[REPORTED]FPS sometimes hit hard while in a F/A-18 C

Lange_666

We’ve already started reporting it here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=224392

I left my post there as well, but I cannot find any word from the devs regarding the issue.

It has been already 20 days since Lange published his finding…

Don't get me wrong. I really enjoy flying the Hornet and I understand what the Beta is, but even a few words from the devs would be very appreciated.

HP Reverb, Intel I7 9700K, Zotac GTX 2080Ti, 32GB Ram @4000Mhz Corsair, SDD M.2 500GB Samsung 970 PRO

It has been already 20 days since Lange published his finding…

Don't get me wrong. I really enjoy flying the Hornet and I understand what the Beta is, but even a few words from the devs would be very appreciated.

I agree but that thread inadvertently got moved to the A-10C forum and has only just been moved back, so give it some time :). I’m going to try and make a video to highlight it when I get a free moment.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Might it also be an issue that we are comparing here a piece of software (A-10C) which was developed a decade ago against a fairly recent and ongoing development? The A-10C was built with the available hardware and technology in mind that was around at the beginning of this decade (or even slightly earlier). Hardware has evolved a bit in those ten years so I would expect you tend to build more performance-demanding software nowadays.

that right, the faster is the CPU the lazier is the programmer

that right, the faster is the CPU the lazier is the programmer

Or if you work for Microsoft, the more telemetry you can record... for improved user experience...

As with most things, you can have software developed quickly, cheaply, and optimized, but you can only pick 2.

Might it also be an issue that we are comparing here a piece of software (A-10C) which was developed a decade ago against a fairly recent and ongoing development? The A-10C was built with the available hardware and technology in mind that was around at the beginning of this decade (or even slightly earlier). Hardware has evolved a bit in those ten years so I would expect you tend to build more performance-demanding software nowadays.

Both modules are developed on the same DCS platform, there is no difference in respect to the "technology" at all. The cockpit graphics are more rich in Hornet that is for sure. Another thing I can buy is that Hornet is still in dev and has not been optimized to its best yet.

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

The A-10 will be getting it's cockpit updated soon. Maybe this comparison should wait until then. The current A-10 cockpit is very old.

Are you saying there is a chance for A-10 to get as slow as FA-18 is? :)

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

I was testing* the other day and noticed that turning (cockpit) shadows on made little difference in the A-10C, but in the F-18 caused a considerable fps drop. Have you tried turning shadows off?

I'm guessing all those extra details in the F-18 cockpit -> a lot of work for shadows / lighting.

Generally I do get lower fps in the F-18, but as stated, it's more complex graphically, and remains in early access.

And don't get too excited just yet, but there was some good VR news today.

*it was a very quick test, so sorry if I've got this wrong. And it was in Caucasus as I don't own PG.

Edited by Hippo

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Yep, the Hornet is really hard on FPS and it's made worse with any Hornet statics around. I was on the deck of the Stennis in the #1 spot starting up and when I looked over towards the island with a few Hornet statics in front and my FPS dropped to 53. My shadows are turned down low as well.

This poor performance really needs to be addressed but I have yet to see anyone from ED respond to any of the numerous threads about this issue.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

Yep, the Hornet is really hard on FPS and it's made worse with any Hornet statics around. I was on the deck of the Stennis in the #1 spot starting up and when I looked over towards the island with a few Hornet statics in front and my FPS dropped to 53. My shadows are turned down low as well.

This poor performance really needs to be addressed but I have yet to see anyone from ED respond to any of the numerous threads about this issue.

This thread is not about general poor performance with the F-18. Its about specific cases (usually after landing) where FPS plummets to about 50% of what it should be, for no obvious reason. Some performance difference between the A-10C and the Hornet is to be expected, purely because of the age difference of the modules.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

+1 for this!

I can't really complain about gameplay smoothness currently. Initially, when EA was made available there was lots of stutter and other glitches including crashes on exit (every time!)

I don't remember at which point these issues disappeared or what changes occurred on my rig (without my input;)). Currently no crashes, Everything runs smooth (no slowdowns when flying through explosions/smoke etc. I don't count frames or perform scientific tests though. If the play is smooth, no stutter, no delay in controls I/O... I'm happy!

My rig is not exactly a top gaming rig but it's fairly high end: I9 running at default freq., Nvidia GTX1080, couple of SSD's running in raid 0 (not for gaming purpose) and Rift VR set.

I did notice a slight slowdown when I set VR pixel density above 1.3 - currently have it set to 1.2

My current in-game settings (in combination with Nvidia's CP)

Edited by Gripes323

This thread is not about general poor performance with the F-18. Its about specific cases (usually after landing) where FPS plummets to about 50% of what it should be, for no obvious reason. Some performance difference between the A-10C and the Hornet is to be expected, purely because of the age difference of the modules.

My apologies. I did not mean to derail or hijack the thread, however...low FPS, FPS drops, stutters, etc... it's all the same and is happening in all types of situations and stages of flight. There are some underlying performance issues in DCS with the Hornet and hopefully the solution will fix all of this. For starters though, I just want to see ED acknowledge all of our posts.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

• 2 weeks later...

Its something related to the ground physics I think, but why its only happening sometimes (for various modules), well thats the million dollar question.

Last night I had it happen in the Hornet again. Had been flying in and out of Gudauta a few times, and came in for my 3rd rearm/refuel, when on touch down (smooth fine landing) I suddenly got bad performance, as in from 45 to 30 fps in VR. Wondered if it could be some kind of damage causing it, so I went ahead and requested a repair, and the second the plane was off the ground, fps was fine. Repair did its thing, and the second the plane was on the ground again, bad fps. And this was with everything shut down, plane just sitting their cold now, with bad fps. Fired it up again, took off, and voila, the second the wheels came off the ground, snap 45 fps.

Of course I forgot to save the track, and have since flow again. Maybe Ill learn to save the track next time. I have this Quit to Desktop habbit.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Your lucky. Flying the shark, I get freezes that can last for about 10 seconds at times.

I've read of other people complaining about the same thing though (bad fps and freezes), so I think ED is aware of this. It's probably due to the new engine, and it seems to be causing problems across the spectrum with both new and old modules.

Edited by 3WA

Would it have some thing to preload radius .

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

Its something related to the ground physics I think, but why its only happening sometimes (for various modules), well thats the million dollar question.

Last night I had it happen in the Hornet again. Had been flying in and out of Gudauta a few times, and came in for my 3rd rearm/refuel, when on touch down (smooth fine landing) I suddenly got bad performance, as in from 45 to 30 fps in VR. Wondered if it could be some kind of damage causing it, so I went ahead and requested a repair, and the second the plane was off the ground, fps was fine. Repair did its thing, and the second the plane was on the ground again, bad fps. And this was with everything shut down, plane just sitting their cold now, with bad fps. Fired it up again, took off, and voila, the second the wheels came off the ground, snap 45 fps.

Of course I forgot to save the track, and have since flow again. Maybe Ill learn to save the track next time. I have this Quit to Desktop habbit.

Yeah this is exactly what I experience intermittently, wheels touch the ground and then it’s sttttttuutter City.

Proud owner of:

• 4 weeks later...

I've made a thread about this in another forum section assuming it was an issue that was isolated to my PC. While I'm glad to know it's not just me I did find a few easy ways to reproduce this. You can view my post history for the photographic evidence.

Using the instant action Hornet "Ready on ramp" NTTR mission and looking over your left wing at mission start will consistently and always lower fps by 45% to even upwards of 50%. From 60FPS down to 33FPS. (With vsync off.) Compare this to the same instant action NTTR harrier missions that'll run without such a severe drop.

This is using a system that is completely overkill for my resolution. The fact that the frames drop by nearly half on an RTX2080,8700k, 16gigs of ram at 1080p indicated a pretty severe issue.

