DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone

Ciribob

Ciribob

I don't know if this helps but I use VB Voicemeeter to manage my audio and when I moved to Win10 I had to install ASIO4ALL as there weren't suitable drivers for Voicemeeter in Win10.

Perhaps there could be something in ASIO4ALL that might help.

Thanks! Looks interesting :)

Ya know features like this are great... But a little confusing when testing in a live environment!

Last day of blue flag I was flying along in a Huey and got shot up. When I couldn't make contact with my wingman I assumed SRS had crapped out. It wasn't until we got on teamspeak I realized SR was fine...MY RADIOS WERE BOLOXED!

Well played sir...well played!

Sierra

I did that the first time while testing... Thought I'd broken it! :thumbup:

The end transmission sound I think would get a little jarring after a while. Maybe it could be softened it up a tad?

Hows about this (reversed one)? Its the Mic click on but reversed. Makes sense as its the same circuit disengaging...?

mic_squech.zip

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

.....In other news - Does this sound ok for Mic click on and off and the encryption audio?

Not got the Radio effects for Receiving in yet.

Sounds about right to my ears, but volume of the squelch effects related to the volume of the audio voice will be the key regarding irritability as some have mentioned.

I'm sure you listened to some of the Huey mission Vietnam radio chatter or the US carrier ops chatter on YouTube - they give a good example of squelch breaks in RF.

The more modern the radio I've found the auto squelch circuitry is better and a simple mic click is audible as just a click. The older ones you get a lot more RF noise before that is clipped off, just as in your example.

modern radios... received on a scanner I believe...

Edited by Gizzy
added a few links for others maybe?

SIGBLOCK.png

Weirdly that shows the LOS system is working exactly right as your transmissions would be missing each other completely as Gizzy says.

Yes true

Whether that's correct IRL behaviour, I don't know and I assume not (lots of reflection as you're very close) but I can tweak the amount of "bend" on the radio waves.

You assume correctly :D

Would you mind doing an experiment for me?

If you open up your DCS-SimpleRadioStandalone.lua in the scripts directory, check this line:

https://github.com/ciribob/DCS-SimpleRadioStandalone/blob/master/Scripts/DCS-SimpleRadioStandalone.lua#L302

table.insert(_result,{id = _client.id, los = terrain.isVisible(SR.lastKnownPos.x,SR.lastKnownPos.y+3.0,SR.lastKnownPos.z,_client.x,_client.y+3.0,_client.z) })

You'll see there are two +3.0 in the line. Change those to +5.0 and get your friend to transmit again and see if you can hear him. Make sure to reload the mission if you make changes so DCS picks up the changes.

That +3 is a point 3 meters above the center point of your aircraft and if you find a better value that works, say +5.0 then I'll add that in the next release for a little more radio bending :)

Annoyingly, there is now way to determine how far off Line of sight you are, just whether you have LOS or not without doing a lot more calculations and slowing down DCS.

Will do and report back.

Thanks!

Aviate - Navigate - Communicate

New Testing Version

He's the first version of the new build for testing if you want to give it a go. PLEASE dont use for anything but private tests with a few users as this will not work against public servers :)

Changelog

• New Server Side option - IRL Radio Tx Behaviour - Means that when transmitting you can't hear on that radio :)
  • Adjusted line of sight offset to 10 meters per feedback
  • Added KY-58 Encryption audio for transmitting client start and end. Not yet played for receiving encrypted audio
  • Added Receiving / transmitting Start and End Squelch / Click
  • Fixed import bug reported (and fixed!) by Dart :)
  • Added Gazelle Intercom
  • Fixed Bf-109 Radio
  • Added Audio Separation option for Intercom
  • Added client side option for disabling / enabling Radio squelch / mic click
  • Fixed C/RAD Wrong way round - Thanks Dojo & Siera99

Please don't download unless you want to help test. There is no guarantee you'll be able to connect to the non test client / servers or that this version will work... :D !

EDIT: Removed testing version for now.

RELEASE Version is here: https://github.com/ciribob/DCS-SimpleRadioStandalone/releases/latest

Edited by Ciribob

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

Hey Ciribob, Just noticed the wrong radios are connected to the KY-58 in the A-10C.

C/RAD 1 should enable voice encryption on the UHF radio.

PLAIN should disable all encryption.

C/RAD 2 should enables voice encryption on the VHF/FM radio.

Radio 1 and 3 are swapped.

Sierra

Edited by Sierra99

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

New Testing Version

He's the first version of the new build for testing if you want to give it a go :)

Changelog

• New Server Side option - IRL Radio Tx Behaviour - Means that when transmitting you can't hear on that radio :)
  • Adjusted line of sight offset to 10 meters per feedback
  • Added KY-58 Encryption audio for transmitting client start and end. Not yet played for receiving encrypted audio
  • Added Receiving / transmitting Start and End Squelch / Click
  • Fixed import bug reported (and fixed!) by Dart :)
  • Added Gazelle Intercom
  • Fixed Bf-109 Radio
  • Added Audio Separation option for Intercom
  • Added client side option for disabling / enabling Radio squelch / mic click

Dude. Seriously. Too F*()&ing awesome.

We'll be putting this through its paces soon and of course will report back as per usual.

Sierra's note is correct, btw.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That seems very strange. What happens if you try the Preview Audio button on the DCS-SRS Client with your Rift Mic selected. Do you hear ok then?

When I preview the audio with the rift Mic, I can hear myself fine, but with a 1 second delay, is there anyway to make it so that when I speak only others can hear me, but I can't hear my self?

It also sounds like somewhere you've got "Listen to microphone" ticked which is usually under the sound panel in Windows somewhere. Do you have any other audio effects software that might conflict?

There is genuinely no code other than the preview audio button that will send your audio from the mic, back to your speakers so this is very puzzling...

I checked all the recording devices, non of them have the option ticked, the only software that I have that might qualify is Bendicam and Realtek HD Audio Manager.

Hey Ciribob, Just noticed the wrong radios are connected to the KY-58 in the A-10C.

C/RAD 1 should enable voice encryption on the UHF radio.

PLAIN should disable all encryption.

C/RAD 2 should enables voice encryption on the VHF/FM radio.

Radio 1 and 2 are swapped.

Sierra

Fixed - Download the testing one again. Thanks for reporting! :)

Dude. Seriously. Too F*()&ing awesome.

We'll be putting this through its paces soon and of course will report back as per usual.

Sierra's note is correct, btw.

Well.. it might not work but thanks for testing! :)

When I preview the audio with the rift Mic, I can hear myself fine, but with a 1 second delay, is there anyway to make it so that when I speak only others can hear me, but I can't hear my self?

I checked all the recording devices, non of them have the option ticked, the only software that I have that might qualify is Bendicam and Realtek HD Audio Manager.

OK so if the preview audio is working for the Rift Mic, it should also work through the radio as normal, hopefully. Would you mind trying that again?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

1 and 3! 1 and 3! I screwed up! Please tell me you're smarter than me and swapped 1 and 3!

Sierra...������

No Worries, think I got it right :P

Just tested it, no one can hear me through the rift microphone for some reason.

Hi Ciribob,

I thought I would post my clientlog.txt in hopes it might provide a clue to whats going on. Please let me know if you want me to test anything.

Thanks a lot.

Nothing obvious in there, no errors other then when you disconnect which is correct.

This may sound like a silly question but are you connected to teamspeak when you're testing and is that where you are hearing some audio from?

Also when testing with the Rift Mic, are you seeing the PTT light light up bright green on the selected radio and are your friends seeing the incoming radio on their radios (frequency goes white)? Or are they just receiving nothing?

If its nothing, i'd double check your server settings. Turn off LOS, Distance and coalition limitations and all jump in F15s on the ground at an airfield.

Sorry for the trouble, we'll get there. :)

Nothing obvious in there, no errors other then when you disconnect which is correct.

This may sound like a silly question but are you connected to teamspeak when you're testing and is that where you are hearing some audio from?

Also when testing with the Rift Mic, are you seeing the PTT light light up bright green on the selected radio and are your friends seeing the incoming radio on their radios (frequency goes white)? Or are they just receiving nothing?

If its nothing, i'd double check your server settings. Turn off LOS, Distance and coalition limitations and all jump in F15s on the ground at an airfield.

