Studder non stop on new machine

I’ll second this. Definitely the only solution is to cap FPS to 60.

i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz. Strix GTX1080Ti. 32GB RAM @ 3600. 2x Hyper X SSD’s with DCS on one. Oculus Rift S. Asus PG278-QR. Liquid Series PC with liquid CPU and GPU cooling.

He did say he set refresh to 60hz... but maybe he never tried VSync or a specific frame-rate cap...

CheckMate... How did you set that?

Also... why not just pick up an HP Reverb? They're superb.

Hi Guys,

This is not a track IR problem, but it does make it worse. I have cap my Frame Rate at 60 FPS and I have tried running Vsync, which I believe I am running now. But most importantly when running DCS I see the Frame Rate drop out very quickly and recover causing all objects in the sim from Terrain, fuel trucks, AI, other aircraft to momentary pause for a very quick second. These pauses keep happening ever 1 to 2 seconds and never stop. It does seem that Track IR makes the problem worse, but even if I pause Track IR while flying and look out at the ground below me I see these micro stutters still there and that make the sim feel so unrealistic that it is not really playable. It does not matter if I am at a high altitude or down low either. If you read the thread you will see I have tried everything recommended and even load another sim and their is no problem. The truth is this machine should have more than enough horse power to run DCS smoothly.

Also if you go online and in this forum you will see that this has been going on for a very long time. My guess is if it were fixable it would have been fixed by now and it's not affecting everyone so what makes my hardware so different. Sometime I feel like the whole sim is hiccupping while I fly. Even the B-sweep on the radar scopes skips a little. Very annoying.

Yes I checked the Event log while flying and even though there are few items in there I am assured that it has nothing to do with DCS and most people have some of these events and they are having any problems.

Regards,

Feetwet

He did say he set refresh to 60hz... but maybe he never tried VSync or a specific frame-rate cap...

CheckMate... How did you set that?

Also... why not just pick up an HP Reverb? They're superb.

Because I decided on Digital Storm

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X (32-cores)(Boost Up to 4.5 Ghz)

ASUS ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha (TRX40 Chipset)(Up to 4x PCI-E Devices)(Gen4 PCIe)

128GB DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)

1600W Corsair AX1600I (Digitally Controlled Power Supply)

3x SSD M.2 2 TB Seagate FireCuba 520)(NVW Express)(Gen4 PCIe)

Geforce RTX 2080 TI 11GB

H20: HydroLux Pro Custom Liquid Cooling System

Even those this is not fastest machine out there is comes pretty close and if this machine cannot run DCS then what can. There should not be only one kind of machine that can run DCS smoothly and some would say that this machine is pretty darn fast.

I tried Track IR on just core 4 and set it to priority and it had no difference. Yes I tried doing the same with DCS giving it 4 cores and move Track IR to another core. No change.

Very important that you know that I tried DCS with NO TRACK IR and their are still Micro stutters. There should not be any if you ask me. Truth be told they seem a little better, but they happen just as often and should not be their at all.

Feetwet.

Edited by Checkmate

I've just tested this on my side, and the TrackIR keeps working with Game bar on. Is it the same on your side? This would mean the Windows Game bar temporarily deactivates what's causing the bad interaction between DCS and the TrackIR. And I think it might be your mouse, since it is used by the Windows Game bar.

Would you please test a flight session with your mouse unplugged ?

If you have USB game controllers other than your HOTAS (ie. gamepads), please unplug them as well.

You haven't tried this yet, have you?

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

You haven't tried this yet, have you?

Hi Frappie,

Just tried switching mice and plugged in a wired mouse and still seeing those micro stutters. Thanks for idea it was good one. Also, I just checked and I have Game Bar set to off, probably because someone told me it was not necessary to have it on.

Regards,

Feetwet

Edited by Checkmate

I would like to bring this post to an end. But before I do, I would like to take the time to thank everyone who tried to help me resolve my issue. You guys are truly a dedicate bunch of professional individuals and I truly have a great respect for you dedication to DCS.

Now the question all of you are wondering, did I find a solution to my problem. The short answer is yes I did. Thanks to the time of one member of your community who realized that this was a new PC, he spent many hours helping me tweak and configure my system for Gaming and with his changes DCS began to run very well. I may see an occasional stutter two or three times in an entire mission, but that's probably just DCS, but compared to every second that's totally acceptable.

I am still testing the system, but so far it's been a joy to fly and a beautiful thing to watch. Hopefully, next I will put this system to the test and make it out to the carrier with my shinning new F/A-18 (on not so shiny) and seeing how it responds.

In the meantime, I sincerely want to take the time to thank this individual for their patients and hard effort in making it possible for me to fly DCS and thank you all for your help.

