New gun AG pipper behavior.

DmitriKozlowsky

Now for AG gun pipper to work properly, there must be a target lock in DMT or via TPOD. Without AG tgt lock AG gun pipper is fixed.
Sounds like you either lost or had not aligned INS, maybe?

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

No, it looks like the A2A pipper. The unwinding tape indicating when you are within firing range is not showing.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Interesting. This pleases me if true.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Whaaa...? Why? It means it's broken; badly.

Read the NATOPS. They have specific diagrams on how AG targeting for gun and rockets work.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

So what exactly is the problem? I just quickly checked both Gun and Rocket pipper in the quick mission. Both work as they should! If you get an A/A pipper you are in air-to-air mode . In A/G mode the pipper, ranging cues and even the GPS/Terrain matrix corrected "HotGun" cross work like a charm... I can use it with INS/GPS only or in conjunction with the DMT/ARBS, all fine.

Again, my guess is, that you mess up the INS alignment or have damaged systems (internal systems damage is modeled since a couple updates).

Please fly the quick start mission "Gun and rocket" and provide a screenshot and the steps you took until the symbology changed.

You should simply need to set

-Master Arm ON

-select GUN on the Left MPCD

For Rockets choose

-L10 etc. and notice the Gun pipper replaced by a cross ( + ) while the pipper now shows the rockets point of impact. (Unless you deselect the GUN again)

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Whaaa...? Why? It means it's broken; badly.

Read the NATOPS. They have specific diagrams on how AG targeting for gun and rockets work.

When they have accurate range data. Where is that data coming from if not from the ARBS?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

When they have accurate range data. Where is that data coming from if not from the ARBS?
From the GPS and Terrain Matrix. Similar to the A-10Cs DTS. It's in that ominous manual, as well.
Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

The data is coming from CCIP. If you required a programmed target-point, then your sight would work ONLY on that target point. Think about how that would work... or more closely, not work at all.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

The data is coming from CCIP. If you required a programmed target-point, then your sight would work ONLY on that target point. Think about how that would work... or more closely, not work at all.
No, the Data for the Gun reticle in CCIP is calculated from INS/GPS position and vector and the Terrain Matrix (Digital Map) as long as all systems are ok.

Shagrat

No, the Data for the Gun reticle in CCIP is calculated from INS/GPS position and vector and the Terrain Matrix (Digital Map) as long as all systems are ok.

If you don't have any target height data, obtained by waypoint, or by placing an INS diamond on the map by other means, (GCIP, mark,TOO etc), you still have Radar alt, which will give a solution except in steepest terrain.

All of these methods are working OK for me.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

If you don't have any target height data, obtained by waypoint, or by placing an INS diamond on the map by other means, (GCIP, mark,TOO etc), you still have Radar alt, which will give a solution except in steepest terrain.

All of these methods are working OK for me.

Yep, same here. I get GCIP if I do not designate via other means, RCIP when low enough.

Only thing I find a bit weird is the Min/Max range cues seem a bit low with 2000ft/3600ft. I get the Pull Up warning way(!) before even close to the target and will definitely fly straight over it when I try to fire I inside the range cues... or am I supposed to get that close?

Shagrat

Altitude, HUD LOS and Target Elevation.

9uPslnL.jpg

Note: In the picture above the AV-8B is using RCIP i.e. the Radar Alt to calculate the CCIP solution.

Although changing between Baro Alt and Radar Alt changes the HUD altimeter reading, it does not change the CCIP's reticle position, so it seems that CCIP errors due to target elevation are not modelled.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

euo1fAL.jpg

Note: In the picture above the AV-8B is using RCIP i.e. the Radar Alt to calculate the CCIP solution.

Although changing between Baro Alt and Radar Alt changes the HUD altimeter reading, it does not change the CCIP's reticle position, so it seems that CCIP errors due to changing target elevation is not modelled.

When you just go to GUN you get the Altitude from GPS/INS indicated by GCIP.

Shagrat

When you just go to GUN you get the Altitude from GPS/INS indicated by GCIP.

It depends on your CCIP mode, with the Radar Altimeter enabled (and below 5,000 ft), you'll get RCIP indicated in the HUD as in my picture.

Tested Open Beta 2.5.5.34644

Edited by Ramsay
Confirmation test in 2.5.5.34644

i9 9900K @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

It depends on your CCIP mode, with the Radar Altimeter enabled (and below 5,000 ft), you'll get RCIP indicated in the HUD as in my picture.