Sorry for the trouble, we'll get there. :)

Not a silly question at all....:) I am happy to provide as much data as I can....and really appreciate your help. Yes I am usually connected to teamspeak when we are testing, but i have the microphone muted, I tried turning team speak off as well, but was still getting an echo....don't remember if I tried turning off teamspeak with the rift microphone....but I can test that soon. When I was testing it with the rift microphone I see the PTT green light and my friends see the green light on their side too, but no sound comes out. I will try the recommended server settings and report back soon. The echo sounds like there are multiple sound inputs going into the same device, but I checked all the possible playback and recording devices, and can't figure out where the interference is coming from.

Update

In other news - Does this sound ok for Mic click on and off and the encryption audio?

Not got the Radio effects for Receiving in yet.

Sounds great, just missing the tone when switching on the KY-58. You should hear the KY-58 constant alarm tone (as in the sample files we provided via dropbox) when the KY-58 is powered on, this sounds until you cancel it by pressing any PTT.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Hey Ciribob,

Eddie, myself, and a few others have begun to test the new version. Biggest feedback thus far is on the mic clicks. Eddie has already pointed out the missing opening tone on the KY-58 in the previous post.

For the actual clicks themselves, in our opinion, the best sound you've got is the opening sound when the KY-58 is enabled. Not the beep, but the underlying "click sound" that you're playing simultaneously. Sort of the "thump" opening. Our opinion is that this sound should be used for both the open and closing mic click for all radios, not the ones you're currently using.

Because my gibberish above may not be clear, here's another video with an almost identical version (it's TARS) although yours is already crisper:

At the 40 second mark, you should hear someone come over comms with the open. Of course, in this example, there was no close. That same sound should be heard on both the open and release.

We haven't gone wide with the update yet, so no feedback from the group on performance, but hopefully soon. Solid so far!

Edited by Dojo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not a silly question at all....:) I am happy to provide as much data as I can....and really appreciate your help. Yes I am usually connected to teamspeak when we are testing, but i have the microphone muted, I tried turning team speak off as well, but was still getting an echo....don't remember if I tried turning off teamspeak with the rift microphone....but I can test that soon. When I was testing it with the rift microphone I see the PTT green light and my friends see the green light on their side too, but no sound comes out. I will try the recommended server settings and report back soon. The echo sounds like there are multiple sound inputs going into the same device, but I checked all the possible playback and recording devices, and can't figure out where the interference is coming from.

Hmm I'll send you a PM and see if we can schedule a time to maybe test together?

Sounds great, just missing the tone when switching on the KY-58. You should hear the KY-58 constant alarm tone (as in the sample files we provided via dropbox) when the KY-58 is powered on, this sounds until you cancel it by pressing any PTT.

Yup. to do that I'm going to need to rework a lot of the audio handling as its a bit of a mess internally at the moment but I will :)

Hey Ciribob,

Eddie, myself, and a few others have begun to test the new version. Biggest feedback thus far is on the mic clicks. Eddie has already pointed out the missing opening tone on the KY-58 in the previous post.

For the actual clicks themselves, in our opinion, the best sound you've got is the opening sound when the KY-58 is enabled. Not the beep, but the underlying "click sound" that you're playing simultaneously. Sort of the "thump" opening. Our opinion is that this sound should be used for both the open and closing mic click for all radios, not the ones you're currently using.

Because my gibberish above may not be clear, here's another video with an almost identical version (it's TARS) although yours is already crisper:

At the 40 second mark, you should hear someone come over comms with the open. Of course, in this example, there was no close. That same sound should be heard on both the open and release.

We haven't gone wide with the update yet, so no feedback from the group on performance, but hopefully soon. Solid so far!

Thanks for testing! I've pulled out that part of the audio. Attached is a sample.

The first part is the normal sample, and the second sound is the sample reversed for the mic click release. What do you think?

Apologies, not going to be able to work much on it this week or next as it stands at the moment.

RX+TX-Test.zip

Thanks for testing! I've pulled out that part of the audio. Attached is a sample.

The first part is the normal sample, and the second sound is the sample reversed for the mic click release. What do you think?

Apologies, not going to be able to work much on it this week or next as it stands at the moment.

That works! Just to be clear, I'm assuming that your sample is just the two sounds side by side for our comparison, not a literal instantaneous click/release (i.e. the natural click/release with no transmission should have no delay between them... which enables a pilot to produce a "zipper", usually with a double tap.)

We also did some extensive testing today with 3 A-10s at the NTTR. The scenerio had all 3 jets hot start at the NTTR, right next to each other. No issue getting the radios on, and comms established, and the software had no stability issues throughout the ~30 minute test session. Test results below:

1. When transmitting, the mic clicks are heard repeatedly. All 3 testers experienced the following: Pilot 1 transmits, both pilots 2 and 3 hear the mic click sound effect intermittently throughout the transmission, at the rate of about one click per 2 seconds. I suspect that this is an issue of quality when receiving the transmission based on the following 3 points: a) we used Windows joy.cpl to confirm the mic switch itself wasn't "flickering", b) the transmission itself is never broken, just a bunch of mic clicks througout, and c) the transmitter never hears the repeated clicks, just the receivers.

2. Blocking (i.e. the new "IRL Tx Behavior"). When Pilot 1 transmits, Pilot 2 also starts to transmit. Pilot 1 and 2 do not hear each other at all (great job!). However, Pilot 3 is hearing both pilots speak clearly, which wouldn't be the case. Conceivably, with all 3 pilots sitting next to each other, as we were at the beginning of the test, this would be somewhat reasonable, though perhaps not as clear as it is at the moment. As the distance of the pilots between each other changes, the expectation would be that a number of factors (e.g. the harmonics of the system, LoS, signal type, signal strength, etc) would cause Pilot 3 to be unable to hear the other two pilots at all, and the transmission should be quite garbled. Another consideration,if Pilot 1 was far from Pilots 2 and 3, while both Pilots 1 and 2 transmitted, Pilot 3 is more likely to hear some, if any, of Pilot 2's transmission, and essentially none of Pilot 1's transmit. But generally, erring on the side of Pilot 3 hearing garbled transmissions no matter the case would be more accurate for all scenarios.

Here is a BMS video which illustrates a 3rd party hearing the garble while two other pilots transmit. I linked it at 20:52. At 20:58, you will hear a "warbly" sound, which is an example effect (but not THE effect, as there are many different types for garbles you'll hear, depending on cause... but just wanted to provide an example). Apologies for the music, we tried to find a clean example.

Separate note: We're aware you haven't implemented HAVE QUICK. There is a "conference" capability there that would make it reasonable for Pilot 3 to hear both Pilot's 1 and 2 while they simultaneously transmitted.

3. I might have downloaded the wrong version, assuming you fixed the "C/RAD 1 to C/RAD 2" mix up. In our test today, where we fresh downloaded the zip, we were getting C/RAD 1 as FM, and C/RAD 2 as UHF, which of course should be the other way around. Please let me know if we had the wrong file some how, or if you hadn't updated it yet.

4. LoS - Line of Sight is working as you know, however (and I believe that this has reported before), it's quite binary at the moment. Where there should be a reduction in quality due to diffraction before the cutoff, but not "necessarily" a complete cut off immediately. I can't remember if you already acknowledged this or not, I know this is all still WIP, but I'll leave you with this image of diffraction for now, and if you need help with formulaic description or implementation of the phenomenon, we can probably get you on TS with a couple of our guys to describe it better than I can. Of course, the performance would be different between AM and FM radios, but that's for another time ;)

5. Distance effects: Don't appear to be working at all. We started with jets right next to each other, and then had Pilot 1 progressively jump into hot air started jets that were 75 and then 145nm away, and once LoS was established, there was no quality degredation whatsoever. e.g. Pilot 1, at 145nm sounded no different to Pilot's 2 and 3 did to each other, and they were within 5nm of each other.

That's all for now! Of note, we upgraded to the test version, and downgraded to the release version with absolutely no problem. (though we have two separate server instances setup). And it's little things like this that make Simple Radio a jewel.

7-diffraction-and-interference-9-638.jpg?cb=1381475035

Edited by Dojo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

To my ear the "pop" is to pronounced on the first version. The squelch tail should be noticeable but not the center of attention"

Otherwise sounds GREAT!

Sierra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

That works! Just to be clear, I'm assuming that your sample is just the two sounds side by side for our comparison, not a literal instantaneous click/release (i.e. the natural click/release with no transmission should have no delay between them... which enables a pilot to produce a "zipper", usually with a double tap.)

Yes to samples stuck together with a small gap to show click and release :)

We also did some extensive testing today with 3 A-10s at the NTTR. The scenerio had all 3 jets hot start at the NTTR, right next to each other. No issue getting the radios on, and comms established, and the software had no stability issues throughout the ~30 minute test session. Test results below:

1. When transmitting, the mic clicks are heard repeatedly. All 3 testers experienced the following: Pilot 1 transmits, both pilots 2 and 3 hear the mic click sound effect intermittently throughout the transmission, at the rate of about one click per 2 seconds. I suspect that this is an issue of quality when receiving the transmission based on the following 3 points: a) we used Windows joy.cpl to confirm the mic switch itself wasn't "flickering", b) the transmission itself is never broken, just a bunch of mic clicks througout, and c) the transmitter never hears the repeated clicks, just the receivers.

2. Blocking (i.e. the new "IRL Tx Behavior"). When Pilot 1 transmits, Pilot 2 also starts to transmit. Pilot 1 and 2 do not hear each other at all (great job!). However, Pilot 3 is hearing both pilots speak clearly, which wouldn't be the case. Conceivably, with all 3 pilots sitting next to each other, as we were at the beginning of the test, this would be somewhat reasonable, though perhaps not as clear as it is at the moment. As the distance of the pilots between each other changes, the expectation would be that a number of factors (e.g. the harmonics of the system, LoS, signal type, signal strength, etc) would cause Pilot 3 to be unable to hear the other two pilots at all, and the transmission should be quite garbled. Another consideration,if Pilot 1 was far from Pilots 2 and 3, while both Pilots 1 and 2 transmitted, Pilot 3 is more likely to hear some, if any, of Pilot 2's transmission, and essentially none of Pilot 1's transmit. But generally, erring on the side of Pilot 3 hearing garbled transmissions no matter the case would be more accurate for all scenarios.

Here is a BMS video which illustrates a 3rd party hearing the garble while two other pilots transmit. I linked it at 20:52. At 20:58, you will hear a "warbly" sound, which is an example effect (but not THE effect, as there are many different types for garbles you'll hear, depending on cause... but just wanted to provide an example). Apologies for the music, we tried to find a clean example.

Separate note: We're aware you haven't implemented HAVE QUICK. There is a "conference" capability there that would make it reasonable for Pilot 3 to hear both Pilot's 1 and 2 while they simultaneously transmitted.

3. I might have downloaded the wrong version, assuming you fixed the "C/RAD 1 to C/RAD 2" mix up. In our test today, where we fresh downloaded the zip, we were getting C/RAD 1 as FM, and C/RAD 2 as UHF, which of course should be the other way around. Please let me know if we had the wrong file some how, or if you hadn't updated it yet.

4. LoS - Line of Sight is working as you know, however (and I believe that this has reported before), it's quite binary at the moment. Where there should be a reduction in quality due to diffraction before the cutoff, but not "necessarily" a complete cut off immediately. I can't remember if you already acknowledged this or not, I know this is all still WIP, but I'll leave you with this image of diffraction for now, and if you need help with formulaic description or implementation of the phenomenon, we can probably get you on TS with a couple of our guys to describe it better than I can. Of course, the performance would be different between AM and FM radios, but that's for another time ;)

5. Distance effects: Don't appear to be working at all. We started with jets right next to each other, and then had Pilot 1 progressively jump into hot air started jets that were 75 and then 145nm away, and once LoS was established, there was no quality degredation whatsoever. e.g. Pilot 1, at 145nm sounded no different to Pilot's 2 and 3 did to each other, and they were within 5nm of each other.

That's all for now! Of note, we upgraded to the test version, and downgraded to the release version with absolutely no problem. (though we have two separate server instances setup). And it's little things like this that make Simple Radio a jewel.

7-diffraction-and-interference-9-638.jpg?cb=1381475035

1. Thanks for the detailed test and report! I'm going to have a spend a little while re-doing how audio is handled to fix this properly, at the moment the mic clicks are a bit of a bodge.