I've actually noticed the same behavior with the Hornet using both custom and the instant action scenario I listed above on two separate PCs with nearly identical specs, with the exact same results.

Edit: Here is my post in question with pictures. Another user who was kind enough to check the same scenario also had the same performance.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3715100&postcount=9

Edited by Gimbal

I've made a thread about this in another forum section assuming it was an issue that was isolated to my PC. While I'm glad to know it's not just me I did find a few easy ways to reproduce this. You can view my post history for the photographic evidence.

Using the instant action Hornet "Ready on ramp" NTTR mission and looking over your left wing at mission start will consistently and always lower fps by 45% to even upwards of 50%. From 60FPS down to 33FPS. (With vsync off.) Compare this to the same instant action NTTR harrier missions that'll run without such a severe drop.

This is using a system that is completely overkill for my resolution. The fact that the frames drop by nearly half on an RTX2080,8700k, 16gigs of ram at 1080p indicated a pretty severe issue.

I've actually noticed the same behavior with the Hornet using both custom and the instant action scenario I listed above on two separate PCs with nearly identical specs, with the exact same results.

Edit: Here is my post in question with pictures. Another user who was kind enough to check the same scenario also had the same performance.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3715100&postcount=9

I looked at your post, my only point would be that when you look over your left shoulder there are a BUNCH of static F-18s in shot, all reasonably close to camera. lots of F-18s on screen do a pretty good job of tanking the FPS in most situations, the model is extremely high detail compared to most other models in the sim. So this wouldn't surprise me.

What I suggest you do is open that exact mission up in mission editor (so it keeps all the static aircraft). Swap your F-18 for another aircraft and look in the same direction, my betting would be that you'll also see the same framrate drop from all the static F-18s in view. The other things you could do is keep your plane as the F-18 and swap all the statics to something much more FPS friendly like the old AI only F-18 (Just listed as F-18C afaik and not Lot-20) and see what that does.

If you don't know how to open the instant action missions in the mission editor then you could just create a test mission with a bunch of parked static F-18s that you spawn near and see if that has a similar effect on your FPS. Then do the switch out test i described above.

I always use the old F-18 model for static F-18s for this reason as the new F-18 model is an FPS hog when used in big numbers imho.

The issue OP and I are having here is a massive frame rate drop in situations where there are no other aircraft in frame. So perfectly fine FPS before touchdown then the moment the wheels hit the ground our FPS gets cut in half for no reason. Unlike your issue (imho) this isn't related to whats going on screen.

Edited by Deano87

Proud owner of:

Why has this been moved again when it only effects the F-18? Surely if it’s an F-18 bug it should be in the F-18 bug section?

Proud owner of:

• 3 weeks later...

Don't mean to necro this post, but I'm having the same problems as all of you.

I noticed that this became a problem with the F-18 specifically.

I have a really good computer rig and my VR (Rift) works flawlessly with the other planes I own (F-15, AV8b, Su-33 etc etc), granted, the F-15 model and Su-33 really aren't high detailed as the F-18, but the AV8b Harrier is really good and probably on par with the Hornet. The difference is that I never, ever, go below 45 fps or 90 in the air in VR with the Harrier. Does not matter if I'm on the ground looking at all the other static planes or flying between buildings in the PG map with other planes, it's flawless, even with OBS on streaming, I never lose a frame.

So why this is such an issue with the F-18 kinda bothers me since I thought it would perform as good as the Harrier with my VR setup. It's not close. I at least figured out that the big problems is with the static F-18 next to me, because every time I look at them, my frames crashes into oblivion. I hope this issue gets the love it deserve.

Same here,VFR landing instant actions on NTTR/Persian Gulf (will check Caucasus later) 40-50% or more FPS drop while on the ground, especially when looking towards open hangars - lots of Hornets parked there. Issue occurs both in VR and 2D

Edited by mdee