How good is the Huey?

-0303-

Man I love the Huey! :pilotfly:

It's just incredibly fun to fly in VR once you get the hang of it.

Agreed . The Hornet has been my one true love since the 90's , but in VR , i'm spending 3/4 of my hours in the Huey .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Agreed . The Hornet has been my one true love since the 90's , but in VR , i'm spending 3/4 of my hours in the Huey .

I just can't choose between the two. ;) Most of the time I fly the Hornet first, then conclude my session with a bit of relaxing in the Huey. It soothes me, don't know why. That's why I love it so much! :detective_2:

I just can't choose between the two. ;) Most of the time I fly the Hornet first, then conclude my session with a bit of relaxing in the Huey. It soothes me, don't know why. That's why I love it so much! :detective_2:

Yeah, it's hard to explain how nice it is. When it first came out, I wrote that it took me back to MicroProse's Gunship! days. Even with the polygon mountains, it was such a BLAST!

And the Huey sim brings back that joy. Wonderful module, no doubt about it.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

As my first foray into helos , it greatly increased my appreciation of just how much effort ED puts into their graphics . I didn't realise the trees have bark , for example , or how detailed the new trains are .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Good point. I guess I didn’t realize they used different speed measurements. Good to know!

As a sidenote, all Russian made aircraft have speed in kmh displayed, except the MiG-29G, which is essentialy an A version upgraded for the german Luftwaffe.

Same for altitude with meters instead of feet.

Anyway, the Huey is realy a joy to fly, if it only had the multicrew stuff already..... when we get it, i have already a few people to train them in helo flying :D

Go for it, enjoy it, pure flying without helping systems ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.

You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind."

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett

I would pay for a complete new overhaul of the Huey (updated 3D/texture/multiplayer) even though I bought the original one.

So would I, but we'll see what's in store:

0XMmb3F.png

This was my question after I read the newsletter describing the Ka-50's updates...

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

So would I, but we'll see what's in store:

0XMmb3F.png

This was my question after I read the newsletter describing the Ka-50's updates...

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3882240&postcount=42

it turned out that it was necessary to fix not only the engine, but also the Main Rotor dynamics. Therefore, the process has gone quite deep. We apologize for the wait, but we have to redo engine+Main Rotor performance thoroughly, otherwise we need crutches in modeling, which we really don't like.

Besides, who is able to answer the questions that we still have about the engine, we will be grateful for the help (see the attachment).

:)

I know. I was referring to visual updates, to make both the Huey and Mi-8 finally compatible with DCS 2.5.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Well, my guess is they will, but since the KA-50 and then the A-10C are first in line, and will take a considerable amount of work, the UH-1H & Mi-8 come after that. And with the Huey they will redo the entire engine and rotor performance as well, so it's only logical they don't comment already because it's gonna take a while.

This community is not well known for it's patience. ;)

Edited by dawgie79

Is it possible to move the stick to a position under normal speeds where the Huey insta-dies?

I do that all the time. It just drops. Sometimes it catches on fire first.

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

I do that all the time. It just drops. Sometimes it catches on fire first.

Cyclic over-deflection , or negative gs or too-rapid unloading of collective + flapping rotors = mast bumping . Chuck's guide for Huey has a very nice section on principles of helicopter flying

Edited by Svsmokey

The Huey is an excellent choice for a first chopper.

Always remember that the main body swings under the blades, an adjustment in the cyclic may instantaneous change the blades but the body of the chopper will swing its weight in the direction it was travelling. Learn to think ahead and compensate for this lag of input to reaction.

The MI-8 is as good as it gets in DCS, full study sim perfection. cockpit needs a revamp to the current graphics engine but it is coming.

the KA-50 is a sublime Attack chopper in DCS and it will just get better. This module pulled me back into sims and then some!

When you are moving fast and need to manoeuvre, go left lad... go left. It is predictable but you can out turn anything.... anytime!

The pedals are equally as important as any other controller in this machine.

The Gazelle sets a new standard in any combat helicopter simulator in my book and in my book, I played it all. I started when microprose gunship was first released and apart from a gap of 10 - 15 years (nothing of interest was around) I played everything chopper.

Only team apache came close to what the gazelle achieves now. The flight model is not perfect but the limitations of the machine and how you have to crawl well within the range of the fabulously superior Russian air defences is simply pure bliss!

This nasty little French girl belongs in the top echelon of hunters, and boy does she have what she needs to do her job.

Not enough weapons, not enough power, but you will learn very quickly how a roof mounted optical sight is just the bonus a true hunter requires.

Looking forward to the little guys (OH-58D, OH-6 - AH6 littlebird, Lynx AH-7).

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

The real one is easier to fly..

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

• 3 weeks later...

Bought the Huey, the Ka and the Hip this year, wasn't keen on the Gazelle, too many complaints as of now.

What can I say, imediately stopped flying jets and I have them all. Somehow the Huey gets all my love now. It is just that good. Mi 8 is awesome too but a little easier on you if you manage to avoid VRS. Actually Mi 8 and Huey are the best modules in DCS, they are unbelievable satisfying to fly.

Never ever did I have a blade accident with the Ka by the way, friends of mine had, weird. I think we all overspeed the Shark or at least go pretty fast with it, I try to avoid this and that maybe helps.

Biggest problem for me is still taking off in the Helos, I have trouble to know what the aircraft is going to do which gives me a wobble sometimes.

Get the Mi 8 and the Huey !!!

The real one is easier to fly..

most probably

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Buy mfg crosswind pedals, heavy as hell, they feel like a real set and the guy that makes them is a pleasure to deal with.

Yeah...if you have 320€ lying around to blow on flight sim pedals.:music_whistling: