[REPORTED] ADF Issues

Buckram

Trying to figure out the ARK-15M system and I can't seem to interact with the intercom panel above the VHF radio panel.

Pilot error?

Edited by Buckram
incorrect wording

Achieving World Peace - One 2000lb JDAM at a time.

Intel i7 9700K, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz , ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 TI OC, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S.

~

Proud Member of the 62nd Fighting Falcons

~

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ARK-15 ADF in the YAK52

The ADF system in the YAK52 is a little awkward to get your head around. You need to first understand the philosophy. The YAK52 is a short ranged aircraft (180nm max). It was designed to fly in a limited area of operation. Russian practice is to place to NDB/Markers along the approach path of the main runway. The furthest one out being the “Outer marker” and the closest in being the “Inner marker”. These typically support an ILS as well to provide a distance reference to those on the ILS. It was also Russian practice that both runways directions each had a set of markers and were on the same Freq though only one runway direction in use at a time.

Understanding this adds some sense to the YAK52 ADF setup. A total of 8 NDB's can be selected in the YAK52. The tuning of the desired frequency is a maintenance task (In the sim in the Mission Editor) and in the aeroplane is done before flight on a control unit located in the fuselage behind the rear seat. Lots of tumblers and switch flicking! So once configured that is all the pilot can tune. Using the Channel Selector with 4 positions.

Innerouter.jpg

Recall the concept of Outer and Inner. With this in mind Each Channel has 2 Frequencies assigned to it. The pilot selects the desired Channel with the ADF control unit, then uses the switch on the coaming to select either the “outer” or the “inner” station.

Outer logically being selected with the switch to the Left … pointing “outside” the cockpit, and the “inner” with the switch pointing “inside” the cockpit. There is nothing to stop you simply presetting up to 8 NDB's as you wish. You just need to know what Channel and what switch is required for each NDB. Remember each Channel can have 2 NDB's assigned to it.

In the cockpit

The ADF is controlled by the ADF power switch on the left console and the ADF control unit on the right console. When the Power switch is turned on the Green light on the ADF panel is illuminated. This light directly indicates which controller is operating the ADF front or Back. The small button behind the light transfer control to the other cockpit. On initial turn on the front cockpit control panel should be initially in control. (Bug in sim at present *Sim Bug1)

Adfpower.jpg

Adfsmall.jpg

The Channel selector labelled 1-4 selects the required channel to be used. Remember up to 2 NDB's can be assigned to each channel.

The two Switches behind the the Channel selector Control Interphone input from the ADF and operating mode. The Left switch determines what you hear from the ADF. In the rear position you will hear the NDB morse ident. In the forward position you will hear voice modulation if it is being used. The Volume rheostat controls this voice or Ident volume. (Bugged at present #Sim Bug2)

The outer switch selects Between ADF mode or Loop mode. The usual mode is ADF with the switch in the forward position. In this mode the ADF single needle will point to the NDB on the main Compass/RMI. This is how it is normally used. The Rear position is the loop mode in this position the ADF single needle will show the current direction of the ADF antenna.

The Test button causes the ADF needle to rapidly move to the 160 deg position on the compass/RMI. When released it will return to its previous position.

Compass/Radio Magnetic Indicator (RMI)

On the front panel displays either Gyro Magnetic heading or Straight Gyro heading as selected by thr GMK-1A panel. Usually it always displays Gyro magnetic heading. Heading is read against the small triangle at the 12 P clock position. The dual needle is a pilot selectable Course needle. You set the desired course by rotating the knob near the RMI. Typically you would set the desired course into an NDB station … like Runway heading.

Yak52_RMI.jpg

The single needle will point to the tuned NDB. Get the NDB needle inside the Course needle and you tracking inbound into the NDB on the required course. Bugged at moment (%Sim Bug3)

Using the system

Lets say you are based at Senaki for training and will be operating in that area. Your Home airfield will usually be in Channel 1. Looking at the data Senaki uses an outer NDB freq of 335Khz and an Inner freq of 688khz. You enter these in the ME as shown.

Yak52_ADFTune.jpg

The other airfields you may use are Kobuleti, Sukhumi, Kutaisi and Batumi. You decide to tune :

Kobuleti to Ch 2 Outer 870Khz, Inner 490Khz

Sukhumi to Ch 3 Outer 489Khz, Inner 995Khz

Now Kutaisi and Batumi only have a single NDB so you can put One in Channel 4 outer and the other in Channel 4 Inner so you presetting

Kutaisi Ch 4 Outer 477Khz

Batumi Ch4 inner 430Khz

So you have preset the maximum of 8 NDB frequencies for use in your training area. Doing this in the Mission Editor simulates doing so in the aeroplane.

You would then have a data card either in the aeroplane or you kneeboard that might look something like this:

ADFkneepad.jpg

Flying

You are out in the training area and want to go home to Senaki. Weather is not super so elect to use the ADF system to get you home and fly a twin locator approach. The Duty runway is Rwy 09. So you want to get to the Outer NDB associated with Rwy 09 Senaki. You select CH 1 and the Outer/Inner switch to Outer. The ADF needle turns to point at Senaki outer NDB/Marker. You check the ident switch is set to Ident and turn up the vokume. You heare the Outer NDB morse ident it checks out so you are sure you are tuned to the Senaki Outer NDB Marker. To help your tracking you adjust the course pointer so it sits over the NDB needle. You track towards the NDB.

You know the runway course in Senaki is 089. As you approach the NDB you adjust the course switch to 089.Then depending on what you want to do you can position yourself to intercept the 089 course inbound to the outer NDB/Marker. As you fly over the outer the NDB needle will spin around, you simply flick the Outer/Inner switch to Inner and the inner marker is selected, the NDB needle spins around to point at the inner NDB/Marker.

Of course in reality you would have specific Altitudes and rats of descent to fly to get to a landable position by the inner marker.

Bugs/Not yet implimented

*Sim Bug :1 To get ADF powered turn on ADF with Power switch in front seat Left Console. Jump in rear seat press ADF Transfer button … Green ON light comes on. Jump in front seat press Transfer Button note Green light comes on. (Should default to this on turning main ADF switch power on)

#Sim Bug 2: KOMN/AHT switch and TN0 Tnt switch functions are swapped.

%Sim Bug 3: ADF needle is the thin one … .not animated yet.

(All bugs reported 3 Aug 2018)

The Above in PDF attached:

DCS ADF in Yak52.pdf

Edited by IvanK

Ah, thank you very much. I feel like an idiot, this post is a real gem. Thank you very much, Ivan.

Achieving World Peace - One 2000lb JDAM at a time.

Intel i7 9700K, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz , ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 TI OC, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S.

~

Proud Member of the 62nd Fighting Falcons

~

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ARK Inoperative

I'm unable to follow instructions on page 78 of the manual. When pressing the («УПРАВ. АРК») button, nothing happens. The light does not turn green. And the needle stays pinned to 12 o'clock. Frame button has no effect on needle position.

However, I am able to select channels and near their signal identifiers in using TLF + ANT. I have waited up to 3 minutes for it to come alive.

• 2 months later...

When I turn on the Ark 15 I can hear the morse code identifier that I set up in the mission editor, but in compass mode the needle doesn't swing to the beacon and stays fixed pointing straight ahead. I see that at some point in august the needle was not animated, has it not yet been implemented?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i was dissapointed to see the ADF still not working.

i understand that it is still early access, but a working ADF is crucial to basic operations.

Would be nice, if this could get sorted out in a timely manner...

Edited by twistking

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
Just took this lovely bird out for a spin. Noticed this issue is still happening. Is this going to be fixed at all?

How is possible after 1 year :( ?

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

• ED Team

Hi all

this has been reported for a while and we are aware.

The YAK will get some love after some of our other projects are closer to completion.

Thank you for your patience.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2