Freezing and stuttering

franx

I'm running Windows 10 with an AMD R390 grafix card and an AMD FX processor (8 core) 4 GHz Black Edition, on a Sabertooth 990 R2 motherboard. All my drivers are up to date.

I've also been buying and attempting to use DCS products for more than a decade. I've always had a stuttering problem, no matter what my rig, with DCS software. But with the latest 2.5 DCS World, the various modules are literally unusable -- constant freezing and stuttering.

I've now sunk several hundred dollars into DCS products, and I'm thoroughly fed up with performance that can only be described as consistently crappy.

My rig is more than powerful enough to handle DCS software. Is there some magic trick to make DCS programs work smoothly?? I really want to like what DCS offers, but I can't keep buying stuff that simply irritates me with its constant problems.

aka MadMonk; Windows 10, 64 bit, Radeon 6800XT gpu, Ryzen 5 5600 cpu, 32 gig ram; Samsung 2TB EVO SSD, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle and stick, Saitek combat rudder pedals; Oculus Rift.

Lock frames to Vsync , adjust graphics so you don't break it -voila .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I have the same CPU but really, the CPU has a (very) bad single core performance and DCS need that.

The engine of DCS is quite old and can not really handle more than 2 cores / threads.

I also see that as a big problem for DCS in the future.

You can not do much here except buy a better CPU.

Edited by Morphy

System:

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (Corsair H115i) | RAM Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-3200 | GPU Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 580 8GB

MB Asus Prime X470-Pro | SSDs Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Samsung 840 EVO 500GB, Corsair Force GT 120GB |

PSU Corsair AX1200i | Case Corsair Obsidian 750D A.E.

Peripheral:

Input Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS, Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, Logitech G502 Mouse, Tobii EyeTracker 4C |

Sound Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 2nd Gen. + t.bone SC400 + AKG K702

None of this worked. I turned my settings down to low; did the 512 every frame thing; and turned on Vysnc. Made no difference at all. DCS is simply unplayable. Really, this is inexcusable given the prices involved.

Any other suggestions are very welcome.

aka MadMonk; Windows 10, 64 bit, Radeon 6800XT gpu, Ryzen 5 5600 cpu, 32 gig ram; Samsung 2TB EVO SSD, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle and stick, Saitek combat rudder pedals; Oculus Rift.

What resolution is your monitor ? Refresh rate ? How much ram ? Are you running a pagefile ? SSD ?

I was formerly running a 1060 3gb at 1080p , 8gb ram and hard drive and it ran pretty smoothly above Vsync . This with med-hi settings .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I have the same CPU but really, the CPU has a (very) bad single core performance and DCS need that.

The engine of DCS is quite old and can not really handle more than 2 cores / threads.

I also see that as a big problem for DCS in the future.

You can not do much here except buy a better CPU.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Fx8350 benchmark 1509 Less than 2ghz intel !

OK, wanted to close out my concern.

The one thing I had not done was turn off mirrors. Doing that, along with the other actions I mentioned above seems to have helped a lot. Some occasional hiccupping remains, but at least the sim is playable now.

I've felt the same way as you franx since I got into DCS, did everything from tweaking bios settings to nv control panel, to in game settings, to process lasso with absolutely no improvement. HOWEVER, I seen someone's post regarding the current beta build 2.5.4 maxing out 2 cores on the cpu. Learning that I quick updated the beta and jumped in thinking we'll just give this a try not expecting any change. To my surprise, not one noticeable stutter during a quick action mission. Check it out, and let me know what you think.

OK, wanted to close out my concern.

The one thing I had not done was turn off mirrors. Doing that, along with the other actions I mentioned above seems to have helped a lot. Some occasional hiccupping remains, but at least the sim is playable now.

And shadows. It *EATS* FPS. Well, it does in VR, so I'm assuming it's the same for 2D. Try turning that off as well. Both Shadows (in the left and right side of the setup colum)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• 2 weeks later...
I've felt the same way as you franx since I got into DCS, did everything from tweaking bios settings to nv control panel, to in game settings, to process lasso with absolutely no improvement. HOWEVER, I seen someone's post regarding the current beta build 2.5.4 maxing out 2 cores on the cpu. Learning that I quick updated the beta and jumped in thinking we'll just give this a try not expecting any change. To my surprise, not one noticeable stutter during a quick action mission. Check it out, and let me know what you think.

Is this still working for you, Chumpnut?? If so, I may try it.

I feel like random freezing/stutter is due to CPU overloading. It happens a lot when AAA is firing at me or someone is shooting.

At that instant, the CPU usage on process explorer saturated for the thread 0xdfa000.

The second highest thread hooked to nvapi (nvidia api, not sure if it's sound or control the graphic render) is not any higher than 3% CPU (12.5% is saturation for 4 cores 8 threads)

I'm using a 3770 i7 and 1080Ti GPU. In normal situation, it's 60FPS even at trees/nap of the earth flying.

What happens here is likely the game simulation (ballistics/guidance/hitting) overloads the CPU, this causes real timing simulation to lag behind and the corresponding video frame rendering postponed accordingly. It's not a GPU limitation but CPU.

But here my take, 3770 is not a lot slower compared to recent CPUs in terms of frequency at single thread. And only recent update to 2.5 starts to slow things down. I think ED should really devote some time into such optimization. Some areas such as vecterization should be done. We can think of every object acting the same under gravity/drag/thrust. Thus SIMD should really help. Or maybe let GPU to handle some of those ballistic simulations.

Yes it is. Beta build is beautiful even on Normandy. Multiplayer will have the typical loading pauses when others are connecting and what not yet. Single player is pretty flawless. I was very critical on the stuttering in the past, because it was very immersion breaking. I was surprised as hell with the latest beta build.

Lock frames to Vsync , adjust graphics so you don't break it -voila .

Thissss!!!!

That's the only way I've ever been able to get DCS World to run reasonably nicely--so you can fly around smoothly without any jitter/stutter BS.

Actually hit anything with weapons, or have somebody eject, or a plane crashes (as they are apt to do in good combat sims?)

Stutter.

So, enable VSync in-game, and don't use any other framerate limiter of any kind. That's it--that's the best it'll ever run. And man oh man, have I ever burnt a lot of time messing around with this sim!!

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Thissss!!!!

That's the only way I've ever been able to get DCS World to run reasonably nicely--so you can fly around smoothly without any jitter/stutter BS.

Actually hit anything with weapons, or have somebody eject, or a plane crashes (as they are apt to do in good combat sims?)

Stutter.

So, enable VSync in-game, and don't use any other framerate limiter of any kind. That's it--that's the best it'll ever run. And man oh man, have I ever burnt a lot of time messing around with this sim!!

AD

I actually adjust my graphics so i don't break vsync low over Vegas with 12-15% cpu-gpu headroom . This gives me a little reserve to deal with some of the stutter-inducers .