CASE I Landing Comparison + Advice

Steinsch

I made this video to compare the CASE I landing pattern between all four DCS naval jets (Hornet, Tomcat, Harrier and Flanker.)

I'm not an expert with any of them, but I like landing them right.

Regarding landing the Harrier, would the maore experienced pilots among you let me know how it could be improved?

The main problem I have is staying aligned with the tramline during the vertical descent above the landing spot. I give some rudder input, but the plane always rolls a little which messes up alignment and makes me touchdown by one or two meters on either side. And my OCD hates this...:lol:

Many thanks!

Steinsch

Flying Virtual F-15s since 1989

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/CommanderSteinsch

The Harrier on the "Tram line" of the Kuznetzov can't work, as it is not a tram line, but the center line of the angled(!!!) deck. A) the line moves away from your hover spot at an angle, together with the Kuznetzov steaming forward. B) your nose is at an angle to the wind, when you try to keep up with the carrier...

Your skill at keeping the Harrier in a stable hover is very good, but you need to align with the BRC, not the angled deck.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

The BRC matches the line extending from the landing spot (red marking).

That is your reference to align with.

On the Tarawa the tram line runs along the ship's centerline and is not angled, so there it works as a reference.

e32ed7e430debbc8de7e8847c03e4c6e.jpg

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

The BRC matches the line extending from the landing spot (red marking).

That is your reference to align with.

On the Tarawa the tram line runs along the ship's centerline and is not angled, so there it works as a reference.

Thank you Shagrat.

You're right, of course, about landing aligned with the BRC. Here I attempted to align with the angled deck for "cinematographic" purposes, with heading similar to other jets, and the extra challenge.

My problem with the slight rolling while decreasing power on descent for touchdown also occurs while aligned on BRC with the tramline of the Tarawa. I haven't figured out how to compensate for it.

You can see it here starting at 9:03. As I lose altitude to land, I tilt from side to side. RL Harrier landing videos seems to show a straight path downward. So I don't know if I mess up somewhere or if RL videos are misleading because of the filming angle, of if there is something weird with the DCS flight model.

Steinsch

Honestly, you handle the Harrier very good and precise in that videos.

What you need to keep in mind, you lack the feeling for drift and movement, so you only have the visual queues. And then you have a lack of peripheral vision compared to real life.

Combined this means it is very hard to anticipate drift or bank, before you "see" the movement in your Screen's/VR Headset's Field Of View.

Shagrat

Honestly, you handle the Harrier very good and precise in that videos.

What you need to keep in mind, you lack the feeling for drift and movement, so you only have the visual queues. And then you have a lack of peripheral vision compared to real life.

Combined this means it is very hard to anticipate drift or bank, before you "see" the movement in your Screen's/VR Headset's Field Of View.

It's true, I hadn't thought about that. Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

Steinsch