Anyone switched from Rift S to Quest purely for IPD purposes?

Markdude

I have noticed that my IPD is seemingly not ideal for the Rift S's fixed lens positions, which isn't surprising since I'm a pretty small person. The software IPD adjustment seems to only affect the scale of 3D objects, so that's not really a solution. I haven't measured my IPD yet but I have 20/20 uncorrected vision both near and far. If I'm in the sweet spot for one lens, the other one is blurry -- and if I try to shift the headset to fix that, the other one becomes the blurry one. So I'm almost certain this is simply a matter of IPD.

I was thinking of selling/trading my Rift S for a Quest (with Link cable) since it has manually adjustable lens distance. I figured the slightly higher resolution of the Quest would be nice too, but I seem to be finding some comments indicating that the overall visual quality is worse on the Quest. However, I get the feeling that the improvement from the proper lens alignment would outweigh that overall. Any thoughts on switching to the Quest for this purpose?

Btw I'm not too concerned about the lower refresh rate, I usually run DCS in ASW 45 FPS mode.

I have noticed that my IPD is seemingly not ideal for the Rift S's fixed lens positions, which isn't surprising since I'm a pretty small person. The software IPD adjustment seems to only affect the scale of 3D objects, so that's not really a solution. I haven't measured my IPD yet but I have 20/20 uncorrected vision both near and far. If I'm in the sweet spot for one lens, the other one is blurry -- and if I try to shift the headset to fix that, the other one becomes the blurry one. So I'm almost certain this is simply a matter of IPD.

I was thinking of selling/trading my Rift S for a Quest (with Link cable) since it has manually adjustable lens distance. I figured the slightly higher resolution of the Quest would be nice too, but I seem to be finding some comments indicating that the overall visual quality is worse on the Quest. However, I get the feeling that the improvement from the proper lens alignment would outweigh that overall. Any thoughts on switching to the Quest for this purpose?

Btw I'm not too concerned about the lower refresh rate, I usually run DCS in ASW 45 FPS mode.

Whilst I have not technically switched from my Rift S to Quest with Link, I have run both.

In my opinion Quest with Link is every bit as good as Rift S when talking quality of the image.

Performance may be a little less, but not by much.

Quest is not as comfortable to me as Rift S, but I can still game with it for extended periods without any issue. It is a little front heavy. Some folks that seems to bother more than others.

The unknown with Quest/Link is the cable you get. You will need to purchase that separately. There are many reports out there on cables that work, cables that don't, and cables that are iffy.

Best to plug it into a USB 3 Port that does not share any devices on it's particular hub.

I use the official cable from Oculus now and it works a champ for me.

Rift S remains my go to for flight sims, but I have a very average IPD. I do use my Quest with Link cable for some other games , especially darker ones as they look better to me in Quest.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I assumed from the Pimax specs that the IPD mechanically adjusted up to 75. After watching a few youtube reviews I found that the physical IPD adjustment of the headset is 72, and the software can adjust it up to 75. This is hugely disappointing to me as my IPD is 73, and I'm not so sure that a software adjustment is effective enough. Not having a proper IPD setting can induce motion type sickness.