Best Regards,

Feetwet

P.S. I Look forward to flying on your wing any day. (Ok a little cheesy, but the second movie is due out soon so I am feeling a little nostalgic.) :joystick:

Edited by Checkmate

Great!

Just post at least what the solution was, everybody who runs (or fly's) into the same problem has a starting point then.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Great!

Just post at least what the solution was, everybody who runs (or fly's) into the same problem has a starting point then.

Hi Lange,

A DCS individual help me to cleanup my new machine by showing me how to turn-off processes running in the background that were not necessary for gaming. It's that simple. Since this computer has a processor with 32 Cores it requires Windows 10 Professional and from my understanding no matter what version of Windows 10 you are running there are processes running in the background that are using up valuable CPU cycles that DCS requires. Before I started this process I was seeing over 180 processes running in the background and now I am down to roughly 120.

It's not for me to say, because I do not want to risk messing up someone's machine and telling them to turnoff something that they might need, but I think a guide could be agreed upon for DCS that basically shuts down unnecessary processes until someday DCS is written to be more efficient across multiple cores and better utilizes the GPU of modern machines.

So far things seemed to be running well and I don't want to say much until I've had a chance to run everything to verify that all is working. I'm currently flying the F/A-18 and the F-5E using Track IR over the Nevada Map and the Persian Gulf and everything seems to working properly.

Again thank you all for your help and continued support.

Best Regards,

Feetwet

Back in XP days, BlackViper's website was a nice place to visit if you wanted to cut on Windows services (a lot of them run, "just in case" you might need it). But after Windows XP a lot less services could be stopped or had quite a bit less impact. For Windows 10 the list of services (those that are standard to Windows) that can be prevented from running is minor.

Normally you don't have to tangle with them to make things run smooth.

I guess in your case it was probably only one service which caused the hickups you were getting.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Back in XP days, BlackViper's website was a nice place to visit if you wanted to cut on Windows services (a lot of them run, "just in case" you might need it). But after Windows XP a lot less services could be stopped or had quite a bit less impact. For Windows 10 the list of services (those that are standard to Windows) that can be prevented from running is minor.

Normally you don't have to tangle with them to make things run smooth.

I guess in your case it was probably only one service which caused the hickups you were getting.

Probably, but I would never have guessed in a million years which one. But I am so grateful that we figured it out and even though this machine is pretty beefy, I have to ask the question, how many other people are having the same problem? Or why me and not others?

Feetet

no not havign the same problem , though it did inspire me to go clean some stuff up... no material impact but... tidy counts too :)

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Hi Frappie,

Just tried switching mice and plugged in a wired mouse and still seeing those micro stutters. Thanks for idea it was good one. Also, I just checked and I have Game Bar set to off, probably because someone told me it was not necessary to have it on.

Regards,

Feetwet

1000hz gaming mouse poll rate doesn't seem to work nice with DCS with some people, including me, the workaround is to get a 125hz mouse or a gaming mouse capable of selecting the pollrate preferrably.

The camera stutter effect gets worse with faster pollrate, so 250hz will have some, 500hz more, and 1000hz the worst.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

• 2 months later...

@Checkmate: I've just read that you still are experiencing stutters ingame. Have you MBAM (Malwarebytes Anti-Malware) installed on your computer ? If yes, it is probably the source of your issues. If not, I'd like you to run a litle experiment:

1. Press Windows key, type "msconfig" and press Enter.
  2. In the General tab, tick "Diagnostic startup" and click "Apply" (you will see some other boxes get ticked, it's OK).
  3. Click OK and choose to restart your computer.
  4. Log into Windows as usual.
  5. Launch DCS. You will get several error messages since your PC network is disabled. Just click OK until you see DCS main menu.
  6. Fly the Su-25T in an instant action mission and see if you experience any stutter.

Once you're done with testing, just open "msconfig", tick "Normal startup", click OK and restart your system.

After the reboot, everything will be back to normal. Launch DCS, try the same Su-25T instant action mission and see how it goes.

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

I have read that threadrippers have issues running games. Your 3970 is a threadripper. These cpus are designed for running many threads on many cores. Sometimes whole threads are moved from one core to another to optimize load. This however adds latency as well as other issues. To mitigate this, AMD has provided software to switch your cpu into game mode. Game Mode sits as an extra option in the AMD Ryzen Master software, compared to Creator Mode which is enabled by default. ... This disables cross-die thread migration, offers faster memory for applications that need it, and aims to lower the latency of the cores used for gaming by simplifying the layout. Are you running AMD ryzen master and have you switched to game mode?

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal