Spitfire propeller with motion smoothing (can anything be done devs?)

Wolf8312

Motion smoothing for me is the best thing that has happened to VR and DCS since getting it. Almost all of the modules are perfectly smooth with only a few artifacts here and there, that are more than compensated for by the fluid gameplay, and ability to increase graphics settings.

With MS planes such as the 190 and 109 are not affected by propeller artifacts in VR at all, and the mustang is to a much lesser, more playable extent. This is I think because the propellers in those modules, once they get going are practically invisible anyway.

The only trouble is my favorite module the spitfire, with a very heavy handed propeller is quite badly affected by motion smoothing artifacts. I know asking for the propeller to be changed so it works more like the 109's, might be impossible, but do you think devs that it might be possible to provide an option for VR users to tune it down, or try to optimize the spit so it can work better with motion smoothing/ASW? I know, probably not, due to how it would upset the rest of the DCS community not using VR who like the propeller as it is, but I just thought I would ask:)!

I honestly think for DCS performance its things like this that will improve the VR experience, perhaps even more than the coming VR optimizations and Vulkan. With MS on I find the game runs as well as a normal game.

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

I think you may be misunderstanding what Wolf is saying. He (and I) like what Motion Smoothing does for overall VR performance, but don’t like the effect it has on the Spit prop/gun sight.

The other prop planes don’t suffer the same issue, so he is asking if the devs could do something to allow the Spit prop to be toned down in VR.

It’s easy to switch Motion Smoothing off in SteamVR settings, but that’s not what is wanted here.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Yeah exactly motion smoothing is fantastic with most modules. A few graphical anomalies here and there but it’s a small price to pay for the almost flawless performance and ability to crank up the graphic settings. I’ve never been happier playing DCS, as it means things like smooth dogfighting whatever and wherever you are looking, is now possible.

Spitfire though, the artifacts are pretty hard to bear. And by the way Mastiff I am not on the rift but the VIVE we do have the same ability to turn off MS and get relatively smooth gameplay using another form of reprojection. But it’s not quite as smooth as MS especially in combat.

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Propeller the Spitfire is more pronounced than the other modules, it is not possible that you are using in the drivers Nvidia turned on MFAA antialiasing?

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

Propeller the Spitfire is more pronounced than the other modules, it is not possible that you are using in the drivers Nvidia turned on MFAA antialiasing?

Not sure what you are saying, but I don't think Nvidia CP even affects VR performance.

------------

If it is activated MFAA so that in DCS causes artifacts on the propeller,mainly for the Spitfire!

The less fps 45 by the quality of the propeller deteriorates.

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

If it is activated MFAA so that in DCS causes artifacts on the propeller,mainly for the Spitfire!

The less fps 45 by the quality of the propeller deteriorates.

Nah man MFAA is off.

------------