click and Aft is right click, they changed the mouse functionality as well.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Yes, Its possible to move right into the MFDs and right back so your head is behind the seat. I have detents on my mouse wheel so I don't know whether its smooth or steps, but it does the job.

Having said that, I was so blown away by being able to zoom around the cockpit, that I didn't look outside. I'm not sure whether its possible to zoom in on external objects like targets. I'll check and post tomorrow. It may be a change of viewpoint within the cockpit, but its really useful nonetheless.

I've been using zoom and the newer spy glass zoom from day 1, but I'll definitely give this a go...thanks.

Would you know the purpose of the HMD [left or right or both eyes] setting is all about, found in VR options?

Edited by fitness88

I click on the mouse wheel but nothing changes.

What exactly needs to be set up for this to work...thanks.

I have zoom working with a stick button but it's not a controllable zoom.

OK, I have had a chance to look at this in more detail.

Its not a zoom. The view of objects outside the cockpit does not change, so you'll need your traditional 1 step VR zoom to spot targets and aircraft.

It does move your head position inside the cockpit, so you can get close in to see the MFDs and back to work radios and lighting etc. The range moves eyes from the front to the rear of the canopy in about 6 steps.

I have a Logitech M570 Trackman Wireless Trackball Mouse, but I assume all mouse with clickable wheels (between left and right buttons) will work.

To activate, double click the mouse wheel. the point/click cursor disappears and the mouse wheel moves head position. to deactivate double click the mouse wheel again.

It may not be the much needed controllable VR zoom, but it does help working within the cockpit.

I think my build as far as this goes is standard, so this should work without any modifications. Let me know if yours doesn't and I'll see if have have made any mods that might affect this.

HMCS in VR

Would you know the purpose of the HMD [left or right or both eyes] setting is all about, found in VR options?

Yes. It simulates the helmet mounted targeting system (HMCS) found in the F/A-18. The control is the rotary found to the right of the right MFD. This brings up a targeting HUD that moves with your head, allowing targeting of missiles outside the view of the HUD.

The left/right/both confines this image to one or other or both eyes. I believe that the projector in real life only works in the right eye, so that's how I have it set.

Yes. It simulates the helmet mounted targeting system (HMCS) found in the F/A-18. The control is the rotary found to the right of the right MFD. This brings up a targeting HUD that moves with your head, allowing targeting of missiles outside the view of the HUD.

The left/right/both confines this image to one or other or both eyes. I believe that the projector in real life only works in the right eye, so that's how I have it set.

Thanks for the info all!

In settings the HMD has an option for left eye right eye or both...is this what is be referred to?