Configuring the axes of a new device on M-2000C crashes DCS

Redglyph

DCS 1.5.5.60565.216

Steps to reproduce:

- launch DCS

- click on the settings icon (so from the main page, not in a mission)

- click on CONTROLS

- select M-2000C

- click on Axis Assign

- change settings (for my part, I clear the pitch / roll / thrust from the rudder pedal settings, I don't think it makes much sense)

- click on OK

=> black screen, DCS does not respond, has to be killed.

dcs.log in attachment, has the following relevant error message:

00102.717 ALERT LUACOMMON: Error: GUI Error: [string "./Scripts/Input\Data.lua"]:1611: attempt to index local 'defaultCommand' (a nil value)

GUI debug.traceback: stack traceback:

[C]: ?

[string "./Scripts/Input\Data.lua"]:1611: in function 'getCommandAddedCombos_'

[string "./Scripts/Input\Data.lua"]:1667: in function 'getKeyCommandDiff_'

[string "./Scripts/Input\Data.lua"]:1686: in function 'getKeyDiffs_'

[string "./Scripts/Input\Data.lua"]:1749: in function 'saveDeviceProfile'

[string "./Scripts/Input\Data.lua"]:1871: in function 'saveChanges'

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/Options\TabViewControls.lua"]:82: in function 'save'

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/Options\TabsView.lua"]:211: in function 'onOptionsSaved'

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/Options\Controller.lua"]:65: in function 'optionsSaved'

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/Options\Data.lua"]:151: in function 'saveChanges'

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_options.lua"]:98: in function 'onChange'

[string "./dxgui/bind/Button.lua"]:22: in function 'callback'

[string "./dxgui/bind/Widget.lua"]:318: in function <[string "./dxgui/bind/Widget.lua"]:313>

I have tried a few others, but it is only happening for this aircraft, it is 100% repeatable.

I see no other work-around than

- setting up the controls in 2.0.4 (2.0.4.59428.142), and copying the file in 1.5.5,

- starting any mission to set up the axes.

Once the file exists, the crash does not occur anymore, otherwise all attemps I've made to create this file by changing anything from the main settings produces the crash.

Or perhaps copying the so-called "default configuration" file, if one doesn't have the 2.0.4, I haven't tried.

dcs.log.txt

Edited by Redglyph
emphasize "work-around" for people not reading past the title

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

That work around is not working for me. Still crashes DCS. Bit annoying as the only reason I am having a problem is that I have bought a new stick and pedals.

• Windows 10 Home - 64 Bit
  • Intel Core i7-9770K
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti
  • Oculus Rift S

try deleting the files located in:

C:\Users\YOUR NAME\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\M-2000C

The game will recreate them and you can start from scratch.

The bug is ugly as not only happens to some and not to others but it can happen several times in a row while trying to assign a key or axis then suddenly disappear 3rd time you try or at some point if you are relentless. I tried once to record a movie while it happened and it simply vanished :) .

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

I find it that if you go into Singleplayer mission and configure the keybindings while in the game it won't crash on you.

Tho for now try to bind like 10 or so binds before saving them by pressing OK.

Then go bind another 10 binds or something.

Cus sometimes if you bind to many keybinds even if you press OK nothing will happen and the binds won't save

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Youtube

Reddit

I'm getting this in 2.0 now. However it hasn't happened in there before and I have been able to copy that profile to 1.5. I was just making some changes though and it crashed DCS. Really annoying!

• Windows 10 Home - 64 Bit
  • Intel Core i7-9770K
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti
  • Oculus Rift S

Yes - having set up every module in DCS (except the two WWII Luftwaffe ones) with my new HOTAS, this only happens with the Mirage. It means having to use the keyboard (i.e. it means not flying the Mirage) as every time I click on OK it crashes DCS World.

Very disappointing as this was my fave newer module. I'm not prepared to mess around as I already had to do enough of that with this sim and I'm pretty sick of it, so I won't be using the Mirage until it is fixed.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

I can confirm that this is happening to me too. In DCS 1.5.5.6065.216, if I try to change any setting (axis or button) then once I press OK DCS crashes (black screen). I have tried deleting the directory C:\Users\<user>\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\M-2000C. After doing this all my mappings are indeed back to default, but if I change anything and then press OK DCS crashes (black screen).

This does not happen with other modules in 1.5.5

This does not happen at all to me with the Mirage in 2.0.4.59428.142

Okay, I was able to load my own profile by using the after mission start assignments as mentioned in a post above.

Tho for now try to bind like 10 or so binds before saving them by pressing OK.

Then go bind another 10 binds or something.

This didn't work, though - just assigning a single control was enough and it crashed.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Same problem here but with the new viggen. 1.5.6

One has to configure in-game, in the UI black screen-CTD

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

• 1 year later...
Still this bug is here in latest relase and open beta.. WTF !!

That one is weird. I never experienced it for instance. So it’s complicated to solve.

I think there should be some DCS crash log somewhere in DCS folders...it would be needed to look at it.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Still this bug is here in latest relase and open beta.. WTF !!

Had a similar problem with my AV-8B control settings (could edit in the cockpit but changes would crash DCS if edited via the GUI title page 'cog'

Moving the AV8BNA input folder and letting DCS recreate "Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\AV8BNA" fixed it but I had to remake my assignments. Looks like a conflict in the file was the problem.

Might be worth trying the same with "Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\M-2000C" as editing the M-2000C control setting is working ok for me.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

• 4 months later...

Anyway, this thread has not been seen by any dev since it's not [reported], we'll have to report it in DCS and hope it's caught there.

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR