Yaw to the left after landing - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-17-2018, 08:36 PM   #1
Irishlad200000

Default Yaw to the left after landing

Hi

Just about mastering the startup, takeoff and navigation in this old bird!

However after doing the perfect circuit (my RL Cessna instructor would be proud), I get wing touch after a massive yaw to the left! Prior to finals I have ensure that sideslip is spot on and straight. I know for take off we have full rudder trim right. Should I be doing that just as I touch down or does anyone else have a theory?

Cheers in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Irishlad200000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:04 PM   #2
John C Flett

It's called ground loop and it can be a real issue with tail draggers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(aviation)

I've not played the DCS Spit myself but it's a problem I've had with a lot of aircraft in DCS, IL-2, RoF etc.

Best general advice I can give from my experience is not to land too fast and decelerate slowly. A too rapid stop is one cause I suffered from. Also, counterintuatively, increase power to increase airflow over your control surfaces and thus control.
John C Flett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:22 PM   #3
westr

I’m instantly on the brakes dabbing them the moment I’m down with the spit whilst maintaining a straight line with the rudders this prevents the severe yawing and wing tipping for me, once some off the speed has scrubbed off I pull the stick aft and keep dabbing the brakes to slow her right down.
westr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:49 PM   #4
cromhunt

Take the time to watch this video,please, several times if necessary.
http://cromhunt.proboards.com/thread...tfire-practice
http://cromhunt.proboards.com/thread...birds-landings
Note the parameters and try to reproduce the instructions. It is not as difficult as it seems and a little training should suffice. But above all, you have to be patient.
see you next time

Last edited by cromhunt; 11-17-2018 at 11:02 PM.
cromhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 06:54 AM   #5
Captain Orso

You should read this thread: ESSAY, PART 3: Landing and stopping.

System Specs.
Spoiler:
System board ... MSI X99A GAMING 9 ACK
CPU ............ Intel Core i7-5820K @ 3800MHz per OC Genie
CPU cooling .... Noctua NH-D15
Memory ......... 16GB DDR4-3000 G.Skill Ripjaw
PSU ............ Corsair AX860i PSU
Graphics card .. Zotac Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme
System disk .... SanDisk Extreme PRO 480GB SSD
Monitor ........ ASUS MG279Q, 27"
VR ............. Oculus Rift CV1
Captain Orso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:40 AM   #6
Irishlad200000

Cheers guys! Will take all onboard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Irishlad200000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:16 AM   #7
VH-Rock

Send a message via MSN to VH-Rock

VH-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:51 AM   #8
Reflected

You don't even need to apply brakes if you catch it early enough:

https://youtu.be/FziIiH8_Kpw

"The Big Show" Spitfire Mk.IX Campaign
My DCS Skins
B350 Gaming Plus / Ryzen 5 1600 X @ 3,9 / MSI GeForce GTX1070 8192 / 16 GB RAM / Samsung PM961 512 SSD / MS FFB 2 / TM Warthog throttle / Saitek ProFlight pedals / Oculus Rift CV1
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:07 PM   #9
DD_Fenrir

What Reflected said

Don't touch down too slow or stall and drop in from height above 2-3ft (1m).

Try and synchronise lifting the nose into the flare attitude with the rate of descent as she settles.

Once on terra firma and you're sure she's not got enough speed to lift off, stick full back.

Now don't pat yourself on the back and relax! You are not done till you're sitting back at the pan with the engine off, so concentrate!

Keep your eyes forward over the cowling, and use the inner range of your peripheral vision to keep track of landmarks on the horizon (if there are clouds they can be helpful too). As soon as you even suspect that there's movement, trust your instinct and get a sharp jab of rudder in to correct.

If you sit there thinking...

"Is the nose moving left...I think the nose is moving left... I'll just wait and make sure... yes it is, I'd better correct that"

Then by the time you've reached an affirmative confirmation in your own mind, it's too late. Catch it early and trust your instincts.

Golden Rule: Many shorter sharp inputs are better than one big long one.

You'll have plenty of airspeed for the rudder to be effective during the early part of the ground roll. Just like takeoff, keep the inputs short and sharp! Adding brakes too soon will throw you into the grass.

As you slow you'll start to feel that rudder alone isn't quite cutting the mustard; your inputs to keep her straight will become larger and longer; it's at this point you start bringing in a dab of brakes to help keep her in line. But keep dancing!

Last edited by DD_Fenrir; 11-19-2018 at 01:43 PM.
DD_Fenrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:35 AM   #10
=Pedro=

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD_Fenrir View Post
What Reflected said

Don't touch down too slow or stall and drop in from height above 2-3ft (1m).

Try and synchronise lifting the nose into the flare attitude with the rate of descent as she settles.

Once on terra firma and you're sure she's not got enough speed to lift off, stick full back.

Now don't pat yourself on the back and relax! You are not done till you're sitting back at the pan with the engine off, so concentrate!

Keep your eyes forward over the cowling, and use the inner range of your peripheral vision to keep track of landmarks on the horizon (if there are clouds they can be helpful too). As soon as you even suspect that there's movement, trust your instinct and get a sharp jab of rudder in to correct.

If you sit there thinking...

"Is the nose moving left...I think the nose is moving left... I'll just wait and make sure... yes it is, I'd better correct that"

Then by the time you've reached an affirmative confirmation in your own mind, it's too late. Catch it early and trust your instincts.

Golden Rule: Many shorter sharp inputs are better than one big long one.

You'll have plenty of airspeed for the rudder to be effective during the early part of the ground roll. Just like takeoff, keep the inputs short and sharp! Adding brakes too soon will throw you into the grass.

As you slow you'll start to feel that rudder alone isn't quite cutting the mustard; your inputs to keep her straight will become larger and longer; it's at this point you start bringing in a dab of brakes to help keep her in line. But keep dancing!