SD-10 at mach 4.5 and still M2.5 over a minute later?!

Smokin Hole

Full burner screaming for my life. Shit thing is the tacview only showed my plane otherwise I would know exactly what happened.

They want you to buy it to see everything. Another utility now ripping off its userbase.

So many people complaining about the SD-10. Go learn some tactics! Get BMS and try BVR in that. You'll be toast the first 100 or so times. ;)

Edited by Tiger-II

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

• 2 weeks later...

SD10 is less affected by drag than the AIM120, it can reach higher speeds and maintain them for longer.

It also has similar turning ability and countermeasure resistance, so I really don't know why some people keep playing down its obvious qualities.

Can it be defeated? Of course it can, like the rest of missiles in DCS

How hard to defeat is it? This is partially subjective, ofc, but it's harder to defeat than the AIM120 in my experience (high sustained speeds + good energy conservation overall).

As things stand, SD10 is the second best fox3 in DCS, after the phoenix.

Phoenix > SD10

SD10 > AIM120

AIM120 > R77

Don't take my word for it, just remember how ED buffed the AIM120 soon after the JF17 release... coincidence? :no_sad:

Also:

Feel free to create your own test missions and analyze the data, as others have already done.

Edited by Hardcard

I’m pretty sure the CFD rework of every single missile but AIM-7(which is already done) is still planned, even SD-10 is going to get some work so it’s okay, things will be handled and you will be happy......:book::music_whistling:

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

Still bashing a great RedFor missile?

I'm going to say it anyway: part of the problem here is DCS and missile physics and guidance. It's simply broken.

After years of apparently ignoring the issue, they've finally decided to address the problems. This should correct ALL missiles, not just those we encounter most frequently.

Don't get me started on SAM behavior, but Wags addressed this a while ago. Due to what he knows IRL I doubt much will be done in that area at least.

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

For the complaints, I hardly get the number of kills to justify them.

Same. AI must know how to notch, and humans also.

Compared to AIM120C, SD10 is bigger in diameter, more weight, more length, bigger wings still less drag. I am no scientist, but that does not make any sense to me.

-------------------------------------------------

AMD 3700x, 32GB 3600 C16 RAM, 2080 Ti FE, 32UD89 4K 60, 300Mbps LAN

There are only 3 sexy airplanes in the sky, Flanker, Viper, Raptor

SD10 is less affected by drag than the AIM120, it can reach higher speeds and maintain them for longer.

Phoenix > SD10

SD10 > AIM120

AIM120 > R77

Why opensources like Wikipedia says, AIM120C is >105km range and SD 10 is 75-100km range, i also heard some sources saying SD10 is between R77 and AIM120C, which is true?

Why opensources like Wikipedia says, AIM120C is >105km range and SD 10 is 75-100km range, i also heard some sources saying SD10 is between R77 and AIM120C, which is true?

They are likely quoting PL-12 designer who said its CCM performance was in between R-77 and 120 with range performance between 120B and 120C.

It is lighter then a sparrow with lower drag wings and two stage propellant that should eventually be able to fire separately in DCS(hopefully). I believe AMRAAM motor fires for 6-7 seconds and SD10/PL-12 for 10 seconds. It’s not lower drag I assume, but when the missiles are fixed I think you’ll be satisfied. The missile because of its thicker diameter and large motor will always be more competitive WEZ compared to AMRAAM, and when fixed the AMRAAM should do better in glide. The manual lofting of the SD-10 is particularly powerful, with new API hopefully both loft the way they should

And Shaheen doesn’t the PL-5 seeker suck? Sometimes I can’t get high aspect shots until last second

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

I have actually been very lucky thus far with PL5. I've gotten kills even maddog with it moderately off boresight. What I struggle with is locking, slaving etc. Sometimes it won't lock even though I have radar lock. Other times it will work magic like irst and pick up BVR targets that I didn't know was there but just happened to drag nose over. I've even locked an incoming missile once.Best advice: forget and fire

Edited by shaHeen-1

The question is which particular variant of the 120C is being talked about. That 105+ figure may be for the C7 not the C5 that we have in game. Besides the current implementation of the amraam, although improved, imho is still a touch to draggy and it for some reason lost over 300kts in top speed for no apparent reason.

I have actually been very lucky thus far with PL5. I've gotten kills even maddog with it moderately off boresight. What I struggle with is locking, slaving etc. Sometimes it won't lock even though I have radar lock. Other times it will work magic like irst and pick up BVR targets that I didn't know was there but just happened to drag nose over. I've even locked an incoming missile once.Best advice: forget and fire

PL-5 looks good overall, but I haven't analyzed it beyond how it behaves in a fight.

forget and fire

Did you intend in that order? :lol:

The question is which particular variant of the 120C is being talked about. That 105+ figure may be for the C7 not the C5 that we have in game. Besides the current implementation of the amraam, although improved, imho is still a touch to draggy and it for some reason lost over 300kts in top speed for no apparent reason.

106 range is the AIM120C C5 variant. same one as in the DCS. Yes, amrams have very mad recently.

https://i.imgur.com/rytQTQ9.mp4, Track, Go for chaff, Track again, Then go agin for chaff

106 range is the AIM120C C5 variant. same one as in the DCS. Yes, amrams have very mad recently.

https://i.imgur.com/rytQTQ9.mp4, Track, Go for chaff, Track again, Then go agin for chaff

Yeah, that can't be right. The missile's seeker shouldn't even be able to to see the chaff it went for the second time.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

What you're looking at there is completely broken guidance logic.

They are likely quoting PL-12 designer who said its CCM performance was in between R-77 and 120 with range performance between 120B and 120C.

It is lighter then a sparrow with lower drag wings and two stage propellant that should eventually be able to fire separately in DCS(hopefully). I believe AMRAAM motor fires for 6-7 seconds and SD10/PL-12 for 10 seconds. It’s not lower drag I assume, but when the missiles are fixed I think you’ll be satisfied. The missile because of its thicker diameter and large motor will always be more competitive WEZ compared to AMRAAM, and when fixed the AMRAAM should do better in glide. The manual lofting of the SD-10 is particularly powerful, with new API hopefully both loft the way they should

And Shaheen doesn’t the PL-5 seeker suck? Sometimes I can’t get high aspect shots until last second

The 120C motor fires for 9-9.5 secs according to tacview record, and 120's behavier do not strictly follow the lua files like other missiles, so it maybe hardcoded elsewhere.

PL-5 is not a very advanced SRM, but it can do its job. remember to uncage the seeker once U have a HPT locked:pilotfly:

Deka Ironwork Tester Team

Thanks Foxwxl that makes sense about the LUA files.

Yeah I’m getting used to PL-5, once locked on its very deadly. I am always surprised at its low amount of smoke.

Very excited for the future of all missiles in game!

Do you know if the only way to trigger loft for SD-10 currently is by +15 degrees attitude or is range involved as well?