Yep, depends on dive angle, speed etc. it starts with the GPS/Terrain Matrix and switches to RCIP under 5k ft.

The point is, a designation is not required.

Shagrat

The point is, a designation is not required.

AFAIK the currently selected waypoint elevation should be used as the target elevation but the waypoint it's self doesn't need to be designated.

2.2.1.3 GPS Altitude.

When using GPS altitude in CCIP mode, the waypoint/waypoint offset elevation or the last known target elevation is subtracted from GPS altitude to derive the height above target.

2.10.1.11 Factors Affecting Accuracy

a. Ranging errors.

Factors affecting the accuracy of barometric, radar altimeter, or radar AGR ranging are as follows:

1. Barometric Ranging

(e) Accurate target elevation entry into waypoint data.

Target designation using CCIP (at weapon release) or a manual TOO will update Lat and Long but I'm not sure what it uses as an elevation source or if it inherits the target altitude from the waypoint.

Edit: Checking NATOPS, TOO turns on the Radar Alt to measure target elevation,

• TOO elevation = Baro / GPS Altitude - Radar Altitude

... not sure what it does above 5,000 ft AGL.

Edited by Ramsay
TOO uses radar altitude

You don't need the RA switched on. You will still get the RCIP indicator displayed, but the Alt display remains the same.

I'm also using Target alt 0 (no waypoint). The radar is giving the solution.

Above that the GPS is giving the solution.

The results are the same, except for RA in the hills, where a waypoint Target alt is required..

TOO is a low level designator, The radar alt is turned on momentarily to put the diamond on the ground.

Edited by Holbeach

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

AFAIK the currently selected waypoint elevation should be used as the target elevation but the waypoint it's self doesn't need to be designated.

Target designation using CCIP (at weapon release) or a manual TOO will update Lat and Long but I'm not sure what it uses as an elevation source or if it inherits the target altitude from the waypoint.

Edit: Checking NATOPS, TOO turns on the Radar Alt to measure target elevation,

• TOO elevation = Baro / GPS Altitude - Radar Altitude

... not sure what it does above 5,000 ft AGL.

When using the GUN pipper in CCIP (continuously computed impact point) the default mode is GCIP (GPS elevation) using MC to compute the impact point continuously... without any designation of a target or a waypoint. When you get below 5k ft, the MC switches to RCIP (Radar altimeter), if you fly inside paramerers. Still there is nothing designated on the ground and you get the computed impact point. We do not (yet) have the GPS errors (horizontal and vertical) displayed on the SMS page, but I doubt these errors are modeled in detail.

So unless you fly against a mountain side or targets on a drastically different elevation the CCIP reticule for the gun should be quite accurate.

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

From the GPS and Terrain Matrix. Similar to the A-10Cs DTS. It's in that ominous manual, as well.

Except there is no refrence to in in that ominous manual. But there is a whole detailed chapter on how the ARBS works. Send me a page number if im wrong but ive spent a good ammount of time looking for this without finding it.

Edited by Harlikwin

Except there is no refrence to in in that ominous manual. But there is a whole detailed chapter on how the ARBS works. Send me a page number if im wrong but spent a good ammount of time looking for this.
Section 1.12 .17 "GPS usage considerations"... and basically the whole chapter about map coordinate integration into the MC via the MPS/DSU. Depending on the original map accuracy, of course, which serves as the basis for coordinate calculation.

Shagrat

Although changing between Baro Alt and Radar Alt changes the HUD altimeter reading, it does not change the CCIP's reticle position, so it seems that CCIP errors due to target elevation are not modelled.

It was more of a rhetorical question. And yes, either ARBS, or radar/baro/gps alt is how i know it to work. And no errors of target alt modled as far as i know. Either with this method or the ARBS. (I think someone tested the Arbs more recently and it might model error now, but i cant recall)

Section 1.12 .17 "GPS usage considerations"... and basically the whole chapter about map coordinate integration into the MC via the MPS/DSU. Depending on the original map accuracy, of course, which serves as the basis for coordinate calculation.

Tacman or natops.

Tacman or natops.
Tacman

The concept of the "digital map" includes elevation data, so the paper map processed into a digital map, depending on datum, resolution, accuracy determines the final precision the MPS can achieve/upload.

Shagrat

You might want to look into Tacman 1.12.14. Mission Planning System, also.

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat