[W.I.P]stereo_mode_use_shared_parser = false/true Bug?

Motomouse

[EDIT: This happens only on my Reverb, not on my Oculus Rift CV1]

I get lots of rendering artifacts (for example with trees) with:

stereo_mode_use_shared_parser = false

much better with:

stereo_mode_use_shared_parser = true

Shouldn't it be expected the other way round. Perhaps the settings are flipped? (Did not have this rendering artifacts in the previous open beta with the untouched graphics.lua)

(By the way not much of a performance difference noticed yet between the two settings.)

Edited by Motomouse

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

No it is not flipped:

while the trees look much better and dont flimmer with setting true, the deck personal is still not rendered correctly with true. Looking forward to further development of the shared parser option.

• ED Team

Hi

this option is W.I.P and should not be used

Can you add a screenshot of what you are seeing?

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Thanks for your reply.

I am not able to show the rendering error in a screenshot because the problem is the not matching picture of the left and right eye in the HMD.

Some of the trees (about 10 percent) have a reverse lighting in the left and right eye (left half of the tree is rendered dark, right half of the tree is rendered bright for the left eye. For the right eye it is rendered vice versa: left half of the tree bright and right half of the tree dark.

The resulting effect is quite uncomfortable. This is with the standard setting stereo_mode_use_shared_parser = false

With the work in progress setting

this problem does not show up (I do not use it regulary, I just tested the setting to check if the render error is related)

I did not have this rendering artifact in the previous open beta with the standard settings.

Hope this helps.

I double checked with the setting

the rendering of the trees is consistent for the left and right eye.

with the setting

stereo_mode_use_shared_parser = false

some trees are rendered differently in the left and right eye.

The trees in the Ready on the Ramp Caucasus show the rendering error quite good.

I did further testing in the Ready on the Ramp Nevada Mission. There is a difference of the level of detail rendered with the left and right eye when using shared_parser false. When using shared_parser true the rendering distance is the same for the left and right eye.

The problem with the different lod distance is very visible at the edge of the renderbubble (LOD change).

Edited by Motomouse

So for now I have the choice:

1. Uncomfortable trees and mountains all the time with default settings

2. Uncomfortable personal on the supercarrier during launch and recovery with shared_parser true setting

I go with number 2 for now. Looking forward what will be resolved first: trees or grapes ;-)

Important update:

The render errors are happening only with the HP Reverb and the shared_parser false setting.

Rendering in my Oculus Rift CV1 is correct with the shared_parser false setting.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: The different LOD for left and right eye was probably related to my defect HP Reverb (The HMD developed later also static white noise and blackouts until total breakdown). The replacement Reverb does not show this error. (Second possibility: It was fixed during an DCS update this month.)

(Not talking about the render error of the distant clouds, this is real in all headsets and still present on my replacement Reverb)

Edited by Motomouse