Low Resistance of Mi-8 - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-13-2018, 02:58 PM   #11
msalama
Veteran

Quote:
...and continuing on like it doesn't care.
It survived the initial hit but crashed on landing later, or that's the story at any rate. Now ours still appears a bit weak perhaps, but see my note above still - didn't fail instantly either.
Hey doubters, check this out: "P-51D has another variant with new higher octane coming later, the K-4 and D-9 are getting new cockpits, all the WWII warbirds are getting their cooling reworked, and a DM is in internal testing"
msalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 03:17 PM   #12
Brixmis

Deleted - irrelevant.

Last edited by Brixmis; 12-13-2018 at 03:29 PM.
Brixmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:46 PM   #13
Rogue Trooper

Guys, it is the AI ground troops!
Those guys are top notch regardless of who they are.
The regular troopers fire and lead like highly trained spec ops.

If you have weapon, then yours will reach further than theirs.
Rogue Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:19 AM   #14
Cik

partly it's the aiming AI, but partly it's the fact that a single 5.45 can terminally rape your engine, so if you get 5-15 5.45 round shot at you you can lose both engines, catch fire, lose all your governors, lose all your autopilots, etc.

huey and mi-8 both are really fragile. i don't really think the hit locations are even being modeled, or if they are the AI is supernaturally good at aiming and aims directly at those subcomponents with 99% accuracy. any bullet with a TOF of <3 seconds you are going to get roasted, regardless of how big the bullet is it seems.
Cik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:00 AM   #15
msalama
Veteran

Quote:
huey and mi-8 both are really fragile
Huey is sturdier of the two in my experience.
Hey doubters, check this out: "P-51D has another variant with new higher octane coming later, the K-4 and D-9 are getting new cockpits, all the WWII warbirds are getting their cooling reworked, and a DM is in internal testing"
msalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:10 AM   #16
Vitormouraa
Veteran

Yes.

Especially the crew.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:58 PM   #17
Alpenwolf

Thanks for starting this thread. I was wondering myself, because the Mi-8 does look bloody fragile. And yeah, AI ground units are relentless when it comes to accuracy.

The Ka-50 for example, can absorb a good load of bullets and even maybe a MANPAD shot and still be ok.

Server's Dedicated Thread:
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=211361

Helicopters Tournaments:
https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=469

You can help with keeping up the server by donating using PayPal to the following email address:
hokumyounis@yahoo.com
Alpenwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 10:30 PM   #18
fargo007

A Huey stops to pick up an Mi-8 pilot & crew somewhere in the Persian Gulf.

Huey Pilot: "What'd ya get shot down by? A SAM?"

The Mi-8 pilot refuses to acknowledge.

Huey Pilot: "A manpad?"

The Mi-8 pilot still refuses to acknowledge.

Huey Pilot: "A DshK?"

The Mi-8 pilot still refuses to acknowledge.

Huey Pilot: "JUST TELL ME WHAT IT WAS!!!"

From in the back, one of the Mi-8 crew pipes up:

"It obliterated us so fast we're not sure, but most likely it was a dirty look."

You dig rotorcraft? Training, Quals, Missions, & FUN. Ask me about joining the Black Sharks!
fargo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 01:50 AM   #19
Varis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cik View Post
partly it's the aiming AI, but partly it's the fact that a single 5.45 can terminally rape your engine, so if you get 5-15 5.45 round shot at you you can lose both engines, catch fire, lose all your governors, lose all your autopilots, etc.

huey and mi-8 both are really fragile. i don't really think the hit locations are even being modeled, or if they are the AI is supernaturally good at aiming and aims directly at those subcomponents with 99% accuracy. any bullet with a TOF of <3 seconds you are going to get roasted, regardless of how big the bullet is it seems.
Hmm that's an interesting point of view. I guess there's a bunch of things in ED & partners damage models which are weird, incomplete, or not fine tuned. From the Hawk that could tank several missiles to mistral (vikhr?) hits that apparently score no damage... Also the story could often be more interesting and refined than what you think.

Just read the Mills book - an OH-6 littlebird was basically flying over the enemy base camp for hours at low altitude and low speeds. Reportedly some 30 bullet holes from AK-47 (7.62mm?) and the thing was still flying fine. It depends a lot on your luck and where it hits. Mills was also shot down a couple of times.

What I understand of Mi-8/Mi-24 survivability it's mostly due to it being empty space. Probably goes to the Huey as well.

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS --- Heli tournament 4
Varis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 02:10 PM   #20
159_Archer

I do think the Hip is far too fragile in game -I fly it quite a bit and generally speaking when you encounter troops you hear 'tink, tink, grind, crash bang etc' and next action is to call for an ambulance. I try to keep moving near any OPFOR and avoid being stationary.

Like most here I can only speculate, but from reading such books as 'Chickenhawk' about Hueys in 'Nam, they could (depending upon where hit of course) take quite a few hits and be mostly untroubled. The Hip must surely be at least as robust as the Huey.

159th Guards Aviation Regiment; recruiting now! http://www.159thgar.com/
Su-27/33 Su-25 Ka-50 Mi-8 MiG-21 A-10c
159_Archer is offline   Reply With Quote