2. Making two transmissions received on the same radio always garbled i'll do then but again it will require a rewrite of the Audio system. I'll have another look at the documents you sent over about the have quick feature :) Out of interest, does Aries and UniversRadio simulate this blocking when receiving two transmissions?

3. I'll double check but might've uploaded the wrong file... Apologies. Its a quick fix if so :)

4. LoS - Its completely binary at the moment, either in sight or not. What i'll do to simulate bending better is sample a few different offsets above the transmitting and receiving aircraft.

Something like:

+0 Height - LoS true

+10 Height - LoS true

+20 Height - LoS true

+30 Height - LoS false

+40 Height - LoS false

+50 Height - LoS false

Having a few different samples means I can then apply an algorithm to say if we're off by X amount lose this much DB from the receiving audio so you'll hear it fade slowly if you're descending slowly.

5. Distance is working but there are no fade effects or noise effects. Again its binary, either in range or not. Currently its a pretty long range which can easily be reduced but is depending on transmitter frequency. More here: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2876893&postcount=558

Minimum Receive power is set to -90dBm

If you take a transmission at 254MHz you'll be able to hear up to 240 miles (at co-altitude) but then it'll abruptly cut off. Again I will work on this but need to re-do the audio engine to do so...

If you change that to just 3MHz you'll get over a 1000 miles but unless your crazy high the earth will get in the way :P

If anyone can provide a better minimum receive power that would be great! Or if this table gets completed I could actually do it per radio: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tzd996zJ1t0heZ-t1PpL7vNUIZbXl7pI6De0GThN1Qw/edit#gid=621051887 :)

I really can't express my thanks enough at such a detailed test, its incredibly helpful!!! :)

I've taken down the test version for now and I'll start on the rewrite of the audio engine. As this is like 50% of the code it'll be a bit slow (as in a few weeks at least) but in theory once done I can have all the nice audio effects implemented which can then be tweaked (amount of static, ranges etc) with a bit more testing and then the project will be at a very good place!

I'll also investigate WDM as an alternative to direct input. I've noticed TS has both and you can switch between them which is what i'll aim for. WDM is annoying to work with though so it may get abandoned!

Thanks again everyone for your help and patience with the project! I'll post updates intermittently but as I say progress will be a bit slow for a while all audio handling is rewritten. Hopefully the current stable version will tide you all over :)

Some very good news, I think I can speak for everyone who's using this when I say we can happily wait a few weeks. More subtle loss of comms quality over distance and with terrain masking would be fantastic and well worth waiting for.

Regarding point 2 in your post, Aries did model blocking/interference when two or more aircraft were transmitting, although I can't remember the exact audio effects used. Not sure if UR did, my memory fails me.

We will happily run some more in depth tests in the future if and when needed.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

I really can't express my thanks enough at such a detailed test, its incredibly helpful!!! :)

Thanks again everyone for your help and patience with the project! I'll post updates intermittently but as I say progress will be a bit slow for a while all audio handling is rewritten. Hopefully the current stable version will tide you all over :)

NO! Thank you!

and +1 to what Eddie said. We'll be standing by.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The lower the frequency, the less impact the earth has on the propagation of radio waves. 3Mhz radio transmitters will transmit around the world due to ground hopping of the radio waves and reflections performed by the ionosphere, more at night than during daytime.

Theoretically, two Mi8's on opposite sides of the planet can use their Yadro HF radio to communicate with each other.

Will the terrain masking take into account the curvature of the earth if that's been implemented in the map?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

The lower the frequency, the less impact the earth has on the propagation of radio waves. 3Mhz radio transmitters will transmit around the world due to ground hopping of the radio waves and reflections performed by the ionosphere, more at night than during daytime.

Theoretically, two Mi8's on opposite sides of the planet can use their Yadro HF radio to communicate with each other.

Will the terrain masking take into account the curvature of the earth if that's been implemented in the map?

Yes, I'm directly using the DCS map through EDs Export.lua and the inbuilt DCS line of sight function so as long as the map supports curvature of the earth, which is does from 1.5 and 2.0, then its taken into account. :)